Vale Dad

I ask for some indulgence from the mods for this post

This evening my father passed away after a four year battle with bowel cancer.

He was the bravest person I ever met.

I said at my wedding that I if I could be half the father and husband he was then I would consider myself a success.

Geoff D was 77 and could speak 9 languages, wrote a best selling history book that outsold the autobiography of Bill Hayden on it’s first week, graduated Uni at 55 and instilled a love of all things history especially of the celts in me.

I am a Union official and my values come from my dad. I fight because he saw that a better world could be achieved for the working class. He achieved that for our family through sheer hard work and determination.

He never thought he would see grandchildren. He got to meet three.

I will miss my father more than words can ever describe. He was, is and forever will be my hero

I would personally like to thank reboot for everything he has done for me whilst my father has been ill. I know you don’t expect a thank you mate but you deserve one and I could not ask for a better friend.

I don’t write this in a desire to receive sympathy but merely to express my feelings and if the mods wish to gurge/lock this thread then I will not be offended.

Some day some one somewhere in the world will cure cancer and I will personally shake that persons hand as it will mean people no longer have to feel what I feel right now.

So Dad

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind always be at your back
May the sun shine always upon your face
And rains fall soft upon your fields
Until we meet again
May our Celtic ancestors hold you in their hands

Thanks for everything

Love always

Nick, Laura, Henry and Charlotte

only just found this thread.
brought to tears.

Good luck nick,the pain will fade but the memories won’t.

Sympathies to the Nickyd family.

On a very side note, I don’t like how this sits in the ‘dogs breakfast’. Could we move it to the Stargazer Memorial EFC History Board?

nicky posted it here.

Sympathies to the Nickyd family.

On a very side note, I don’t like how this sits in the ‘dogs breakfast’. Could we move it to the Stargazer Memorial EFC History Board?

Fantastic tribute mate.

I lost my Mum on the 22nd of April this year after a 3 and a half year battle with breast cancer. She was in her mid 70s when she was diagnosed and her oncologist didn’t expect her to last very long.

She fought like a champion and nearly made it to 80.

I understand exactly how you feel about cancer mate - I offer my condolences and my thoughts are with you.

Sorry to hear Nick.

Lost my dear ole Irish Dad a few years ago.

He sent me this not long before he passed, he knew he was going:

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.

Slán go fóill

Sorry to hear that Nick, wish you and your family all the best.

What a wonderful tribute, brought a lump to my throat.

Thoughts with all your family, take care

Beautifully well said Nick.

All my thoughts and condolences to you are your family.

RIP Geoff :frowning:

Thoughts with you and the family nd. Never easy.

:frowning:

RIP

Sorry for your loss nickyd

Sorry the hear that Nicky. :frowning:

Many people never like, respect or even know their father. You were privileged to have a great one.

All the best for the coming months and beyond.

Sorry to hear that Nicky, blitz is thinking of you and your family in tough times. Can be good to “vent” (for want of a better word) at times on here.

Condolences to the D family.

Well written.

Beautifully written tribute to your Dad nickyd.

“Grief is the price we pay for love” (QEII)

May he RIP & condolences to you & your family.

My deepest condolences.

So sorry to hear that. My dad battled for two and a half years and eventually succumbed to the same illness.

Thank you for that post, it’s a good reminder to me of what a great dad I had too. I hope you and your family are coping ok.

Thank you for sharing that with us. My deepest condolences to you and your family. Your Father sounded like a fine fellow.