Valete The Professor and Wendy Hughes

Two icons of the 70s (both icons for much longer periods), Wendy Hughes and Roy Higgins, both died today.

I know the Professor has been unwell of late but, we've lost a great jockey and respected horse man.

Didn't realise about Hughes till this morning.

Wendy Hughes was an industry icon. She made 2 groudbreaking movies with one of, if not our very best filmmaker, Paul Cox. Lonely Hearts and My First Wife are among our country's very best films. They are both overlooked masterpieces and her performance in the latter was possibly her very best. I hope, at the very least, her death inspires moviegoers to check out some of these treasures.

Wendy Hughes was an industry icon. She made 2 groudbreaking movies with one of, if not our very best filmmaker, Paul Cox. Lonely Hearts and My First Wife are among our country's very best films. They are both overlooked masterpieces and her performance in the latter was possibly her very best. I hope, at the very least, her death inspires moviegoers to check out some of these treasures.

I'll remember her for her stage performances(for me the true test of an actor), in particular "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" and "Sweet Bird of Youth" with the MTC, both reasonably recently. To see her on stage was to witness one of our greatest stage performers. She was right up there with Fred Parslow, Ruth Cracknell and Frank Gallagher in her abiity to command the stage. To view her on film was to glimpse her brilliance only. 

Both great losses. Didn't know Wendy Hughes was sick.

Met The Professor once, he seemed like a really nice bloke.

That great group of actors that come through from the late 60's to late late 80's is now passing on. There were some wonderful Aussie movies made in the 1980's.

Roy Higgins - He was the rock star of horse racing from the mid 60's to the late 70's. A gun jockey and icon of the sport.