VFL - Round 12 vs Box Hill Dorks @ Box Hill, 2.10pm Sunday 24th June 2018

Meh, anything less than 23 possessions, 11 marks, 8 spoils, 4 rebound 50’s and 3 tackles is an ordinary game.

GF day sprint should be Mckenna, Saad and Hind

4 Likes

If nothing changes for Laverde there is no way we should offer him another contract. Not saying he doesn’t try his guts out and train hard etc, but I think he is just the epitome of being an athlete rather than a footballer

1 Like

Reckon worsfold will be picked that they are in the half time meeting with him

Not sure Colyer is ready, was very fumbly today (kind of like last season).

2 Likes

P.S. VFL stats! Fifteen minutes into the last quarter he grabs it at 49 out from their goal, takes two bounces and kicks it to our 35 out.

I’d call that close enough to a Rebound Fifty.

1 Like

And check out Draper2Hocking at 15:45 into the last…

1 Like

Great day

Laverde has yet to have a preseason in 4 years at the club. We need some patience because he does have a big bag of tricks

12 Likes

Was impressed with Loony signing autographs & doing selfies with kids straight after the game for a few minutes.

The rest of the team were all in back in the rooms but the big guy was still out in the ground signing footies.

Just another reason to love VFL games.

14 Likes

What about his tv interview after the game, it’s all about bringing Draper through, very selfless & team first type of guy is Leuy.

28 Likes

Yep, I think I may have posted this here before ( I’m old, I forget stuff), Luey was at the VFL game Dreamtime Saturday night, supporting the boys. Great people create great culture.

9 Likes

I kinda have a soft spot for players who have probably come to realise they won’t be playing much senior footy anymore and are just happy to play out their days in the vfl getting around the young lads.

21 Likes

I have no uncertainty about Jordan Ridley. He is going to be an absolute beauty.

7 Likes

If you call strong fundamentals a trick, then sure. But we haven’t even seen that at AFL level ina year. I want to see that.

1 Like

I reckon this is the best shape the seconds team has been in this millenium.

Francis does everything right and is a beast, a smart player and uses his body strength well, and of course his marking ability is second to none, played mostly loose. I really hope we see him in the senior team soon. You can tell Ridley has confidence and he looks like he’s going to be a star in a few years. Hartley was really good and got heaps of the ball and took 10+ marks, he backed himself far more and it paid off, I just wish he did that in the seniors where he rarely backs his marking. If he ever learnt to translate this to senior level he’d be first few picked down back.

Zerk was great and had a goal saving moment in the last where he came from nowhere to save a certain goal with them running back towards goal, but I agree in that he’s probably another year away. McNiece was solid but had a few fumbles, I reckon he’s a fair way back in the pecking order for a game. Ambrose was solid and reliable but didn’t get too much of the ball. But not everyone can have 30 possessions.

Draper lead the way in the ruck, it’s obvious that Luey has been told that his time as main ruck is done and Draper is being developed full bore. Credit to Luey that he still crashed some packs and went forwards and kicked 2 goals and happily giving the mantle to Draper. Mutch, Clarke and Hocking played typically tough games although neither dominated, all 3 have had far better days previously.

Colyer had his moments with some spark. He won’t be playing seniors for 2 more weeks I reckon as this was his first full game but it was an encouraging one without dominating. I didn’t notice Mynott too much bar a bad turnover in the third but was mostly solid. Long could have turned his day into a ripper if he’d taken his chances including a shot at goal but was mostly classy without standing out, as per usual he’s slightly above average without gunning it. No one really dominates in hard slog like today. Hind was outstanding for a VFL listed player and took the game on with excitement, perhaps a rookie smokie if he can keep this up.

Stewart didn’t have a great day, outnumbered mostly, whilst LAV was at his best and easily our best forward linking up and using his body. He’s far too good for this level. Less said about Jerrett’s game the better. Younan tried hard and kicked a ripper goal late but didn’t have much else to speak of.

If I didn’t mention them then they were forgettable to me, anyway. Reckon Francis/Ridley are competing for Redman’s spot.

15 Likes

Francis was outstanding. He reminds me of Ronnie Andrews, without the biff. He repeatedly marked in packs, or when intercepting. Was really outstanding. I can’t believe he won’t be a top AFL player. Clearly he stars on the backline, so it would be difficult to fit him there. A pity he’s not a forward, as he’s such a strong mark.Ridley was also exceptional, Hartley was terrific and Ambrose quite good. There are 4 key backmen. And hyphen Thatcher was did his bit too.

Leunberger and Draper were outstanding in the ruck. I’ve never seen the former so mobile, as well as taking strong overhead marks. He was also reported. Just as well TB was only fined. He was interviewed after the game, and really impressed me the way he spoke of Draper. He said his role is to help Draper advance, and that he, TB and Jamar are working closely with him. Apparently this is only Draper’s third season playing Aussie rules, having come from England where he played soccer. He looks an excellent prospect.

McNiece is a very smart mover, and the great thing about him is his disposal. Laverde played well. There’s a guy there, Hinds, who looks a real prospect. Of course, other clubs will look at him. He has enormous pace. He’s 23, from Ballarat (I think) Stewart didn’t do much. Playing key forward is very hard these days, especially if delivery is not good. Colyer showed patches of form. Long was ok. Doesn’t look as though he will get there now.

Much and Clarke were fair, but really didn’t do enough to demand inclusion in the firsts. But I like Mutch and really hope he makes it. If given a chance I think he will.

Overall, Essendon’s aerial work was fantastic. It was a bit like the old days, with so much high marking.

I think the club is in good shape for the future. So much exciting talent.

6 Likes

Haven’t been so bullish on our 2s since the golden ages of Browne, NOB, Hams, Davis, Ross, Dalgliesh, Kavanagh and Jackson Merrett.

12 Likes

Yowsers.

Yeah, I do. I reckon he’s a odd player. Kinda doesn’t fit anywhere. I don’t get Those who advocate his midfield prospects. Is it just because he’s a decent size and that’s the kind of shape physically we want through there?

He’s got poor agility, he’s a straight line runner. Being clean below his knees has never stood out and I don’t think he has the smarts to be a midfielder either.

He consistently plays asvthat medium forward at senior level and goes missing, doesn’t hit the scoreboard and touches it about 9 times

Hope I’m wrong, but his limitations far outweigh his positive attributes imo