VFL - Round 13 vs Casey @ Craigieburn, 2.10pm Saturday 30th June 2018

We kicked 1.5 last quarter, but they kicked 1.3.

I didnā€™t watch the first quarter. I really felt we played the better football around the ground. I thought we could have thrown one of our marking defender forwards in the last quarter.

1 Like

Na he did end up touching it on his boot

1 Like

yeah he did.

!st quarter lost it. Otherwise outscored them.
No forwards. Stewart disappointing. New Lav a long way off it at the moment. Boyse Younan not getting to positions we can get them the ball enough. Houlihan single digit possessions again. So really canā€™t expect to win in those circumstances.
Casey defence was very good as well.

1 Like

Only saw the last but not that disappointed - had a fair dinkum crack. Saw some promising signs from Draper and Zerk.

1 Like

Had a dip, but our own stupidity cost us 4 points.

Not sure who Caseyā€™s ruckman was, but Draper dominated the hitouts. Unfortunately it doesnā€™t count for much these days.

Played catch up footy all day and then had dumb players who kept bombimg it forward which played straight into Caseyā€™s hands.

We came back strongly after a slow first quarter, but failed to convert in the final quarter. I think we kicked four behinds in a row. Whatā€™s the point? The coaches will be making a pint of pointing at those four nehinds when they make a point out of showing why we lost the game.

Francis should be playing in the seniors. Even if the club doesnā€™t think he will be at the club next year, he has got to get some currency. He is one of our most talented footballers!

Zerk is going to be a great player if he stays fit over the next few years.

Hind should be on our list.

4 Likes

Delist Merret and draft Hind

Or to paraphrase, The coaches will, up to a point, be making a point of pointing at those four points when they make a point out of showing why we didnā€™t take home the four points.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll add my observations and then its back to work.

• We had more scoring shots for the day than they did (2) and it could have gone another way on a different day.
  • The first quarter when it was pouring rain really cost us. We were slow off the mark like last week, but unlike last week it wasnā€™t just entry into F50. They really killed us across the ground and handled the conditions much better.
  • We really came into it halfway through the second quarter when it dried up enough that our Francis/Hartley/Zerk combination starting clunking it across half back, and we could link up. From that point we won the game, but had too much to do.
  • Our forward line was a shambles, which is not unexpected given how well it performed last week and we lost the player who performed best of the forwards last week (Laverde).
  • They had a number of players who have a lot of experience down from the firsts (Vince, Bugg, Pederson), and like us a lot of good youngsters. So it was always going to be a hard match. Annoying we could have won it if weā€™d been a bit smarter in the last quarter. But thatā€™s pressure for you!

On some individual players:

• Hind, clearly BOG for us. Iā€™m cursing we didnā€™t delist Jerrett and draft him last year. Which I was all for.
  • Zerk had many good moments, and a few poor ones. Heā€™s great in the air, but did lose his man and get beaten a few times on the air. Still, a really great game from a young kid.
  • Francis had periods of dominance, and generally played well all day.
  • Mutch, Clarke, Hocking, Hartley were all good contributors without being stand outs.
  • Long was quiet early. He got a lot more of it second half, but didnā€™t use it as well as he has been previous rounds. Overall a bit below average for his match.
  • Jerrett should be delisted now.
  • McNiece, didnā€™t really notice much.
  • Lavender, I donā€™t want to be critical of a guy learning the game. But heā€™s a complete non-presence. I think he needs to learn more at a lower level, because I struggle to see what he would have got out of the last two weeks development wise. And its only for development he is in the side.
  • Draper continued on from last week (showed a lot, needs to use it a lot better), Leuy played well again although not as impactful (especially forward) as last week.
  • Ridley: far less influential than last week. Popped in once or twice but mostly I didnā€™t notice him.
  • Stewart: did some good stuff when not the target, but struggled when he was. Is failing to make the transition from tall winger to a KP player.
10 Likes

Why on earth would the club think heā€™s not going to be here next year?

2 Likes

Francis wont be going anywhere Dan Richardson a while back said heā€™s happy and wonā€™t request a trade back home

2 Likes

Isnā€™t he contracted anyway?

Yeah he is

I find Long to be incredibly frustrating and always seem to be watching when he gets free and looks fantastic but then makes a really basic error and turns the ball over. Iā€™d love him to prosper at senior level but really cant see him getting past this standard of footy.

2 Likes

Is this not the purpose of VFL now?

6 Likes