VFL Practice Match vs. Footscray Whitten Oval 12 noon Sat March 31

Houlahan played forward and was reasonable. We really needed an extra gorilla down forward today (Smack was good on the ball, when he finally got there, but not influential forward).

Boyse didn’t really click today; needed to do the boring “lead, mark, kick the goal” thing that Dickson did early.

Great call DJR, Scorch and co. Much appreciated

4 Likes

Good to see we were competitive & didn’t give up at any stage even though just a praccy

Excited by the Zerk commentary. He and Mason Fletcher will be a defensive spoiling star duo for many years for us.

Add Ridley to those two and our future defence looks promising.

2 Likes

Been around the world don’t speak the language

1 Like

Rave review of wallis and dickson and critique of the million dollar guy on the afl site. Hardly any mention of essendon. They did mention smack and laverde.
Wallis and dickson were good and were basically the difference between the sides imo.

Overall a good hit out. I thought Ridley and Zerk (and the defence in general) were good down back in the first half, when our midfield was getting soundly beaten. Kept us in it. I thought McKernans run in the ruck in the 2nd quarter got our midfield going a bit. Guys like Heppell, Hind and the like started to have some influence. The difference between the two sides was a best on ground performance by Mitch Wallis. Probably had 25+ and 4 goals. I’d imagine we’ll be seeing him next week. I did enjoy hearing the sounds of the game. Heath Hocking will be great for our young guys this year, he doesn’t stop talking!
Positives -
Zerk Thatcher
Did some nice things. A good spoil, a nice mark. Looks a good prospect.
Laverde
Good to see him out there. Kicked a nice goal and had clean hands at the contest.
Ridley
Continues to use the ball well. Will make his debut some time this year I think.

9 Likes

I failed to mention Million Dollar Baby.

At all.

Ever.

Because he was irrelevant.

9 Likes

To those who contributed to the commentary: you’re my heroes. Keep up the great work.

4 Likes

Talk Hind to me.

1 Like

A day after and I still can’t get over how good Zerk (aka bazooka, bezerk, jerk off) looked yesterday as a raw colt with massive upside. Beautiful mover with uncanny dexterity at ground level, and that ability to engage in positive defensive positioning. He’s going to be a hell of a player when he beefs up. Dodoro and the Essendon recruiting team are geniuses.

9 Likes

I’d be hoping to fast track him and get him in ASAP. More beneficial in getting 12-15 games out of him this year than playing Dea or Brown who give their all but just aren’t up to it and won’t be part of our next tilt at it

4 Likes

Spot on. In fact, I would bring Ridley in too and have both replace Brown & Dea.

Bulldogs don’t have any powerhouse forwards so they’ll not be exposed physically.

you just know some dog reject is gonna kick 6 on us regardless

1 Like

Hopefully that nickname doesn’t stick for the poor bloke.

1 Like

TALK VERDE TO ME

i need some comfort footy talk after last night…

2 Likes

When he’s properly tuned Lav’s a well oiled smooth moving machine who inserts decisively into the fray with explosive speed and movement with regularly satisfying outcomes.
Unless of course there is a misfiring rocket thrust causing damage and a long period of repair.

5 Likes
2 Likes

Good to see form from Ridley and Zerk. In the recent past we have played young tallish defenders early - Hurley and Heppell - with success. Harley and Brown look too vulnerable under pressure to be long term best 22.

A fit and firing Laverde or Fantasia might have made a big difference last night. So Laverde playing 1/2 game is probably best news out of yesterday.

To those who watched the game: who would you give a game in the seniors next week based on this game? Especially if one of Brown and Hartley, and Dea were omitted?

Nobody is ready.

We’ve got a loooong injury list.

Just look at who your emergencies are.