VFL Practice Matches 2017 - last game was Sat April 8 at Punt Road

Thanks for your report.

I didn’t manage to watch the whole game, but I have to disagree with being ‘totally outplayed’ around the ground. A number of times I saw us overpossess in the manner of the senior team. I’ll leave it for those who saw the whole game to decide, though. Our pressure was very good. Overall it was a very good hitout.

1 Like

So, anyone else that was there have any observations re Merret?

I noticed A Hepp moved on the ball placing McNiece and Jerrwt behind the ball. He took a few good marks and his distribution by foot is very good. I feel he gets caught out of position a little when there is a turn over further up the field and can’t track back in time to beat his opponent. I’m not convinced he has the ability to impose himself on a game which is not essential at the top level all the time but he should be standing out more at this level

3 Likes

Lid off for VFL flag

5 Likes

Who is the Hams / Steinberg of this year DJR?

Which diamond in the rough are you putting your energy into now?

McNiece.

Tonight didn’t provide the HBF/BP answers Blitz has so desperately been fretting about. While I can’t testify to the relative talents they were matched to, Merrett was the only one consistently winning. Was good shutting down threats and very good with disposal.

Conor Dea McNeice lagged behind Merrett.

7 Likes

Please nominate your round one backline DJ

Sorry.

@Klawdy promised the big review!

2 Likes

Cheers Dave. Sounds like he may be settling in back there.

Winning is good.

4 Likes

Well done DJR. Impressive as always. I did see you walk past but I didn’t really want to yell “Hey, I know you from the internet!” :blush:

Night started poorly. Went to the wrong side of the ground as did Harvs and his missus. We went one way and they went the other only to meet at the one open gate on the other side. Harvs didn’t look too pleased. His displeasure was matched by mine when I found there was no beer available.

Anyway, I suffered on and I have to admit only making it to 3/4 time:

Hooker looked good and rusty all at the same time. Clunked a few. Dropped a couple he should have taken but overall was very happy with him. He just couldn’t let the game go without a massive fist just to remind everyone he can play both ends.

Benny Bobcat really stood out to me in the third. While he probably didn’t dominate, he was everywhere and doing all the hard things that we know and love.

Hartley was another that stepped it up after half time. The lad can mark. Looked a step above his opponent. He just turned it over a couple of times but hey, they stand out more in the back line.

Green was busy and polished. Will be an asset this year. Probably relaxed a bit more once the sun went down.

Mutch was a big surprise. Bigger than I thought and looked keen to get in amongst it. Got a fair bit of it too.

Connor…I’m still not sure about. I have to admit I was distracted by the vocal Cats supporter early. Her voice was a shrill foghorn??? But when I zeroed in on him he’s fast, but seemed to run himself into trouble and then handball to someone flat footed.

Draper was super impressive. Didn’t look clumsy or green. On 3/4 of footy I’m really excited by what he could achieve over the next few years. No pressure!

Tbc could play next week I reckon. Fitness will be an issue but tell him to play the centre and goal squares only.

Ummm, Heater was ok without really standing out. Probably not quite ready yet.

See you kids all at the March!

Edit: Forgot Franga!!! Looks a beast that is still a bit underdone. Marked well and kicked well. And his fitness is massively improved. I remember watching him against the Cats last year and I can’t recall ever seeing someone looking so spent by halftime. Can’t wait until he’s tearing games apart.

Edit part 2: Jerrett! Played really well. I don’t like to say this but I can’t see where he fits in the ones but he didn’t do his chances any harm tonight. Which also leads me to Dea. I rate him above Jerry but tonight he looked like he needs a couple more in the VFL.

24 Likes

Highlights up on btv

7 Likes

Link? I can’t find the video on our website.

1 Like

Hooker, Francis, Green and Bellchambers all look great!

Those 4 could all fit in to next weeks side

1 Like

Hooker, Green and maybe TBC? Francis still needs to build his fitness. I don’t think you can bring him in given both Hooker and TBC are also underdone.

https://shar.es/1UOzVQ

Skippy mainly reviewing the forwards performance last night.

Green, hooker and tbell all puting their hands up. Fantastic. I’d be hesitant to rush them all in though