Venue for Brisbane game in R2

Hey Ivan, GC are playing away

My guess is the ground will be fine, and they are just dumping the womenā€™s game as a precaution

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s funny cause she isnā€™t a gorgeous young piece of fluffy puppet-talent, fabricated and propped up by mega record labels.

Ironic that this is about the womenā€™s game.

3 Likes

I canā€™t see it being moved to Metricon either as the consequences of a multi-million $ compensation claim form the Lions, the AFL, broadcasters, local Gabba businesses and maybe even fans, will be taken into consideration. I think it will go ahead as planned.

The AFLW lets people in for free so there is no foregone ticket revenue and until two weeks ago it was not even confirmed the Lions would host the GF so there would be little pre-planning expenditure from other parties as well.

The AFL draw has been out since October. Tickets are on sale (I bought 9 of them for my family and a mateā€™s family - also all Bombers fans), a home game in Rd 2 v Essendon would be a would just about the biggest crowd the Lions will get all year (thereā€™s no guarantee the crowd would be the same in a later round after the bandwagoners fall off for the Lions), broadcasters would have made plans, local businesses would anticipate big crowds on Lions home games and Iā€™m sure some of you have made accommodation bookings.

I imagine the AFL Lawyers would be saying to Stadiums QLD that since October you knew we needed the ground, you went ahead with the Adele concert, if you canā€™t present the ground in a condition that means our booking can go ahead then get your chequebook out.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been to games at GC where itā€™s taken half an hour just to get on the frigging bus. The bigger the crowd the worse it is, but as you canā€™t park at the ground there is no option but to take one.
Anyway, hopefully it wonā€™t happen.

1 Like

Oh, you are right.

Virtue signalling is cringe-worthy business.

1 Like

Lawyers are funny creatures, seems that both sides have them and they make money out of pursuing an argument. Counter argument will be did the concert in good faith and events (including a heap of rain over the past week) are out of their control. If you check the contract between the Government entity (which is slightly bigger than the AFL and has a larger legal section) you will see thatā€¦

Qld Government offers Metricon with free busses to transfer affected fans from the Gabba, temporaty seating to increase the stadium if necessary.

I love the AFLā€™s arrogance in hitting out at the Gabba, fair chance the concert was well in the planning before the AFL had their thought bubble about starting womans football early. As it turns out the Gabba isnā€™t even the Lady Lionā€™s home ground. Are the Gabba ment to say no to 2 60,000 person concerts on the off chance the AFL will introduce a womans league, oh and the team that was one of the favorates for the spoon actually win the right to host the GF?

4 Likes

Yeah,I had to go and re read the whole thread, but it turns out you did in pieces. Not sure how, but I had been reading the whole thing from a misconstruction.

If itā€™s already damaged to the degree you say, and I mean other areas, not just the pitch, it sounds like we wouldnā€™t want our players risking life & knee playing on it at this point. As you say, the AFL itself has an OH&S responsibility in that regard, ā€¦ as they do letting their players play on any permanent, too hard centre wicket area for entire seasons one might think.

Might be the perfect opportunity to demand a shift in the GABBA managements thinking, and for them to come into the 21st century and get on board with drop in pitches.

They have the procedure so well sussed now, and have produced excellent results for a decade plus. What the hell is wrong with them?

Isnt the gabba primarily a cricket ground? Hilarious that the league dont have their management in their pockets like the mcc. Suck ā– ā– ā– ā–  i say.

1 Like

Regardless of itā€™s primary purpose, . If they want to earn the money they do by leasing it out for Aussie Rules, ā€¦ they should provide a professional standard, safe & stable surface for the players. Cut & dried for mine.

2 Likes

edit.
As usual.
My temper betrays me.

1 Like

Play it at Etihad and they keep the gate? Theyā€™d make twice as much as the would if it were at the Gabba anyway and its not like they are pushing for finals.

1 Like

Probably not as different as youā€™d think. They charge ridiculous amounts for seats up north.

1 Like

Youā€™d imagine this sort of thing would be covered by insurance.

Bizarreā€¦ Google has two listings for bris v ess. One on the Saturday (as scheduled) and a listing for Sunday also.

I donā€™t care if we play them at the Gabba, in Micronesia or wherever, if we donā€™t beat this pathetic excuse for a football club this year I am going to ā€¦ well Iā€™m probably going to spit the dummy on here pretty bad.

6 Likes
1 Like

This has that ugly 2014 game written all over it, where we will win but it will be very hard work

1 Like

Can see us playing there in Rd 2 on a sub standard pitch and some poor young bloke of ours doing himself a mischief.