VFL - Round 21 vs Geelong @ Kardinia Park, 11:40am Sunday 25 August 2019 - on telly

Call me illiterate but isn’t it adding a way to qualify as long as they don’t play in the AFLs final round?

So, Fantasia, Heppell, Stringer, ZClarke and Zaharakis could play in the first VFL final (they won’t)
but DClarke, Begley, Jok, Ham and Laverde can’t.

I hope I’m wrong (illiterate).

Short answer - they all can (*over Laverde)

If you’re qualified for VFL finals by

• Playing enough VFL games
  • Not playing too many AFL games
    Then it doesn’t matter if you play AFL in Rd23, you’re still eligible (*that’s my asterisk on Laverde- I’m not sure of his VFL qualification status in terms of games played)

AND

• any player who missed Rd 23 in an AFL finals team (through injury, dropped etc) can also play that first (bye round) final in the VFL.
    Note - they wouldn’t be eligible for any further VFL finals games though unless previously VFL qualified.

It’s an exemption to allow injured players to get some match practice before the AFL finals, if required.

1 Like

LAV qualified three weeks ago.

Correct, unless the club in question is still also playing AFL finals.

Yeah, you’re correct- I got carried away trying to focus on the big names, and sort of doubted Stringer would be left out of the Firsts Semi Final side, so he could play VFL.

I’ve been taking my young fella down to the VFL a few times this season. He thinks it’s the actual Essendon team! He loves kicking the footy on the ground, and then seeing the players run past him. And he likes to see all the other kids in their Bombers gear.

Every weekend he asks if he can go watch the Bombers! I’m sure it’s because he gets ice cream at the game!

The VFL has been the saviour, as last year he said he was a West Coast supporter. This was concerning! I’ve taken him to an AFL game, but he didn’t like sitting still and doesn’t like all the people around.

So if you have kids, I recommend getting them to the VFL matches.

18 Likes

I agree; one should never grow up.

4 Likes

The VFL rocks, I enjoy it more than AFL ( most of the time )

I’m a big kid anyway

5 Likes

VFL saved me during the saga years, seeing the joy, fun and no sht way of playing reminded me of what I enjoyed. It really is a great place to be.

7 Likes

… and we win!

Edit: finals!

1 Like

Having said how much I like the VFL, I’m very 50 50 about driving down to Geelong on Sunday.

Windy Hill tomorrow - you bet

Kardinia Park Sunday - jury is out

1 Like

Yep, same here

1 Like

LAST ENCOUNTER

2019 Rd 5 @ MCG: Essendon 13.16 (94) d Geelong 7.10 (52)

FORMLINES

Geelong (7th on ladder, 10-7 record) had a four-match winning streak ended by a nine-point defeat at the hands of Williamstown last week. / Essendon (4th, 12-5) has dropped back-to-back games to the VFL’s top two, falling to Footscray before a 12-point loss to Richmond in Round 20.

KEY QUESTION

How high can these teams finish on the ladder? This contest might be more about gaining the best preparation for impending finals than anything else. The Cats can finish anywhere from fifth to seventh but will head into an elimination final at Adcon Stadium next week regardless, while the Bombers are locked into fourth position and a daunting qualifying-final clash with minor premiers the Tigers at the Swinburne Centre.

KEY STAT

Top-line skills will be on show when the VFL’s two leading teams for disposal efficiency meet here. Geelong averages a competition-best 70.3 per cent disposal efficiency, but it’s Essendon (69.3 per cent) that takes the cake for converting up forward. Despite some recent form wobbles, the Bombers are still the top-ranked team for goals per game (the Cats rank sixth) and scoring accuracy (5.8 per cent better than Geelong).

SELECTION NEWS

Geelong has replaced recalled AFL ruck Rhys Stanley with Ryan Abbott while also adding fellow AFL-listers Nakia Cockatoo , Lachie Fogarty and Jamaine Jones to its VFL line-up.

Essendon suffers from injury carnage at AFL level, with Jayden Laverde , Josh Begley and Tom Jok (on debut) departing to fill holes in the senior team. VFL-listed goalkicker Danny Younan is also out, but AFL Bombers Michael Hartley , Ben McNiece and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher are welcome inclusions.

1 Like

So I’m gonna guess no one is there.

Cricket only ended seven hours ago…

ZERK

Nice on-the-full there, ya spuds!

Baguley good contested mark from behind.

Myers2Baguley!

Sweet kick and mark.

And a snipe off the play is fifty.

6-0 we lead.

We have 9 AFL players out there, and Geelong have 17.