VFL - Round 6 vs Sandy @ Sandy, 2pm Sundy 13 May 2018

Stolen VFL.com.au preview:

SANDRINGHAM vs ESSENDON – Sunday 2pm @ Trevor Barker Beach Oval

[vfl.com.au LIVE STREAM / VFL Live]

LAST ENCOUNTER

2017 Rd 1 @ Trevor Barker Beach Oval: Sandringham 11.12 (78) d Essendon 10.11 (71)

FORM COMING IN

Last week’s loss to the Box Hill Hawks was the second straight defeat for Sandringham (11th, 2-2) following a positive start to the season. Essendon (7th, 2-2) rebounded from two straight losses with a big victory over North Melbourne in Round 5.

KEY QUESTION

Which team wins the midfield battle royal? These teams are ranked first and second in the VFL in both contested possessions (Zebras on top) and clearances (Bombers on top) per game. Look forward to Kade Answerth, Myke Cook and Ed Phillips (Sandringham) vs Dylan Clarke, Aaron Heppell and Kyle Langford (Essendon).

KEY STAT

For all their evenness in the contests (see above), one key difference between these teams is how they use their ball-winning ability to capitalise on the scoreboard. The Bombers generate over six inside-50s more per game and have scored 92 more total points than the Zebras this season.

1 Like

wheres the team mr radio man?

B: 10. A. Francis, 36. M. Hartley, 14. J. Ridley
HB: 49. M. Dea, 28. M. Brown, 30. B. Zerk-Thatcher
C: 35. M. Guelfi, 37. D. Clarke, 34. J. Long
HF: 20. J. Merrett, 51. A. Boyse, 39. T. Mynott
F: 77. H. Hocking, 38. S. Draper, 40. L. Lavender

R: 22. M. Leuenberger, 4. K. Langford, 57. N. Hind

Int: 76. L. Collins, 63. M. Darby, 68. N. Dixon, 60. B. Fennell, 59. A. Heppell, 24. J. Houlahan, 70. J. Sheahan, 55. D. Younan

23P: 75. T. Crosbie

In: L. Collins, M. Guelfi, M. Darby, M. Brown, T. Mynott, L. Lavender, N. Dixon, M. Leuenberger

Out: J. Ottavi, O. Fantasia, M. Redman, S. McKernan

(Redman injured?)

(AFL emergencies are Ridley, Langford, Guelfi, and Clarke — this game is after the AFL game so no one misses out.)

3 Likes

So probably no late changes for the Bloos game then. Crap.

Oh well, AFL loss is VFL gain for those watching.

1 Like

Sandringham

B: 45. L. Austin, 37. H. Goddard, 40. O. Clavarino
HB: 13. J. Noone, 61. D. Joyce, 78. B. Rice
C: 43. N. Freeman, 2. K. Answerth, 63. J. Sinclair
HF: 62. R. Connellan, 23. T. Lamb, 39. J. Lonie
F: 17. J. Haidon, 36. J. Battle, 11. J. Matera

R: 69. B. Longer, 50. B. Paton, 79. D. McKenzie

Int: 12. B. Bailey, 68. B. Miller, 5. B. Seccull, 27. N. Smith, 15. J. Sziller, 1. D. Weickhardt, 42. B. White, 56. N. Wright

23P: 6. H. Mclean

In: B. Miller, J. Noone, N. Smith, H. Mclean, J. Sziller, J. Haidon, B. White

Out: M. Cook, D. Langlands, E. Phillips

That’s a very tall backline

2 Likes

Which makes it weird Darby is on the (extended) bench.

On form and balance, the seven VFL players might be Hocking, Hind, Fennell, HepA, Sheahan, Younan and 23rd Crosbie. Zero talls there!

I think it goes to show we have more than enough key defence stocks and not enough developing key forwards. Hopefully Lavender impresses

I’m just hoping for one possession, and then we’ll take it from there :joy:

21 Likes

There are a couple of very tall forwards as well. Draper and New Lav both 200cm+.
I don’t like Draper’s ruck time being restricted by Luenberger’s presence. IMO Draper should get the bulk of the ruck time, and Luenberger just when he needs a rest.

5 Likes

Unlike their AFL counterparts…

Ooh live stream

1 Like

Is Leuey contracted for next year?

If he’s not I would transition him into some sort of ruck coaching role now and have him coaching Draper from the sidelines.

Unfortunately the current set up of Draper mostly forward is very Essington!

He would have gained a lot of belief from last year in effectively his first season of football and now playing as a forward who barely gets near it I would imagine it would be a set back.

VFL(w) local release list is out: 41 players from both squads to examine…

Per the list we would conclude the following guys will play: Boyse, Hocking, Hind, Nixon, HepA

Yes, that means we are going in several players short. I think I’m going to give up on this weekly farce.

Last week seemed like good signs from Draper when he got a chance to ruck for long periods. Peru’s got a lot more taps, but from tjenreports it sounds like Draper was very competitive. Plus he got 19 possessions and 4 tackles which has to be a best for him.

He should continue to be rucking at least 50%, but you just know he won’t when Leuey is there

1 Like

Yep, Draper has a lot of potential.

I can’t see how playing him forward so much will help but it’s understandable considering how many talls we have in the VFL.

That Melbourne game should have proven that’s leuey is cooked. They should be pumping ruck minutes into Draper now

4 Likes

Can only hope so but I think we know it won’t happen.

He’s one of the better young ruckman we have had for some time and he’s still very new to AFL.

Last week, in Luenberger’s absence, he got to ruck for most of the game against Preuss. It is this sort of experience he needs to become AFL ready.

4 Likes

How was Preuss last week ? Looked the goods last year when he stepped up to afl level.