US Politics Thread - Post Mueller Edition

McCain would have told them to stop. But then again he wouldn’t have needed to do so.

1 Like

@AVanderScreamer has answered this, the Mueller report supports this (and you were pointing to that as proof when we just had Barr’s precise), and there are numerous articles on their interference here and in European elections and referendums.

But its pretty established that your view on the Russian interference is pretty different to mine, so we’re probably not going to see eye-to-eye here.

This is partly my bad, I meant to write “didn’t vote or voted third parties”, but somehow on the page only part of that got written down. Dems definitely need to increase their vote, Trump didn’t get anymore votes than Romney, but Hillary was down on Obama. That needs to be fixed, whether that was due to people voting third party or not voting.

But to be clear, I absolutely think anyone who didn’t vote, or voted third party, in a state where it was close helped Trump win. The US is a first past the post system, and the simple, practical reality of that is that if you don’t vote for your candidate, your helping the opposition do better (and maybe win).

You do know that if you want to push policies that will appeal to more, that means rejecting a lot of the progressive policies you argue for? The US presidential and senate elections are based far more on geography than voter count.

The progressive stances feeds well to the base, but the base is too concentrated on either coast. The votes you need for the presidency and to control the senate may not be a large % of the Democrat base, but they sit in states which have a lot more (proportional to population) votes.

And those have to be won back.

Trump is abandoning the center and trying to turn out the conservative right. He’s hoping the increase in voter enthusiasm on the far right will outweigh any loss of moderates. By focusing on the AOC types, he makes the Democrats look more extreme.

The Dem primary will be critically important. If the Dems pick a candidate who can appeal to the center and motivate the far left, they win. If they alienate the center, or don’t turn out their base, they lose.

Trump needs a lot to go right. He won over the traditionally democratic rust belt by promising economic recovery. He hasn’t delivered. If the Democrats can convince these states that economic interests are better served by a democratic candidate, then Trump is done.

Shall be interesting to watch.

1 Like

Yes indeed, quite fascinating.

I’m really enjoying the 538 podcast, focusing on the strategies of the different candidates and trying to use data and polling to follow developments.

1 Like

You’re probably thinking of it already but he quite famously did say “stop” to one of his supporters who went Birther on him at a town hall.

1 Like

I like it but Roy Moore lost in Alabama to the Democrat Doug Jones and DJ’s pitch was basically “I’ll be boring”. It was a potent response to Roy Moore’s mix of theocracy and chasing underage girls.

I see your wily scheme.
You want me to say yay for Alabama.
It won’t work.

The main problem I have to accept with my theory is that whatsisname was more boring than Morrison.
Ouch.

1 Like

Good on the people of Minnesota.

4 Likes

I hate to say “as I said” but, as I said:

2 Likes

You should move to a country that has a Democracy I reckon DonMania.

2 Likes

Where the fark would that be ?

2 Likes

Plans in motion.

1 Like

We’ve still got Dutton. You’re ■■■■■■, or do you like Nauru?

You do realise our senate works the same way?

Who said I was heading your way? :joy:

I mean I’d like to but let’s just say I am ■■■■ out of luck.

Volviendo a España?

1 Like
1 Like

We got another episode of the long running and impeccably insider sourced “Ivanka pushed back against her father’s…” stories re: “Send her back”. Never meaningful action, or an actual public stand, always post hoc fig leaf maintenance by Javanka.

1 Like