Vale Malcolm Fraser

Malcolm Fraser has passed away.

What do you say about this guy. Both hated and loved by both sides of politics.
You’d almost say he’s evolved to the point he was further left of the current labour party.

Perhaps the greatest ever member of his party, period.

A terrible loss even at his age.

RIP.

Last year we lost Gough, now we’ve lost Malcolm.

I hear the sheep at Nareen were very moved, too.

As he aged he was able to shed the cant and drivel that goes hand in hand with politics and reveal the core of decency at the heart of his being. He became a beacon for a host of difficult, unpopular and radical causes including his unflinching defense of refugees rights, the rejection of our obsequious foreign relations positions and the attempt to maintain our commitment to foreign aid. It’s hard to see who will replace him in that role. I feel for Tammy.

Tammy is an incredibly nice person , Malcolm not so much. But most pollys are lauded when they die.

Became more humane once he left politics.

Quoted Post

I thought he became more arrogant, I suppose what you think on issues can define how you think of people.

Still he was a man for his generation and deserves to be lauded.

Evolved from elitist into humanist without ever being populist.

IMO Australia stagnated under his leadership. Probably due to international events and trends, but I think we just drifted.

Very poor PM in my view, but still crapped on by McMahon and Abbott.

Outlasted Gough for about 6 years in office and about 6 months in life.
RIP.

RIP Malcolm. Not much of a PM, but evolved into a very decent man in his later years. Will, and should, be missed.

Quoted Post

Spot of Captain Jack.

I reviled Fraser when he was PM, but came to respect him for his post politics beliefs.

If nothing else, the concept of a Liberal Prime Minister (or let’s be honest, either side these days ) welcoming ‘boat people’ is hard to imagine in this day and age.

Quoted Post

If nothing else, the concept of a Liberal Prime Minister (or let's be honest, either side these days ) welcoming 'boat people' is hard to imagine in this day and age.

And Labor under Whitlam didn’t want boat people (Vietnamese) coming here at all

As a politician he was a right ■■■■■■■, but to suggest that he didn’t have a humanitarian agenda in public life as well is naive.

Those who can see the twitters and facebooks should seek out Paul Keating’s statement about Fraser’s passing. Sums it up perfectly.

Quoted Post

As a politician he was a right ■■■■■■■, but to suggest that he didn't have a humanitarian agenda in public life as well is naive.

Those who can see the twitters and facebooks should seek out Paul Keating’s statement about Fraser’s passing. Sums it up perfectly.

Just read it. PJK has always had a way with words.

A truly great man post politics.
Brought compassion and decency back to an arid landscape by speaking his mind and not his party agenda.
Not too many “decent” libs left.
He recently on a radio grab somewhere in the bowels of one of the many ABC regional radio programs lamented that todays Libs thought they needed to be like the Tea Party but in reality were the Mad Hatters’ Tea Party.

I seem to remember him once being caught in a hotel corridor minus his trousers and an incident involving a cow.

The occurrences not being related by the way.

Also, didn’t the Ananda Marga cult try to blow him up?