VFL matches scheduled to clash with AFL matches

This has always annoyed me as I like to go to both games.

I was told today that reasoning behind playing two games on the same day was that it evened out recovery for the entire group.

Not convinced that this is a terrific reason for timetabling clashes and see no reason why if they are on the same day they couldn’t start at say 10.30 am to give adequate time to go to the senior game.

What do others think?

Has the club actually requested they be on the same day?

I freakin hate it.

Unless…
They bringback the VFL as a curtain raisers before the AFL

Then I’d freakin love it

I freakin hate it.

Unless…

Then I’d freakin love it

Could do it like local clubs
VFL development at 10
VFL at 12:15
AFL at 14:30

I could handle us on a Sunday twi light every week if our VFL side was the curtain raiser before the game.

I freakin hate it.

Unless…

Then I’d freakin love it

Could do it like local clubs
VFL development at 10
VFL at 12:15
AFL at 14:30

lol, acting like the afl won’t give ups 15 sunday twilight games.

Will get more Friday Nighters than Twilighters next year. I’d almost put houses on it.

The afl game should always precede the VFL game, so as not to waste a good player held back as the emergency for the afl game.

It’s an interesting question Jackie, and one I’ve been curious about this year.

I’d been thinking that the VFL draw is completely removed from the AFL draw, but based on what you were told, maybe that’s not the case.

The biggest problem I’ve had with the draw this year is the timing of our VFL ‘byes’, in relation to our AFL bye. Guys who could have used a run were unable to get one.

Without knowing, can only suspect all other AFL aligned clubs have been in the same situation.

If anyone can tell me whether or not there’s a connection between the AFL/VFL draw, please let me know.

The clashes can be pretty frustrating for those who are involved at both levels or who enjoy going to watch both levels. My understanding is that you’re on the money Jackie, though more than just rehab I’m told both teams playing on the same day allows all players to follow the same program for the week rather than having to separate them. Having a higher than usual (for us) amount of day games in the AFL this year has led to a few extra clashes.
Really early games for the VFL (to avoid the time clash) can be quite tricky I’m told as well as clubs like to avoid clashing with local junior leagues where possible, and we don’t have much say on the starting time of away games.

We’ll definitely be trying to minimize clashes for next season, I hate missing the VFL! Still working on the curtain raiser thing, personally I thought it was a great success against Geelong last year but the league went away from it this season.

The afl game should always precede the VFL game, so as not to waste a good player held back as the emergency for the afl game.

That is actually a fantastic idea. Release the AFL draw first then match each teams feeder club to the sat and sun games.

I could look like:
Friday Night Seniors/ Saturday local ground reserves (windy hill etc)
Saturday day seniors/ Saturday night an hour later for the reserves. Same ground. Double header
Saturday night Seniors/ Sunday local ground reserves (windy hill etc)
Sunday day seniors/ Sunday night an hour later for the reserves. Same ground. Double header

No Sunday twilight games for the seniors…no one likes them. Leave it for a late arvo perth game for TV. Call it WA Sundays and turn it into a NFL style monday night football thing for the perth clubs.

The visiting teams to perth on sundays can have their reserves bye or play Frankston.

The benefit to the club would be what markee said plus players in the reserves can now directly see what impact their form would have for the following week. Senior staff can then hang around and watch the reserves and manage the fitness of the entire club.

For the AFL and grounds, they now have bums in seats for longer, buying merch, food and drinks.

Double headers would win back the fans.

My finders fee is 15% btw.

Now someone shoot holes into this idea, wouldn’t be blitz without a crushing retort.

what a surprise another clash this weekend.

what a surprise another clash this weekend.
Not any more! Now starts an hour earlier.

You’re still best on a push/motorbike to make best use of the 3:10 start differences.

Fark Northern and Fark Carlton.