VFL - Prelim Final vs Casey @ Port Melbourne, 2:10pm Saturday 15 September 2018

While I somewhat agree, I don’t think anyone is expecting these guys to carry the majority of the midfield workload next year, or the year after either. But it doesn’t take much imagination to see that these guys will be spending some time in there at AFL level in the not too distant future. (except Houlahan, and possibly Ridley)

Both Redman and Francis have contributed midfield rotations at VFL level. That’s what I’d expect in time at AFL level. Laverde when he’s been fit has played midfield at VFL level, and been effective at it. Again not as a 100% gametime mid, but I don’t expect anyone to be doing that. These 3 could legitimately all spend parts of the preseason learning and find themselves amongst the AFL midfield rotations next year. They won’t be taking Heppell or Merrett’s minutes, but I don’t think that’s the role we’d be looking for.

Begley is an unknown. He was drafted with the expectation that he’d become a mid, but showed enough that they just had to play him, and that meant as a forward predominantly. I expect that the coaching group sees him as a long term mid, and maybe even a high minutes mid. If that’s the vision I expect he plays a fair bit of midfield in the VFL next year, but again, he could be destined to AFL and “midfield rotations” sooner than we think. (who’d have thought Guelfi would be be providing meaningful rotations this year?)

I guess it comes down to the way people want us to play, and what we are trying to develop. The media has a fixation with Essendon improving by getting another genuine midfield gun, and so moving the rest of the players down the list of midfield importance. The other way for us to improve is by 12 guys all getting a bit better, a bit more consistent, and a bit more effective. When it comes to the bunch of mids that we have in the 19-23yo category, I think they can make a big difference that way.

3 Likes

Happy that our best AFL listed for the day (IMO) where Draper, Francis and Clarke.

Melbourne’s best seemed to be their more senior experienced players although that may have something to do with me not knowing their younger players

Probably notthe kind of game where you can come up with too many conclusions given the conditions except Draper is going to be Max Gawn level of dominant next year in the VFL

2 Likes

I read somewhere that he came to Worsfold and ask him where he stood next year and Worsfold told him. Apparently Green appreciated the honesty.

1 Like

Disappointing result. Be you can’t fault the effort. Draper and zerk really impressive. Frances was good again. Mutch and Clark absolute work horses so tough and hard at it. Hope I am wrong but I’m not sure they have enough tools to make it at afl level just yet.

I was seriously impressed with number 62 for us.

I can see Clarke making it

2 Likes

I think he has a good chance as he is pretty smart with his positioning and linking up in play. I know people think his kicking needs improvement, but if he can improve his hand speed giving the ball off and develop a jobe range handball he’ll get a run in the seniors.

1 Like

LOL at the nuffies getting worked up about the state of the list based on one VFL game.

Hind, A. Heppell, Younan, McQueen, Hocking, Berry, Sibbald, Huntly, Ottavi, Laguda, Sheahan, Collins, Dixon, Lazzaro. None of these players are on an AFL list, but have as much to do with the end result as Clarke or Mutch do

2 Likes

Hocking.

3 Likes

They’ve been in the AFL side three years and they started getting mid minutes late last year. Hardly breaks my argument don’t expect too many mid minutes next year from guys not yet getting VFL mid minutes or who aren’t yet in the senior side.

1 Like

Sore foot

Flat.

9 Likes

Understandable. A few boys were quite emotional as they left the ground (a few supporters too)

2 Likes

The listed bests are a little bizarre.

I thought our best 3, in order, were Clarke, Francis and Draper.

This is the first time you’ve seen people worked up about the state of our list? You should check out match day loss threads, or match day win threads for that matter, or game review threads, or most of the player threads, or pretty much every thread in the trade and draft board, or the non-Essendon match day threads.

2 Likes

The coach made his final address to the playing group postgame, finished, and was told they had to have the bests submitted in the next 30 seconds. I wouldn’t look too far into it.
He mentioned last night in that split second Drapes had slipped his mind, it happens.

13 Likes

Reckon we spent 10min in the forward 50 at one stage for a return of 2pts then they rebounded and goaled in 30 sec, that stung.

Just love the tough, physical contest of the VFL comp & the way our boys cracked in over the last few weeks was next level, great to watch and very proud of their efforts.

7 Likes

Reckon the turning point was when Lazzaro was lining up for the goal that would have put us 3 up in the third quarter. Umpire calls time, kick gets smothered, and it goes down the other end for a goal. Few minutes later McNiece has his brain fade and I think that’s the game. Anyway…

Otherwise, given there was a few missing from the game yesterday any judgements on our midfield depth are misleading. FWIW though, I don’t reckon Mutch will make it - great ethic, but lacks any penetration with his game. I’d be looking at Lazzaro for a rookie spot though. Something there.

6 Likes

Overall the VFL team did much better than expected, injuries to the senior guys gutted the team

Zerk looks good

Hind, hope we pick him up

Long- please let that be the end of his time at Essendon.enough is enough

Mcneice- that was some panic/ brainfade. Is depth, not much more

Mutch - hard and tough. With his kicking been as poor as it is I’m not sure he will make it long term

Francis- hopefully that is the last vfl game he ever plays in his career

Stewart- if he played like he looks he could be a superstar

Ridley- something special about him

Only within 9 or 10 metres of the line…except (I think) in a marking contest.

Also agree with Caliban on Lazzaro, reckon there’s a bit of class there.

3 Likes