VFL - Round 7 vs Cats @ Windy Hill, 12noon Saturday 19 May 2018

Great reporting, 3DJR, and a fine win by the lads. If only the AFL team could do as well…

Baby steps! Important to remember it’s a work in progress for him. He has very little football background, and none against men!

16 Likes

‘wind’

I wonder if Worsfold has used that one yet.

Get all 7 of the boys in there!

1 Like

Francis, ZT and Brown all good. Parish busy. Green not enough around the ground

4 me the highlight was the trick goal kicked over his head by Mynott. Would be goal of the year in the afl.
We won that game with the wind in the 3rd quarter !!! With green and darcy at centre bounces we got the ball forward many times and got marks inside 50 or locked the ball in for a domination that was different to the ping pong play in the other quarters.
Bests:
Green. Kicked about 3 and got a good run in the guts. Good pressure and managed a classic seagull and snapped some half chances.
Parish: played in the middle for almost the whole game. Some good clearances.
Francis. Full back, HFF, big bodied mid, he did it all. Intercept marks until the mid afternoon (7?).
Zerk. Coming along well 7 vfl games. Took a couple of contested intercept marks in the last quarter when geelong were coming at us.
Redman. Run off half back exciting. Took his turn at stoppages. Tough unit.

Mynott getting used to the level.
New Lav. Starting to get the hang of footy. Kicked a great goal.
Long. In and out of the game. Nothing special today.
Drapes. Improving in his craft around the ground.
Sorry if i forgot anyone but it was a great team effort. Its good for essendon to win, let alone back2back!

15 Likes

Geelong was the better team for >50% of the game, but we were amazing for the twenty minutes centred on three quarter time.

Essentially we’ve swapped Smack for NewLAV and that loses a lot of dynamism forward (but he did actually contribute today!)

Green did very well midfield so spent more time there and that didn’t help us trap it forward. Brown was forward and with Boyse a little down he did much of the long leads in the first half to keep us relevant.

Might have to bring back PETERS to balance out Green going up next week.

Younan was very good in his duel role of key position player and crumber.

4 Likes

Did Francis play out all four quarters? How did he look at the end?

Francis played out the whole game. He was rotated forward and back, but excitedly, thru the middle. Really solid game.

22 Likes

I wasn’t at the game @Bull, so don’t know, was just responding re Mynott.

Am sure one of the poster’s there will be able to answer your question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Who is New Lav ?

2 Likes

GRANNYYYY!! (Lavender)

1 Like

Luke Lavender. His dad is Blitzer S_K.

3 Likes

Except in everyone else’s comments.
I’m assuming you’re a republican who just hates Corgis.
Fair enough.

This is not new news, but Redman needs to go to the seniors.

So I don’t have to distinguish him and Hind… at least Redman wore blue boots today to help a bit.

4 Likes

I don’t think he came back on, making our midfield challenge all the tougher. Hence the likes of Green Redman and Franga getting good midfield time.

1 Like

No talk of the VFL players…the ones that put in every week only to play second fiddle to AFL… most work fulltime or study and hold the team together.

2 Likes

Danny was awesome (as usual) and I wish he was on our senior list!

1 Like

I was at the game today, so I will give my 2 bobs worth.
I will preface things by noting that I seem to be notoriously less effusive about how individuals went, so call that pessimism or realism or whatever you like…

Teamwise, Geelong were the better team for a fair slice of the game, most of the first half and the last half of the last quarter. They tackled and pressured fiercely all day. They were very clean with ball in their handball and short kicking (better than us, with us putting ourselves under pressure frequently from fumbles and double grabs). However, for most of the 3rd and start of the last, we matched their pressure around the contest and the stoppages, and boy did we make the most of it. We held the ball in the forward 50 almost exclusively for the last 10min of the 3rd, and frankly, kicked a few hack goals from contested situations. In fact, a lot of our goals today came from quick snaps of 20m or so. We suffered from the lack of Clarke, Langford and Guelfi around the stoppages. It was a very good, hard earned win that looked pretty unlikely of 2 and a half quarters.

7 Likes

Did not play: Merrett (AFL emergency), Collins, Dixon, Ottavi

Brown — full-forward, and ran hard and long to give us opportunities, especially in the first half when Draper and NewLAV weren’t offering much. 3 goals.

Hartley — a confident Hartley is way too good for this level.

McNeice — sure, less pressure than AFL, but his intercepts and kicks were damaging

Redman — was one of those to step up to help a midfield missing Langford/Clarke/Guelfi and then Fennell. He’s a dangerous player when he breaks the lines.

Francis — back, forward, or mid? YES.

B. Zerk-Thatcher — legit find. Is a great contested mark, composed, can get it off the ground at speed.

Long — went missing for the first half, much more involved in the second but had a couple trademark awful clangers.

Mynott — apart from his great goal over the head, I probably missed a lot of his inside stuff.

Seagull #1 — three goals to Green, despite him spending a lot of time as an inside midfielder. Didn’t see that or his numerous clearances coming! Has to be an excellent chance to be in the AFL team next week, perhaps for that underperforming forward Clarke.

Draper — almost all of the game forward. SAD.

Lavender — just keep improving at this pace, thanks.

Leuenberger — exactly what you’d expect. Unco as hell, but he gets his hands dirty and gets it done.

Parish — got a full game in the midfield, got stacks, tackled, will not go gentle into that good night

Houlahan — recovered from an ankle scare. I still don’t notice him except when he marks thirty out and gets a set shot on goal. Might have to Watch him.

Hind — half-back and mid. Good game, but I can’t get out of mind the bit where he fell on his face trying to accelerate out of a cricket patch soft patch

HepA — not as overt as the last couple weeks, but a decent contributor through the midfield

Boyse — relatively quiet game

Hocking — such a shame his shot from deep in the pool pocket hit the goal post, would have been a stunning goal

Fennell — rib (?) damage at the start of the game, really forced us to bring extras in to share the midfield load

McQueen — has big hair

Seagull #2 — I said some unkind things about Younan last year, but this was yet another quality performance.

Sheahan — his quick-to-boot goal was so nice I assumed it was McNeice initially

Crosbie — running out of weeks he can be used as 23rd man, but he’s close to getting a game without that. Tidy small defender.

18 Likes