US politics - fried (part 5)

And they’ve overthrown democratically elected governments in Latin America to install clones of him in power too.

3 Likes

It appears Trump has normalised this type of rhetoric in US politics. It seems to wash over people now every day as regularly as the tide. The big question is will those who reject it bother to vote in 12 months time.

1 Like

Trumps ongoing tirade of name calling and abuse is certainly sinister, but, it seems for far right candidates, persistence pays off: Note Winders win in Holland, on the back of anti immigration, anti islam, and potentially anti EU sentiment lurking in the psyche of ordinary dutch people. In Italy Meloni is right wing but tame compared with Wilders, who is extreme compared with even Boris.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/11/new-deal-us-economy-american-dream/676051/

Why America Abandoned the Greatest Economy in History

Was the country’s turn toward free-market fundamentalism driven by race, class, or something else? Yes.

2 Likes
1 Like

Is Trump aspiring to be Mao now?

2 Likes

Really should read “…but a cult revolution”. That’s what it is, a cult of ignorance being celebrated as enlightenment

5 Likes

The National Christmas Tree in Front of the White House in Washington, D.C. has Fallen.

The Tree which President Biden was set to Light on Thursday Night during a Ceremony was Struck earlier tonight by a Large Gust of Wind causing it to Fall; the National Park Service is currently Investigating to determine whether the Tree is still Salvageable.

The GOP is going to have a field-day suppressing voters.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say he’s incorrect, but Trump’s cultural effect isn’t what Jr believes it is

1 Like

And it continues…

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/uae-officially-stops-using-dollar-for-oil-trades/ar-AA1kCMxH

1 Like

Interesting. I’m not convinced this will have an impact on the primacy of the USD in facilitating global trade. This feels like more of an exercise to extract concessions from I’m assuming China.

There just isn’t an alternative currency that is as trustworthy as the USD. China and Russia both manipulate the absolute ■■■■ out of their currency. Brazil is a basket case, South Africa no better. India ain’t stepping up to that plate. BRICS is too fragmented and self interested to forgo the benefits of currency manipulation.

The USD is not just accepted, it’s desired in almost every country of the world. Trades in USD don’t need conversion into local currency that nobody wants. The UAE doesn’t actually want a surplus of roubles, because it’s a currency that is completely useless on the global market. Avoiding the USD will make trade more complicated and cumbersome, so countries will only do it for geopolitical drivers. The global oil market will remain pegged to the USD, it will just end up going through an extra conversion factor for trade with the UAE.

As I said, interesting and something that I’ll be sure to keep an eye on, but I’d be stunned if it shifts the dial by much. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

And there we go.

The rebuttal to my post, is that the UAE’s currency is still pegged to the US dollar.

2 Likes

:joy:

That’s legitimately hilarious.

2 Likes

Your point remains. US dollar is still king and will probably be for a bit.

2 Likes

Seemed like a perfectly thoughtful response to your post.

This is potentially a very big deal. Putting it in the US politics thread, but it could just as easily be in the general world politics thread or even the West Taiwan thread.

Arrests made in the US of Indian citizens for plotting to murder US citizen Sikh activists in the USA, apparently with the backing of the Indian intelligence services.

Modi’s been leading the indian government in an increasingly violent and Hindu-supremacist direction for some years, of course, but US (and Australian) politicians have largely looked the other way as India has been useful both economically and geopolitically, as part of the broader global strategy to contain Chinese power. Something like this - naked murder of American citizens on American soil - may be harder to ignore though.

5 Likes

Earlier this year Canada called India out for the same thing (different victims).

5 Likes

I do think that multiple western governments are turning to the Indians and saying “what the fck dudes?”

1 Like

Yeah, I think the difference is that Canada never arrested anyone, and it became a matter of your word vs theirs.

The US have actually arrested the guy, and have all sorts of recordings etc of him talking to Indian intelligence, changing the schedule of the murder so as not to embarrass Modi during a major India/US summit etc. And it’s all going to come out in court documents.

3 Likes