Used Car Recommendations

Okay, bit of vanity posting.

Some of you may have seen where I posted that my parked car got written off after some friggin' moron drove into it.

So I need a new old one.

Looking at 5-8K, which puts me in about the 2002-2006, <160K range.

Like a bit of power.

Will not buy a Toyota.

Not keen on Holden or Ford.

Not buying a friggin' Kia or the like.

Pretty much leaves Mitsubishi (which would be a replacement.  Not averse to a Magna or Lancer), Nissan, or European cars - SAAB, Audi, Renault...can't see myself drving a Peugeot....

Anyway, I'm not a car person.  Do the European need that much upkeep?  I'm not gonna change the oil every five minutes, so anything that needs that crap is right out.

Anyway, suggestions please.

Please make sure deliberately unhelpful replies are at least funny.

Edit:  Oh, and I don't give a fat rats about fuel consumption.  One mile per gallon is fine with me, as long as I don't have to replace a fan-belt, ever.

Got an 06 Elantra recently for 7.5k(well 3k after trade in) great little car.

I’ve had 314 subarus, and none of them has ever had anything wrong. Faultless. They retain their value, so might be a bit pricier.

You forgot Honda. They're okay.

Lol changing the oil regularly is probably the most important maintenance you can do on any vehicle, will save you having to do lots of other ■■■■ over the cars lifespan.

I’d by a 4GEN Subaru Liberty, should be able to get one that’s done under 150000 ks for that money. Provided it’s had regular servicing & oil changes you’ll be very happy

Lol changing the oil regularly is probably the most important maintenance you can do on any vehicle, will save you having to do lots of other **** over the cars lifespan.
I'd by a 4GEN Subaru Liberty, should be able to get one that's done under 150000 ks for that money. Provided it's had regular servicing & oil changes you'll be very happy

Yeah....that's exactly what I'm talking about.

The oil was changed on my last car when it got serviced, and never so much as hiccuped until some ■■■■■■■■ murdered it.

I don't want a car persons car.  I don't want something that runs great if you look after it.

I specifically don't want to look after it.

Thanks, though.

Having said that, don't Subarus win those 100 day races through the desert?

That sounds like my sort of car.

Change the oil regularly in a liberty or forester and you’ll get 400000+ ks out of it no worries. Ditto an imprezabut if you’re buying one of those second hand there’s a much higher chance the previous owner has thrashed the hell out of it cause that’s what imprezas are for

Mitsubishi Magnas go and go and go.......forever.  Need an excuse to buy a new car every year?  (not saying that you do).. then don't buy a Mitsubishi.

All you need to do is maintain the services and...................well, thats about it.  Oh yeah, fill the windscreen washer container up when it needs it.

Damn car starts every time too.  No matter what the weather, so I cannot find an excuse to buy that really fancy thing I'd like to.

Sorry Wim, but Magna?

‘They’re a bit ■■■■’

For that sort of money I’d go like Barge said and get a liberty or look at something like a VW Passat. Everyone with that sort of coin wants a golf so the results are you find some great value Passats. The come in that vintage as either a 1.8 litre turbo or a 2.8 litre v6 so they are plenty willing with all the mod cons, vdubs are very reliable too.

The problem with European cars is that they almost all use premium unleaded (95) unless they are diesels. Also, the parts are incredibly expensive, and for a car that age you will need to buy parts from time to time. If you want to go euro, get a diesel. I’ve got one, the first I’ve owned, and it’s incredibly cheap on fuel. It costs me $100 to fill the tank and I get 600 km of purely city driving. On the open road you can get well over 1000 km on a tank.

For Japanese, my wife had a Subaru Impreza hatch for years and now my son has it. I think it’s 2001 and it’s done about 160,000 km. It’s showing its age both in the body and the engine, but it’s still going OK and it’s a delight to drive and it’s never had a major problem. World’s worst radio/cd though: incomprehensible controls.

Got an 06 Elantra recently for 7.5k(well 3k after trade in) great little car.

Got a used Elantra recently myself too which goes well. '03 model for 4.5k.

The problem with European cars is that they almost all use premium unleaded (95) unless they are diesels. Also, the parts are incredibly expensive, and for a car that age you will need to buy parts from time to time. If you want to go euro, get a diesel. I've got one, the first I've owned, and it's incredibly cheap on fuel. It costs me $100 to fill the tank and I get 600 km of purely city driving. On the open road you can get well over 1000 km on a tank.
For Japanese, my wife had a Subaru Impreza hatch for years and now my son has it. I think it's 2001 and it's done about 160,000 km. It's showing its age both in the body and the engine, but it's still going OK and it's a delight to drive and it's never had a major problem. World's worst radio/cd though: incomprehensible controls.

Thanks, S10, as I suspected.

There was a beaut looking SAAB convertible in that price-range, fitted with all the trimmings, but that's the sort of thing that makes me wary.

i don't want to spend time at the mechanic's.

Sorry Wim, but Magna?
'They're a bit ****'

I don't know why Magna's aren't rated.  

My 2002 was a friggin' beast.

yeah, but it's a Manga.

The reason I won't buy a Toyota is I drove a work-car,  Camry I think, out bush.

Had that horrible situation where the foot's on the floor and you're just crawling past a road-train.

So fark them sideways.

My Magna you'd just ease on the accelerator and friggin' boom...140 overtaking, just let it idle back to the speed limit halfway through over-taking.

The reason I won't buy a Toyota is I drove a work-car,  Camry I think, out bush.

Had that horrible situation where the foot's on the floor and you're just crawling past a road-train.

So fark them sideways.

My Magna you'd just ease on the accelerator and friggin' boom...140 overtaking, just let it idle back to the speed limit halfway through over-taking.

A good mate still has his second car, a Magnatron approx 2000-2002 vintage I guess?

Went up bush with it (Melb Ade Alice Katherine Alice back of nowhere Queensland Broome Darwin... etc), drove it back, still going. He's waiting for it to die.

Didn't the larger Mitsubishis have a problem with their universal joint? They go fine to about 150-200k then break ($$$$$ repair) ?

The problem with European cars is that they almost all use premium unleaded (95) unless they are diesels. Also, the parts are incredibly expensive, and for a car that age you will need to buy parts from time to time. If you want to go euro, get a diesel. I've got one, the first I've owned, and it's incredibly cheap on fuel. It costs me $100 to fill the tank and I get 600 km of purely city driving. On the open road you can get well over 1000 km on a tank.
For Japanese, my wife had a Subaru Impreza hatch for years and now my son has it. I think it's 2001 and it's done about 160,000 km. It's showing its age both in the body and the engine, but it's still going OK and it's a delight to drive and it's never had a major problem. World's worst radio/cd though: incomprehensible controls.

Thanks, S10, as I suspected.

There was a beaut looking SAAB convertible in that price-range, fitted with all the trimmings, but that's the sort of thing that makes me wary.

i don't want to spend time at the mechanic's.

Yep, definitely don't get a SAAB. They're great cars, but think of all the usual considerations with European cars and double it. Mechanically pretty quirky and won't be cheap to repair, nor easy to find a mechanic who actually knows what they're doing with them.

I have some experience with Honda Accords - a '99 base-model and an '07 Euro. Both pretty solid cars, and the Euro in particular is fairly nice to drive.

I know you were attached to that Magna Wim but given the age of it and km's, I reckon you were heading for a world of hurt. I had a Verada that pretty much decided to fall apart piece by piece once it got to 170,000 km's. It wasn't thrashed but the sport suspension went ($1000's), transmission went ($1000's), computer went, wheel bearings, welsh plugs… Got rid of it with 195,000km on the clock and feel sorry for the poor ■■■■■■■ who bought it. 

I've heard they're prone to cracks in the...something pretty important, and it has certainly crossed my mind that the moron may have done me a favour, despite the inconvenience.