VFL - Round 16 vs Pies @ Windy Hill, 11am Saturday 21 July 2018

Good players: Hartley Franga Lazarro.

All (primarily) defenders.

That’s about it.

No Langford = No VFL team?

How well is Francis really playing? Is he dominating the game, or at least his part of the field? Is it an all-round game, i.e., marking, getting the ball in packs, positioning, kicking, handball all top class? Do you see him as really demanding a senior spot?

1 Like

As usual I left before he end of the last quarter as the kids were over it.
Some of the positives were;
Draper had a solid first half. His ruckwork has been good all year, but now he has a bit of presence around the pack and even a couple of deft toe pokes out in to space for the mids to run on to. The soccer background may give him a bit more depth to his play. He isn’t AFL ready but he is continually improving.
Francis was good Goddard would want to raise his perch especially with a 6 day break ahead.
I wouldn’t be too concerned with the VFL drop off. Guys like McKernan, mMneice and Colyer would make all the difference on a day like this but I’d prefer to see them win at senior level.

2 Likes

I know you didn’t ask me but this is how I saw it:

Ok.
1st quarter - backline, read the play well. Marked strongly. Drifted forward and kicked a goal. Good quarter and one of our best.

2nd quarter - Backline and midfield. Couple of nice clearances. Very slow away from a stoppage. Often walked away. Didn’t push into backline to help out (may have been coach directive). Shocking turnover when kicked across goal and turned it over with a chip misskick. Caught with the ball. 50/50 contest on wing and Pies player I reckon wanted it more - Francis waited and tackled strongly to draw a ball up.

3rd quarter - Loose in the backline, starting off the back of the square. Marked deep in the pocket where he outpointed and out read the footy, good strong grab. Cleared it 50 meters, and it then came back where his opponent from the previous contest marked uncontested.
Not long later as a spare, got sucked up to the wing, we turned the footy over and he started walking back towards the backline as they goal. Got a lucky free for in the back, half kicked it 40 metres, giving Stewart no chance and a Pies easy uncontested mark.

Had to leave at 3/4 time and missed the last quarter.

He talked with players coming on and off the bench and occasionally yelled instruction which was great and the most engaged in the game that I’ve seen him.

I hope he makes it. I have no doubt that he has the talent. I think if he comes up at the moment he will be found out. ATM he doesn’t get to enough contests to play anywhere other than the backline. As a backline player he isn’t particularly tight.

12 Likes

How was Lav?

1 Like

Lav was in and out of the game but for a short time in at the centre bounces I thought he was impressive. Great size for a midfielder. Got frustrated a lot. Not a lot of cohesion at this level with guys playing for themselves.

3 Likes

Laverde’s size when in the middle was very obvious and used well. Got enough otherwise? Nope.

2 Likes

A fair write up and adds a bit of balance.
Francis does have a similar game to Hurley and Goddard where they try to read the play and cut it off. He would cover less ground but when he is in the contest he be better than both of them.
I’m not too fused if he gets a game as long as he is enjoying himself and has a plan for his development. The Langford article has given me a bit more faith that this would be the case.

2 Likes

I agree. I have no doubt he can play. There were games in the twos last year where Langford was clearly a class above. That wasn’t always the case, he worked hard to get to that point and now he looks like he belongs. When they come in you want them to be ready.

1 Like

I don’t think any Essendon player staked a claim to play in the AFL team based on what I saw today. Average performances and a lack of inspiration by any one player. Work rate was marginally down.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s very frank.

2 Likes

I was busy being Presidential, or something.

1 Like

McKernan injury = Hooker forward > Hurley Lock down role > Francis 3 brownlow votes next week

1 Like

A further question about Francis if you don’t mind.

When he first arrived at the club, the general opinion was that he had all the ability in the world, but lacked the fitness to play senior football. You’ve mentioned him walking rather than running and a couple of other similar things. Do you think he’s right now as fit as he needs to be?

Or just Stewart in as Smack replacement

I’d prefer this mainly because i’d prefer to leave our defence alone

1 Like

I am only interested in getting Francis playing. Stewart makes much more sense but please consider where we are.

It’s a good question and important but hard to answer. Looks can be deceiving. I don’t know if it is fitness or intent or a combination. At the level he hasn’t spent a lot of time in the middle so he might just not understand where to run or what he’s responsible for. His natural ability will always get him a clearance or two. As I say, when he wasn’t involved, he was flat footed most of the time. By way of comparison, Laverde (who also doesn’t spend much time in the middle) was energetic when in there, and worked hard to get to the next contest. He often ran flat out to either stay involved or get to the next spot to create.

I specifically watched Francis yesterday (until 3/4 time) and I am surprised at the angst toward the club from people on here as to why he doesn’t get a game. I reckon it’s misplaced. Don’t get me wrong, he did some good things. He reads the play well and is a nice grab and beautiful kick. I think that he chooses difficult options with his kicking sometimes because he is confident and knows it’s an asset and can turn it over.

Langford was up and down last year and definitely appeared at times to be too good for the twos. However the club wanted him to work on parts of his game and were in no rush until he got it right. It didn’t matter if he got 30, there were other aspects they wanted to see improved. Now (still a long way to go) he looks absolutely comfortable in the 1’s.

I hope we get a look at Francis this season and I hope that he’s one that just lifts when playing in a higher grade and of course the club will have an idea as to whether he is the type that is capable of this. At the moment I just don’t see that he is ready. He has been emergency for a while and was named as our third best player yesterday so he must be close. Whilst I was critical of parts of his game yesterday, he was the most engaged I have seen him with other players, yelling advice and encouragement when coming on and off the ground.

Also, given where he was in March this year and the brave step that he took to take some time off it is absolutely great that he’s playing and even being spoken of as deserving a game so I hope he gets there.

15 Likes

Thank you very much. Very informative and balanced. I agree fully about how good it is to have him out there and in the mix.

1 Like