VFL - Round 8 vs Fark Northern @ Pissy Park, 1pm Saturday 26 May 2018

GOALS: Brown 4, Younan 3, Green 2, Luenberger 2, Boyse 2, Long, Redman, Mynott, Houlahan, Draper, Heppell 1.

5 Likes

Big unco Northern ruckman’s grandparents are on the tram back to the city with me.
They aren’t hugely impressed with the result or my above description…

13 Likes

Watched the scum walk off up close at 3/4 time.
Jeez they’ve got some ugly mugs in that team.
In no danger from Donnington

15 Likes

Many thanks to everyone for the commentaries and descriptions. Loved all those goals coming through like autumn leaves in a breeze.

2 Likes

8.6 to 0.1 in that last quarter…

8 Likes

Sorry guys just wondering who is New Lav?

Strachan.

6 Likes

Hahaha!

1 Like

Thoughts…

Francis - hells yes! Looks in fantastic shape. Intercepting all over the place. Can’t be far off.

Redman - really liked his work through the middle. Very solid player. Will play senior level soon. Was at the Center bounce a few times.

Mynott - I can see it, a bit more time in the vfl needed but there’s something there.

Parish - some really sharp clearances by hand. Kicking seemed ok. Attended a large % of center bounces.

Green - was hated by the blues fans, so I loved his game. Was in the midfield more than his standard role at afl level.

Lavender - looked ok, not dominant but not a liability. Had a few good marks and kicks. Also got out bodied in a few marking contests and had 1 tackle slip. Definitely something to work with and he’d have won a lot more contests with a couple more years building his body.

McNeice - knows how to structure the team, directing players from the bench to set up and adjust to the opposition structure changing. Some sharp kicks. Good game.

Bezerk - this guy will be good. Still a bit lean, but he’s class.

Draper - took some great marks. Contested at the bounces well. Was working hard, completely spent one time when he rotated to the bench.

Long - interesting that the forward coach said he hadn’t been working hard enough on the wing in the first quarter. Did some nice stuff, but just could have done things cleaner or harder. Ok, but not great.

Jerrett - see Long. Ok, just not as classy as he’d need to be at the next level. Was one of the most vocal in the huddles, so he knows what needs to be done.

13 Likes
4 Likes

Highlights;

Huge last quarter

Aaron Francis

Freebie hot dogs on the way out, good to get something for nothing from FCFC

9 Likes

I’m a ■■■■ typer. I think that’s pretty well established.

1 Like

DAN JOR-DAN.

BRING.HIM.IN.

CAN COACH.

Northern were 3 down by the second quarter, so blow out probably expected.

Well, they didn’t hit me!

1 Like

Noting that I’m bad at match reports, haven’t seen the stats, was looking down at my phone quite a bit trying to type smartarse comments, and this is only my second VFL game of the season, here’s my attempt:

They stuck with us for the first three quarters, but I don’t think we ever looked seriously challenged. The margin was two goals or more from early in the second.

We certainly weren’t playing well in that time - missed targets, sloppy manning up and a few undisciplined frees. No excuses really, because the weather was perfect. But they were far worse, and my god, Frankston must have been terrible to lose to them.

And then in the last it all clicked. @WindsockBoy said Fark Northern were a few down, which makes sense, because they weren’t running. We were. We found space, hit targets (granted, under little pressure), tackled hard and kicked goals.

Another highlight was getting in half price after the young gatekeepers didn’t check the expiry date on my student card. No way I’m giving Fark Carlton more money than I have to.

Individual efforts in no particular order:

Franga - I don’t know who his opponent was for most of the day, but it may have been Palmer. If that’s the case, he was probably playing a bit loose because Palmer kicked five of their eight goals. Having said that, Franga kept clunking intercept marks and setting up rebounds. His kicks are bullet-like and his decision-making pretty good. Wouldn’t look out of place in the seniors at all.

McNiece - did some really clever, creative things, especially in the last. Someone mentioned he was marshalling the backline too, in which case he did a pretty good job - Northern really struggled to hit targets up forward.

Parish - Jeepers he worked hard, getting on and under a lot and often emerging with it. Needs to be a bit more polished with disposal before he commands automatic selection in our AFL midfield, but he’s getting there.

Long - didn’t see that much of him, but looked OK when he had it. I think.

Mynott - also didn’t notice him that much until the last, but that might have been because he was at the bottom of packs. Looked good with the ball though - composed, decent enough skills, good decisions.

Zerk - combines the silk (and no. 30) of Ryder with the desperation, dare, and Inspector Gadget-like arms of Fletcher. Has some development to go but love the look of him.

Draper - hasn’t continued the same trajectory of improvement from last year, but I guess if he had, he’d be the number one ruckman in the AFL by now. Looks a bit more polished, a bit less lumbering and a bit better by foot than last year, but still has a way to go. Superb no-look-behind-the-head-hitout-to-a-running-Hepp was amazing.

Brown - looked good up forward. Might have been because the ball was coming in so often but he made excellent leads and had a lot of shots. Kicked four but probably should have kicked six.

Green - looked busy early but didn’t notice him that much after quarter time really. Might have just been me. Joined the party in the last with a seagull combo special with Younan.

Redman - looks like a very good player at this level - would like to know if he can step up. I’m sure he’d like the opportunity too. Certainly could play the Goddard role.

NewLav - didn’t see much of him but obviously he’s getting put in a few new positions and getting used to the game.

Leuey - gave away a few frees in the ruck but looked too good up forward in the last. Probably honours even with Phillips? Not a decisive battle anyway.

Merrett - runs really really hard to get into space and provide a link-up option. Seemed to be vocal too, providing some leadership with a few senior VFL-listers out. Fumbled a few times but good with ball in hand - still wouldn’t be putting him in the ones any time soon.

Houlahan - was leaving Houlahan watch to @theDJR. But did notice a few strong tackles and a couple of marks up forward.

I don’t know the VFL players enough but I will touch on Younan, a crucial member of the seagull brigade. I thought when he first started playing for us a couple of seasons ago that he must be one of the most useless footballers going around. I don’t know how he has turned it around so completely, but he has - and I am happy to say I was very, very wrong on him. Tackles hard, runs hard, and definitely knows where the goals are.

21 Likes

Essendons 20 players and 2 seagulls thrashes Carltons 19 remaining pelicans.

4 Likes

I mentioned it already but the crested pigeons were blooody annoying filling space; lucky not to get whacked by the ball as we kicked through them to leads.

I assume Fark Carlton have just re-seeded, ‘cause those birds were extremely busy.

1 Like

Did Brown kick 6?

Four plus a couple of misses.

1 Like