VFL - Round 13 vs Casey @ Craigieburn, 2.10pm Saturday 30th June 2018

Love how Hind goes in hard.
He must be rookied next yr.
Problem is,Id say another club might ■■■■■■ him!!

1 Like

Lavender is learning the game but unfortunately he has now been very poor in two wet condition games we lost where a little presence would have seen the Essendon VFL win the game. I have the same thought. I think he should be playing at a lower level to develop his skills and positioning in the game. Part of development is team development and playing finals in the VFL will benefit Essendon overall in the longer term.

2 Likes

A significant part of it is, yes. Winning and playing structures is all part of that development.

I’m just questioning when he’s hardly touching the ball if its the best place for his development. Maybe he’s getting it more than I’m noticing.

1 Like

Swap one of our many big backs and Lavender — Lavender gets taken to the ball to accelerate his learning, and the team gains a legit target.

Was this your first experience of lovely* Craigieburn, @S_K?

*was a decent day by Craigieburn standards.

2 Likes

Lavender is a cricket player and then we wonder why he’s not working out.

Only draft footballers please.

1 Like

Stats are up. Most of them are extremely similar, with hit-outs a clear aberration at 65-19 our way and tackles for Casey at 63-92.

• Hind our highest-ranked with 29 disposals (24 were kicks).
  • Clarke 23 (17 kicks, and it really isn’t an issue anymore) and a team-high 7 tackles
  • Mutch 24 and 6 tackles
  • Draper 16 and 30 hit-outs, Loony from limited time 7 and 33
  • Francis our top marker on a tricky day, just 14 and 7 marks

Casey’s Filipovic had a grand total of 2 hit-outs, 2 frees against, and a DreamTeam score of -4.

5 Likes

I did not know that Maurice Boyse played senior footy with us before heading to North and then South. Very friendly guy!

Wasn’t drafted

6 Likes

Given our Williamstown experience, Craigieburn was beautiful :joy:

2 Likes

Agreed, so what are the options? I’m assuming there is none short of delisting, sending back to a minor league and monitoring his progress?

1 Like

Can’t believe people wanted Long in the ones. Many opportunities to switch and he’s dawdling into the free space. Not sure if anyone could have moved into that space but he killed the switch a lot. Would of won if we played someone else in his position. Delist quickly, JMerrett too. Dumb footballers.

1 Like

Uh. McKenna? Blicavs?

What about the footballers who don’t make it?

That’s just a silly comment, mate.

10 Likes

Is the first wet weather game you are referring to his first ever game, when he refractured his ribs early in the 2nd quarter?

LAV2.0 should stay in the team and play back occasionally as suggested. The sole purpose of VFL is to develop our AFL team and he is very early into a 3 year transformation project. As long as he realises this, then all is OK. His learning should accelerate once he is physically ready, but we all know he has a mountain to climb.

7 Likes

It was 0.2 versus 5.2 in the first quarter and a half, then 6.8 versus 3.4 for the rest.

As bad as parts of our game were, we’ve indicated we’re a legit contender this year. A good effort versus ladder-leader Richmond next week at Windy Hill would confirm that.

Fix the forward line (hell, partially fix it) and watch out!

2 Likes

He’s at round 14, of season 1, as a Cat B rookie…take it easy.

4 Likes

I think with some more muscle he would be a solid AFL player

1 Like

This.

Stewart is clearly down on confidence

He shouldn’t have been on the ground in the Wiliamstown game. Not fair to him or to the team. I wish him well and hope he succeeds but even established big players are left out when conditions do not suit. I don’t see how today can do anything for his development. Maybe as suggested a move to the backline in the last quarter may have helped.
I feel for the coaching staff and for the VFL registered players when they work their hearts out and they lose.
Example Nick Hinds reaction when he worked his heart out on the wing to move the ball forward towards the end of the last quarter when the game was still up for grabs. Set the ball beautifully at the top of the square only for Casey to mark without a contest.

2 Likes