VFL - Round 12 vs Box Hill Dorks @ Box Hill, 2.10pm Sunday 24th June 2018

Draper and Loony the two most taps, and 18 and 16 disposals respectively. Loony 8 marks and 2.1, and Draper’s 5 marks included some standouts too.

Clarke extremely quiet: 24 disposals and 6 tackles

12 Likes

I’ve thought the same thing when I’ve seen him in the seniors, I think it’s because in the AFL he’s been asked to play an awkward role as the 4th tall/4th small, whereas in the twos he’s been playing more as an undersized CHF-come-HFF, as that target we funnel the ball through, which plays to his strengths.

2 Likes

Hind 28 disposals, 11 inside fifties (zero rebounds!), and 1.1 – was very important!

11 Likes

Hasn’t helped - Begs struggled to find much of the ball in that role too. And it’s obviously odd structure-wise to replace a 5’8” chipscab with a 6’2” medium forward.
Would be intrigued to see Lav tried as a 3rd target forward in the AFL.

1 Like

Waiting for someone to kick start that Nick Hind thread.

1 Like

He’d probably do better in our current lineup as that 3rd behind Brown and McKernan; but I’d leave him in the twos and let him gain some consistency and confidence, maybe a bit of midfield time too.

Would be happy with him being picked up.

Do you honestly think that Laverde’s ceiling is VFL?

1 Like

Same.

No rush with him.

I’m close to coming to that conclusion.
I want him to have 3 or 4 more VFL games, then if he’s in form and there’s a spot for him, give him 3 or 4 games in the AFL to show something.
If he doesn’t, he’ll be on thin ice for another contract.

Best for mine - Long, Ridley, Francis, Mutch
Did the hard and the creative stuff that translates into the Firsts.
Good solid Twos game - Hartley, Laverde, Leuy, Zerk, Hinds
Did their bit- Clarke, Mynott, MacNeice ( kicking & spread, Paddy.

And of course Draper, even though it’s actually the poorest tap game I’ve seen him play in the first half - just got his ruck timing all wrong.
Three years playing - there’s the Belly replacement.

4 Likes

No problem from my point of view. He was on a very bad angle.

I’d be more intrigued to see him used in the midfield (in the VFL) for an extended period. We did this with Langford last year and it’s finally paying off. We need big bodied mids and he already has the big bodied part sorted.

6 Likes

What a shame you didn’t get your wish.

10 Likes

Colyer prob not looking to come in as a mid, I’m sure he’s eyeing off Greens spot…and for me I would make that change.

1 Like

I think part of Laverde’s issue is the medium backs at AFL level are a very big step up.

I’d also like to see him getting midfield time.

1 Like

Mynott’s haircut sucks.

I reckon the only time I noticed him today was when he was being tackled by at least two Dawks.

1 Like

Yes, but I fear we may have another Tory Dickson scenario, it’s a shame we didnt Rookie list him last year.

Plays a fair bit of mid there already

Thanks for the extensive, well-written wrap-up. Much appreciated.