VFL - Round 21 vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, 11:40am Sunday 25 August 2019 - on telly

The stream (link to come later) is a tempting alternative to the trip down there!

2 Likes

Curtain raiser to Geelong and FC?

Edit: No thats Saturday.

I think it’s also the broadcast game.

2 Likes

With Gown, Mosquito and Z Clarke all out this week and Snelling not yet fit, it will mean we are very thin on the VFL front. Be interesting to see what sort of team we can cobble together come finals time.

We’ll have a solid team for the first final (hopefully including Bellchambers in his second and fuller game). Very likely there will be a 7 or 8 day break between the first VFL final (Saturday, surely) and first AFL final (Saturday or Sunday).

Then the VFL team gets a week off :slight_smile:

This week’s game is a non-event for us as we are guaranteed to play Richmond in that first final. Not sure if Geelong can earn a home final or if 5 to 8 are locked in to play at Port.

1 Like

I can’t see Bellchambers playing in the VFL final. With Clarke now out this week TBC will be rushed back into the seniors this week and then have a rest next week.

2 Likes

Missed that news on Clarke. That really sucks… for Bellchamber’s ideal return path, and the VFL team.

1 Like

Depends what the bigger picture is now. I know Woosha said there is still round 23 to deal with, and that is true, but with an elimination final to be played they have to have this in mind as they prepare the squad. The goalposts have shifted a tad.

2 Likes

3 AFL players in, but 4 out… all AFL emergencies are named, at least.

B: 49. M. Dea, 36. M. Hartley, 41. B. McNiece
HB: 62. N. Lazzaro, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher, 79. J. McQueen
C: 34. J. Long, 77. H. Hocking, 14. J. Ridley
HF: 12. M. Baguley, 68. N. Dixon, 23. D. Myers
F: 57. D. Marshall, 24. J. Houlahan, 72. T. Smith

R: 74. R. Bowman, 60. B. Fennell, 39. T. Mynott

Int: 75. K. Aylett, 51. J. Brown, 73. D. Guccione, 59. A. Heppell, 76. B. Laguda, 56. D. Landt, 65. E. Sibbald, 50. J. Tynan

23P: 54. M. Day

–

In: M. Hartley, K. Aylett, B. McNiece, B. Fennell, J. McQueen, B. Zerk-Thatcher, D. Landt, J. Brown, N. Lazzaro

Out: D. Younan, J. Laverde, J. Begley, T. Jok, I. Mosquito

1 Like

Geelong

B: 10. B. Jarvis, 36. B. Schlensog, 56. B. Reid
HB: 20. O. Brownless, 48. A. Black, 39. Z. Guthrie
C: 34. J. Parsons, 5. N. Cockatoo, 16. S. Selwood
HF: 41. J. Jones, 12. W. Buzza, 37. S. Simpson
F: 15. N. Kreuger, 28. D. Fort, 9. Z. Smith

R: 45. R. Abbott, 18. C. Constable, 27. S. Menegola

Int: 79. P. Dowling, 13. L. Fogarty, 47. D. Gore, 21. J. Kennerley, 52. J. McLachlan, 75. C. Mitchell, 49. N. Rokahr, 33. J. Tarca

23P: 81. A. Byrne

–

In: B. Jarvis, J. Jones, A. Byrne, R. Abbott, C. Mitchell, L. Fogarty, N. Cockatoo

Out: K. O’Connor, C. Jones, R. Stanley

Some decent quality in that Geelong side. They’re clearly a healthier list atm.

1st game back for Cockatoo, is this his first game of the year?

1 Like

Nah he played a game about 3 or 4 weeks ago but pulled up a little tight in the hamstring again so this will be his first game since that one.

2 Likes

Cheers.

100 games:

• Josh Tynan (Essendon VFL / ex-Port Melbourne, Frankston and Melbourne AFL-listed)
1 Like

This is the 7 telly game.

With D.Clarke, Begley, Jok, Ham and Laverde selected in the AFL team this week am I right in thinking that makes them all ineligible for our VFL final next week? (during the AFL bye round)

No, they’re fine. The clause in question exists so that the first week of finals is treated much the same as the other three weeks: if your team is still in the AFL finals, you can play in VFL finals even if you haven’t otherwise qualified.

Why is Younan our?
Injury or freshening him up for finals?

(g) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, in circumstances where:

(i) an AFL Club is participating in the AFL Finals Series, but is not playing on the weekend of the AFL bye weekend after the final round of the AFL home and away season; and

(ii) the AFL Club’s VFL team is playing on that weekend,

any AFL listed player who did not play in the AFL Club’s AFL team in the final round of the AFL home and away season will be eligible to play in the Club’s VFL team in the AFL bye round after the final round of the AFL home and away season.

So, anyone who plays in the AFL side this week will be ineligible to play next week!?

No!

Read it.

It is adding a way to qualify, not removing one.