VFL - Round 10 vs Coburg @ Windy Hill, 12pm Sunday 10 June 2018

How does NewLAV go at FB??

I reckon for a kid so new to the game, it’d be worth leaving him to develop down back. Can’t see him making it as a FF/Ruck; but a quick, strong 200cm+ key defender could be handy post Hooker.

2 Likes

He’s not new to the game. He played as a kid.
He’s currently seen as a very good athlete who may become a good footballer.
I’m not sure anyone has any idea for him as far as best position goes yet.

2 Likes

Was Donnington there?

“With friends” ha ha, gees it’s rough being a young unknown player with a fresh haircut - that was Trent Mynott :wink:

5 Likes

Why was Mynott not playing?

Not certain sorry.

1 Like

No one could handle the level of that scud cut.

1 Like

It’s hard enough for kids who’ve been playing as a forward their entire lives to make the grade at AFL level, just think he’s more likely to make it if he goes down the Ambrose/Blicavs/McKenna route. Love his ‘fighting’ spirit too, doesn’t like getting beaten

1 Like

ha indeed - apologies to Trent as I don’t know him by sight. Also explains the comments in the crowd about a haircut.*

*Essendon fans have a got a thing about the players’ haircuts

1 Like
3 Likes

The Bombers had to tough it out early against the Lions, who made it clear that they had come to play and weren’t afraid to attack the contest. Nonetheless, a pair of goals to Travis Colyer and Aaron Heppell in a minute prised a 25-point Essendon buffer at half-time.

The third quarter was an all-round team performance as hard run, relentless pressure and numbers both around and forward of the ball saw Essendon seize control.

In an inspired power play, the Bombers slammed on 8.4 to Coburg’s solitary goal to put the result to bed before keeping the foot on the accelerator with another five majors in the last quarter.

AFL Bombers Travis Colyer and James Stewart both delivered impressive performances against Coburg. Colyer’s explosive run was a turning point as the match went from trench warfare to a one-way red and black landslide, while Stewart provided a strong marking option playing as a key forward and was crucial in the Bombers’ second half dominance.

Captain Heath Hocking played across the midfield and high in the forward line and was the highest goal-kicker along with Jackson Merrett with three (Danny Younan, Jake McQueen and Aaron Heppell all kicked two). Defender Aaron Francis’ high-leaping marking once again was a feature of the Bombers’ counter-attack.

Dylan Clarke’s (38 touches) and Kobe Mutch’s (33) ball-winning was crucial in the first half when the game was up for grabs, while half-back Ben McNiece improved as the game went on, providing agility and rebound in the second half.

The Bombers celebrated an outstanding maiden win for Nino Lazzaro and debutant Luke Collins, both of whom kicked their first goal for Essendon against the Lions.

Coach Dan Jordan said his side responded to the challenges they faced in the first half.

“I was happy with the four quarters in terms of consistency, but our second quarter wasn’t great, so we just had to clean up a few things in terms of entry and how we were moving the footy,” Jordan said.

Essendon is in third place with six wins and now faces its second bye for the season in Round 11, Jordan says his team is meeting its targets ahead of a challenging fixture.

“We set ourselves for the last six-week block to have a really good tilt at getting results and I think we’ve finished at five and one,” Jordan said.

“We’ve got a really tough month coming up, so it’ll be a really great test to see where we’re at and being really consistent against whatever team we come up against.”

ESSENDON 5.4 7.10 15.15 20.17 (137)
COBURG 2.1 4.3 5.3 6.7 (43)

GOALS
Essendon – Merrett 3, Hocking 3, Younan 2, Heppell 2, McQueen 2, Collins, Colyer, Lazzaro, Mutch, Houlahan, Stewart, Hartley, Long.
Coburg – McEvoy 2, Podhajski 2, Orr, Binion.

BEST
Colyer, Francis, Heppell, Mutch, Stewart, Hocking.

By Callum O’Connor

Dylan Clarke. 38 touches, 11 tackles, not named in the best half dozen. Okay.

11 Likes

No conspiracy, I didn’t have him in my best half dozen either :man_shrugging:

Was very good, we just had a lot of very good players.

1 Like

Full game upped by the club:

7 Likes

That effort by Stewart was huge…to bad he dropped it

I have seen most games this year and I would say this is as good a VFL side we have had for some time.

I don’t want to jinx it so early but we could challenge this year.

I know we are playing for AFL ■■■■ but it would be great reward for the young guys and also the VFL listed players if we could go all the way.

Could fill Etihad if we were to make it.

5 Likes

I thought Coburg had some very good defensive structures but their weaknesses in the other parts of the ground let them down. They were really good at working the ball out of the backline but we kept coming at them so often that they couldn’t stop the flow.

How did Mitch Podhajski go for Coburg?

Our recent reserves premierships.

And we know what happened the following year…

12 Likes

The most impressive thing for me about this VFL side is how we have been able to cover the losses of our most consistent performers at that level.

All of Smack, Clarke, Langford and Mutch have been out of the side at various stages but we keep finding a way to compete.

This is the best group of young kids we have had for a while I think.

The backline is the most talented young group in the league in my opinion and the midfield not far off.

3 Likes