VFL - Round 19 vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, 7pm Saturday 11 August 2018

Note: this is the second part of a VFLW/VFL double-header.

B: 57. N. Hind, 36. M. Hartley, 14. J. Ridley
HB: 77. H. Hocking, 49. M. Dea, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher
C: 20. J. Merrett, 59. A. Heppell, 39. T. Mynott
HF: 33. J. Laverde, 17. J. Stewart, 34. J. Long
F: 51. A. Boyse, 22. M. Leuenberger, 15. J. Green

R: 38. S. Draper, 37. D. Clarke, 19. K. Mutch

Int: 76. L. Collins, 68. N. Dixon, 24. J. Houlahan, 60. B. Laguda, 79. J. McQueen, 70. J. Sheahan, 65. E. Sibbald, 55. D. Younan

23P: 50. D. Hanna

In: M. Dea, L. Collins, D. Hanna, J. McQueen, N. Dixon, J. Stewart, B. Laguda

Out: L. Lavender, J. Harrison, W. Berry

4 Likes

Geelong

B: 15. M. Hayball, 30. T. House, 51. J. Tsitas
HB: 39. Z. Guthrie, 7. H. Taylor, 21. J. Murdoch
C: 18. C. Constable, 64. T. Atkins, 31. J. Cunico
HF: 32. G. Miers, 12. W. Buzza, 37. S. Simpson
F: 41. J. Jones, 20. R. Gardner, 9. Z. Smith

R: 45. R. Abbott, 33. G. Horlin-Smith, 40. J. Thurlow

Int: 63. S. Dobson, 79. P. Dowling, 62. C. Floyd, 66. A. Grace, 53. J. Keras, 55. L. Kiel, 78. J. McLachlan, 75. C. Mitchell

23P: 76. T. Lang

In: H. Taylor, J. Thurlow, J. Jones, J. Cunico, R. Abbott, P. Dowling

Out: M. O’Connor, J. Parsons

LAST ENCOUNTER

2018 Rd 7 @ Windy Hill: Essendon 13.13 (91) d Geelong 12.12 (84)

FORM COMING IN

Geelong (3rd, 11-4) has won eight of its last nine games following last week’s 52-point triumph over ladder-leader Richmond. / Essendon (9th, 7-8) fell outside the top eight after Round 18 thanks to its fifth straight loss – by five points against Port Melbourne.

KEY QUESTION

Can the Cats avenge a hard-fought loss in Round 7? Geelong boasts some of the best credentials of any top-eight team, having defeated fellow contenders the Tigers, Casey Demons, Williamstown, Port Melbourne and Footscray. Since the Cats lost to Essendon in Round 7 they’ve won eight games to the Bombers’ three and will fancy their chances of adding another scalp to their collection.

KEY STAT

Essendon’s control in contests was a key to its Round 7 win, beating Geelong 170-149 in contested possessions and 46-33 in clearances – offsetting a 201-174 loss to the Cats in uncontested possessions. Perhaps worryingly for the Bombers, they average seven fewer contested possessions per game since that match while Geelong averages 10 more uncontested possessions.

1 Like

Nice top see Ridley in.
He didn’t look too good after the game last week.

1 Like

It’s going to take a dramatic form reversal to win this one.

Go Dons!

Is that really Harry Taylor in that Geelong side?

Boyse to FF Leuy into the ruck,Younan into the forword pkt, Draper to come on when their ruck is running out of steam, we win.

Yep.

Good line up. I reckon days gone by, Boyce would be on an AFL list. Might be just missing a few cm’s. Natural footballer.

Dress warm. Will be 7 degrees at the start of the match, with a decent wind into your face.

(The women get 10 to start with, and there may still be rain.)

Unfortunately the Geelong nuffies will get back from Melbourne in time for this game.

I’ll be there tonight. Planning a full Laverde watch, hoping he’s going to have a blinder.

It’s a great ground to watch footy, Sth Geelong train station is just around the corner, so anyone with nothing on tonight, get down here and watch the boys.

If anyone wants a feed, get into Geelong early and head to The Chicken Project. Thank me later.

2 Likes

Any streaming for this one somehow?

3 Likes

Radio DJR

The man with 15 fingers

What has happened to Stewart Crameri? Is he injured?

Radio 3DJR is on centre wing overlooking the wide entry into the stand, if there are any budding special comments crew coming. Fifth row from the back.

1 Like

A decent little storm came through during the women’s game, so it’s slippery and very cold. Very little wind.

Well my night started on a high. Walking around the ground and bumped into past champion Hugh Mitchell. Had a nice chat, lovely man. Described himself as a plodder. 200+ games and a best and fairest during a dynasty is hardly a plodder. Humble champ.

5 Likes

Orazio is here.

2 Likes

If you can, I would appreciate it if you could give the House kid a bit of an appraisal during the course of the game. I am acquainted with his father, who is Gnowangerup landed gentry. Just wondered what sort of a player he is. Cheers.