VFL - Round 10 vs Coburg @ Windy Hill, 12pm Sunday 10 June 2018

The club wanted to smash coburg into the ground. always jostling and getting into their faces. it was great to watch.

Took the fam to their first VFL match. Very small and quiet crowd.

Hard to see the close inside work but my take was quite an ordinary almost 100pt win you’d see. Forward line was quite poor. Some of the VFL list players are very good.

Draper was nil all draw at half 1st half. 2nd half to seem to jump more. Still very much wip.
Houlahan stuggled against the big bodies. Lacks pace, tank and strength at this stage
Stewart stank it up 1st half, very poor 2nd efforts. 2nd half started clunking. Bad set shot miss still with a stutter
McNiece great left foot that can beat the press and great line breaking runs but often into trouble and sells his team mates into trouble. Defensively struggles, perhaps needs to go to a wing.
Long really is the 1%s had 5 or 6 repeat efforts whilst his team mates watched on. Feel his pressure game could suit AFL with better players around him
Francis really stands out at VFL level BUT blew up a number of times where I wondered why. Not knocking him at all but really question what would happen at AFL level
Hocking really shows his experience with ball in hand when most just panic and slap ball on boot
Zerk is smooth but at times zoned off and gave his man too much space
Jerret is Jerret should not be name in AFL squad, just not up to it
Colyer ball of muscle but didn’t see that much from him in 2nd half
Clark and Mutch were inside so didn’t see alot but Clarke’s kicking under pressure is ummmm…
Lavender lost to learn prob needs to set up behind ball.
Ridley was in stands watching the boys

15 Likes

I 2nd this, long was tenacious.

3 Likes

It doesn’t feel like that at all to me, because for a large chunk of this year we’ve been carrying newLAV and Draper in the forward line, and Smack has now been gone from the team for ages. Especially today without Brown or Boyse, we looked a bit headless.

Luckily Younan’s greatly improved form this year has filled a bit of the gap.

[EDIT: maybe that actually means you’re right; if the score is there despite a weaker forward line…]

3 Likes

Three other things.

1. We should acknowledge we got the rub of the green from the umpires. Not the day we needed it, but if it had gone the other way we’d have talked about it.

2. I don’t think Francis is ready yet. Ability and performance wise, yes. But he took it awfully easy in the last quarter. I think he needs a few more games.

3. Have to talk about one thing Long did. It was on the D50 where a scrappy clearing kick had occurred into space near the boundary. Long was leading his man both at full pace. He reaches down to the ball and just flicks it behind both of them, while sliding down to change direction. His opponent runs past pulling up and Long picks the ball up and heads off.

It was sublime.

I’ve not been a fan of Long in previous VFL matches I’ve seen in 2017 and before. Didn’t get it enough or use it great. Today’s game was full of pressure, used his pace and vision and lots of 1%s. I’ll be very interested to see his stats. For someone I’d written off I was very impressed.

14 Likes

Long had 14 disposals and 6 tackles.

1 Like

Stats up on footy live app:

Clarke 38 disposals and 11 tackles.
Mutch 33 and 5
Colyer 25 and 3. Plus 1 goal 3.

14 Likes

Draper won the hit outs with 39, plus had 13 disposals

3 Likes

Francis 23 disposals. 11 marks

NewLAV had 8 disposals which is a big jump for him

7 Likes

Thanks for the commentary all! I live in these threads when a stream is not available.

I’m in Adelaide but Mrs S_K (or Mummy NewLAV) made the trip across. While I asked for regular commentary, the best I got was “there is a cute staffy pup in the car park” or “he’s not wearing his new boots” or “he just had an assist!”. So I really appreciate the effort you guys put in.

Thanks again!

45 Likes

Are we playing next week or do we have the bye as well? Be good to get another game into colyer before the seniors come back for the eagles game.

Hopefully Clarke comes back up soon, deserves another few games in the seniors.

1 Like

Bye

A bye for both teams.

Cheers.

What an epic pain in the ■■■. Colyer Mutch Francis Clarke Laverde all getting a crack at another game would have been great.

2 Likes

Damn, Clarkey.

1 Like

Hind 28 disposals
HepA 24 and 5 tackles to go with his 2 goals
Hocking 23 and 3 goals
Younan 23 and 2.2 (for what I deem to be a poor/average 2018 game for him)
McQueen 16 and 2 class goals

Stewart 1.4…

3 Likes

It’s better this way than in the past where the reserves have 4 byes and still didn’t coincide with the seniors.

1 Like

I only saw up until 3/4 time, but from what I saw;

Francis was a freak in the air. There are still plenty of areas to improve, but its nice to see him really back himself in the marking contest.

McNeice has his critics, but he was pretty influential in a lot of transitions through the middle. He was pretty good in contested situations and his touch and kicking was clean.

Draper was up against a monster in the ruck and seemed to enjoy the contest. I thought he might get man-handled, but he more than held his own. It would be nice to see him crush a few packs around the ground as his ruckwork could be serviceable at AFL level.

Clarke was great not only in the packs, but also spreading away and linking up around the ground. Mutch had a very similar game and seemed to be on the bottom of the pack or feeding it out more often than anyone.

11 Likes

How is NewLav going?

And original Lav, did he play today?