US politics - cooked

The road (river?) that many in America are taking is one of Denial.

Denial that racism exists and needs to be addressed.

Denial that by any scientific measure 10% of the population is likely gay, and that transgendered Americans deserve the same human rights as everyone else.

Denial that anti-semitism is rising at a rapid pace.

Denial that guns ARE the problem particularly in a society that puts self above the collective.

Denial that to be poor in this country means the complete loss of oneā€™s dignity.

Denial that all the things that in any other first world nation would be a right (healthcare, education, clean air and water) are solely the privileges of the rich.

Denial that giving others the same rights as you in NO WAY diminishes your centuries of structural power and advantages.

Denial. Denial. Denial.

All the way to the grave.

14 Likes
11 Likes

I think they would deny all of that.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the ABC article:

My favourite line from the article:

ā€œRhodes, who wears an eye patch after accidentally shooting himself in the face with his own gun, founded the Oath Keepers in 2009.ā€

14 Likes

How the fark do you accidentally shoot your own face?

Accidentally, of course :wink:

Yet more evidence heā€™s not the sharpest knife in the block.

Kind of like this, but with a gunā€¦

16 Likes

STEWART! PUT THATā€¦ oh no. Not again.

1 Like

ā€œWelp, I had tuh look down the barrul to see if there was any of them bullets in there. Safety always comes first, doncha know.ā€

Iā€™m willing to bet genuine money he was posing for a photo with his gun, trying to look badass.

Human gun rack comes to mind.

NSFW. BBit cheeky.

Darwin, you had one job.

3 Likes

Apparently dropped his gun and it went off.

Looking down the barrel of course to see if it is straight.

ā€œYessiree bob! Canā€™t have any ā€œbentā€ rifles in this here county. Only good, ā€œstraightā€ god-fearing Republican guns 'round hereā€

2 Likes

CNN have posted an interview with the ex wife of Stewart Rhodes. It is a devastating indictment of Rhodes, by a person who absolutely, without any reservation, without any emotion supports the sentence. Worth listening to.

On the international politics front, one for you @Sniggles :
On the occasion of Kissingerā€™s 100th birthday, the US has declassified some documents, including in the Pinochet context.
El Pais EL site has an article on this.

english.elpais.com

1 Like

The fact Kissinger made it to 100 is one of those things that reinforces my general lack of spiritual belief.

8 Likes