VFL - Prelim Final vs Casey @ Port Melbourne, 2:10pm Saturday 15 September 2018

sees the comments since I started typing…

backs away slowly.gif

3 Likes

Mynott on the rookie list as well, good developing player.

Didn’t play today did he? I was just pointing out that we were very thin today (because of injuries etc) of even developing players, so for @Aceman to be potting our future mids on a day when we really only had a couple playing, was a bit harsh.

1 Like

No but in reference to players we can see stepping up next year. Mutch, Mynott, Clarke will be three that imo will continue to help add depth and development.

Yeah but you’re capable of a post like that. I doubt it is. usually when you refute something you provide examples.

I personally think Mutch is the only onr on that list that could add something to the AFL side midfield if he can get big enough for contested stuff. 2 of those are out and out defenders and houlahan has not shown much other than a leap or 2. Clarke’s disposal won’t get to a level suitable for AFL in my opinion.

Mynotts is one that has something but the majority of our vfl midfield comes from vfl listed players. Not a good mix imo

Stewart won’t make it unless he develops a hard edge, gets pushed off it too easily and Is a tad soft.

Zerk and Ridley are future stars and Ridley especially fights with Gleeson for Rnd 1 honours.

Jut don’t see it with Clarke.
Mutch has way more upside than him.

1 Like

I reckon Clarke will make it,and Mutch maybe.Mutch takes a bit too long to make decisions atm,and misses too many

Clarke can too,I just see him having the build to be an inside beast,and Ive seen some very quick ball movement by hand.

Ridley no doubt,with options as a tall wingman down the track.

Mynott,we’ll see in another 12 months.

1 Like

The simple reality is that we have almost no pure mid depth. Outside of Mynott and Colyer I believe every other pure mid who isn’t part of our senior best 22 was available and played. We have some additional hybrids who may become mids in Laverde and Begley, and that’s about it.

So I can see Aceman’s point, although I think he’s overly harsh in his review of Clarke, Mutch and Mynott.

But hopefully we replace Jerret and Long with mids this draft, and Colyer next draft.

2 Likes

This is a very young lineup that has lost four or five very high quality players to the AFL side and still managed to win two finals.

I’m proud of how they have performed this year.

Same goes for the seniors.

We aren’t far off being a powerhouse.

12 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what this sentence means. I guess I agree with this

However, when you’re missing Mynott, and Begley and Laverde and Redman all due to injury there’s limits to what you can do.

As you say 2 of my list were defenders (although the Ridley thread has lots of discussion about him moving into the midfield in time). Clarke and Mutch both have issues, but they’re also second year players (and Mutch got smashed around today) playing against a more mature opposition in conditions that favoured mature bodies. Will they make it? Who knows. But if we had guys like Redman available (who are a bit more mature) we’d have looked a bit better for midfield depth.

(Houlahan has shown nothing, agreed. Who would really knows where he’d end up, he’s a kid, who’s had some challenges, so I won’t be judging his midfield potential on his first year)

He was having a go at me. IT is what people shorten me to and he was claiming i was refuting a post and provided no depth. I provided as much depth as the original post did. He just likes ot have a go at me and follows me around like a little lost puppy. Don’t mind him.

A lot of your players are These forwards and defenders may become good midfielders.

IMO begleys best spot is a high half forward flanker I don’t see him as a contested mid. Lav I think he’s a beast but his body will fail him.

People realise that Redman is a defender, not a mid, right? He’s never consistently played as a mid at VFL level and has been a defender all of 2018 and the last half of 2017.

2 Likes

It may be harsh but I just don’t see Mutch and Clarke making it. I think VFL will be their ceiling. Guys like Redman, Ridley etc are quality but they are not mids yet and may never be, not every player can make the transition. I think we were light on quality mids in our AFL side this year so heaven help us if Smith or another goes down with injury. We have an over abundance of defenders so a couple of them may have to transition into mids or they will move on

1 Like

VFL did alright, seniors were a failure. Lets manage to make top 4 before we start kidding ourselves about being a powerhouse.

3 Likes

Barnz and Aceman are chucking the toys out of the cot because we lost. What else is new?

Put even a couple of Begley, Redman, Laverde and Mynott back in, we win and the cupboard looks overflowing with talent.

Still an area they’ll look to add to in the draft.

Still has absolutely zero to do with Ben McNeice.

1 Like

What have I said about mcniece hap?

I’m still very bullish on Clarke.

He and Langford together showed that if you get the right mix you can excentuate each other strengths.

Our midfield lineup in the second half of the season was mostly inside players with Hind the only one offering anything different when he was used there.

2 Likes

Why didn’t Mynott play today? Conditions tailor made for a big bodied midfielder yet no dice. Was it because we reached our limit of AFL listed players? Weird decision not to play him IMO (if not injured of course).

You haven’t even read the start of the shitfight you jumped into?

Are you trying to steal my gear??