VFL - Round 7 vs Cats @ Windy Hill, 12noon Saturday 19 May 2018

Essendon
State league affiliate: Essendon (VFL)
This weekend: Essendon v Geelong - Saturday, May 19, 12pm, Windy Hill

Omitted pair Darcy Parish and Ben McNiece responded strongly in Essendon’s seven-point VFL win over Geelong at Windy Hill on Saturday.

Parish and rookie McNiece were among the Bombers’ most prolific ball winners in performances that should have them in the senior selection mix.

Ruckman Matthew Leuenberger was workmanlike and Aaron Francis continued his good form in defence.

In attack, the versatile Mitch Brown kicked three goals while small forward Josh Green also chimed in with three majors, two of them from snaps in a tense final term.

rip reddy

I wouldn’t be upset if we gave Hind a shot.

3 Likes

Green with 20 possessions and 3 goals.

Channeling Stevie J! :stuck_out_tongue:

BRING

3 Likes

In his 20 disposals. I would estimate 10 from 10 minutes as a mid and 10 from the rest of his time as a forward. However, to extrapolate that midfield performance to AFL level is dangerous.

Make no mistake, he brings pressure in his forward role inside 50, but does he have the tank to play in the midfield and run both ways ? Probably not. Its clear he might be useful rotating through the midfield but only with some bigger, more mobile mids who will run both ways.

I would like to see Green get more midfield practice if they keep him in the VFL for a week. He could equally gain selection in the AFL this week and I would be OK with it.

Greens hands in close are quick and creative.

Somebody mentioned he played midfield as a junior and I wasn’t too surprised.

He’s good in contested situations also.

1 Like

This is exactly the reason why Green has been playing AFL - Valuable when the team is in defensive transition.

1 Like

It was @Humble_Minion

1 Like

P.S. Go to 24:00 and LOL at the disallowed point by Hartley. Redman is screaming at the poor kid to give it to Hartley because he’s 65 out and that means he’s in easy one-step-and-kick range. And then at 24:40 Hartley wants another go…

From that:

• The Bombers are the VFL’s top-ranked outfit for contested possessions per game and they won that count 170-149 against Geelong, in addition to winning clearances 46-33. Essendon’s Darcy Parish recorded game-highs in both categories with 21 contested possessions and 10 clearances alongside his 32 disposals.
  • Redman equal 6th for kicks, equal 14th for marks
  • Parish equal 3rd for handballs
  • Younan equal 4th for tackles, St Francis equal 5th
  • Leuenberger 2nd for hit-outs
  • Younan 5th for season goals
9 Likes

I really like Younan, what I have seen of him he plays like a bull terrier. :slightly_smiling_face:

And that goal Mynott (no.39) kicked which I saw in the highlights package was fantastic.

3 Likes

Agree, every time I have seen Younan play he has impressed me.

1 Like

Even at this level Parish just keeps handballing. Someone teach him to kick.

He’s an average kick by any standards.

For a Pick 5, he’s a poor kick.

1 Like

Things are not all as they seem with this guy though.

Aw Geez, don’t leave us hangin’

Does anyone know at what stage of the game Mynott kicked that goal over his head? I want to find it on the replay.

Bad breath.

You know NewBlitz has a pretty decent search function now, right?

1 Like