VFL - Round 8 vs Fark Northern @ Pissy Park, 1pm Saturday 26 May 2018

Did not play: Hartley (new dad), Clarke (GWS emergency), Collins, Strachan

Thanks @Crazy_Bomber, bull terrier kicked 3. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Franga kept clunking intercept marks and setting up rebounds.

I believe his role is usually an intercepting defender and he plays off opponents so I am not surprised at your observation. If he was asked to lock down on Palmer then it sounds like he failed.

1 Like

I think what’s interesting compared to previous years is that our prime movers at VFL level this year have been AFL listed guys who are <23yo.

In previous years we’ve had VFL listed guys and ageing AFL listed guys filling prime roles (“protecting the kids”!), but this year it’s been Clarke and Mutch and Redman and Parish doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

This is a really good sign for us growing an AFL level midfield into the future.

7 Likes

Francis is the perfect intercept defender. Still annoys me we wasted him up forward, let him either play lock down/intercept defender depending on the opposition and let him flourish.

3 Likes

Cassidy was listed in the bests for the country team in the Young Guns game at Port Melbourne earlier in the day.

(Kalan Huntly is yet to get a VFL game with us, but kicked a goal for Country too.)

It was interesting to see NewLAV switch with Zerk in the last quarter. The defense wasn’t tested in that quarter, but it suddenly had the height to match anything from the Blues (was it McKay wearing 5 for the Blues?). NewLAV is pretty mobile for his size, so he just stayed by McKay’s side wherever he went. Maybe if Hartley wasn’t in each week, NewLAV might have been started as a defender with Essendon? Anyway, having the other talls like Zerk/Darby/NewLAV to man up tightly, allows Francis to be freed as spare man, zone off and use his intercept marking. I suspect it is the team plan.

In conclusion, look at the ridiculous depth we can arguably call upon for tall-medium defenders:

Hooker (3 more years after this)
Hartley
NewLAV (just shadow his opponent and punch?)
Brown
Hurley (4 more years after this)
Ambrose
Zerk-Thatcher
Francis
Gleeson
Ridley
Dea
Redman

3 Likes

5 is De Koning. He was quite impressive - 201 cm with good hands and mobile. He was causing problems early so Zerk-Thatcher was shifted onto him. That quietened him a bit but nullified Zerk-Thatcher’s influence too.

Lavender is very raw but there is something there I think. He is surprisingly agile for his size.

4 Likes

We’ve moved into fourth place, 11% ahead of Box Hill.

We are 0.11% behind Casey.

3 Likes

EFC official bests: Franga, Brown, Parish, HepA, Sheahan, McNeice.

10 Likes

The Bombers had the Blues at arm’s length all day. However, they couldn’t overcome the applied pressure until a final quarter deluge of 8.6 to 0.1 saw them notch another scalp, 19.14.128 to 8.7.55.

The Northern Blues’ pressure prevented the Bombers from running away with the match while Jesse Palmer (five goals) kept his side in the contest with his unerring accuracy in front of the big sticks.

A goal from Aaron Heppell just before three-quarter-time gave Essendon some breathing space and the revitalised Bombers finally wrestled the game onto their terms in the fourth quarter.

Without captain Heath Hocking, Heppell led the Bombers. He gathered 25 touches and was outstanding, but wasn’t alone as many of his teammates lifted around him.

Ben McNiece’s excellent disposal and rebound turned defence into attack, while defenders Aaron Francis and Jamieson Sheahan (22 touches each) intercepted and repelled with aplomb.

At the other end of the ground, Mitch Brown enjoyed a day out with 20 touches and four goals, ably supported by Danny Younan (three goals) and Josh Green (two).

Essendon had to fight hard in the congestions, but gained the upper hand through the rotating ruck pair Sam Draper and Matt Leuenberger.

Darcy Parish (29), Heppell (25), Francis, McNiece and Sheahan (22), Mason Redman and Trent Mynott (21) and Jackson Merrett (20) were the biggest ball-winners for the Bombers.

Coach Dan Jordan said his side showed fight in overcoming the Blues.

“I thought Hepp was terrific in terms of setting up and driving the standards,” Jordan said.

“Parish had a fair bit of it and Ben McNiece was great with his setting up and run and carry.

“Sometimes you’re trying to be ruthless. We spoke about contested ball and we were up 28 there…we knew they’ve got a lot of quality players and we would have to contain a few.

“Palmer and De Koning got on top early so we just had to knuckle down and defend well. We got a lot of opportunities but didn’t put it to the sword until the last quarter.”

The victory is Essendon’s fourth in a row and Jordan says his side is showing signs of continued improvement.

“I still think we’ve got a bit of petrol in the tank but we’re still winning and having momentum and having patches of games where we’re stringing it all together.

“The cohesion and the unity amongst the group is the pleasing thing for me, AFL and VFL players.”

Essendon will face Footscray under lights next Saturday night at VU Whitten Oval from 6pm.

ESSENDON 5.1 7.5 11.8 19.14.128
NORTHERN BLUES 3.4 4.5 8.6 8.7.55

GOALS:
Essendon – Brown 4, Younan 3, Leuenberger 2, Boyse 2, Green 2, Houlahan, Heppell, Redman, Long, Mynott, Draper.
Carlton – Palmer 5, De Koning 2, Phillips.

4 Likes

Best on.

The “Interceptor”

1 Like

Another 20+ disposal game from Mynott, should start having a big impact when he gets major midfield time

1 Like

Mynott got major midfield time today (100% ?). Good to see him back to his pre and early season form.

3 Likes

That’s now his 4th game this year and he hasn’t gone below 20 yet

1 Like

Today was the first time I’ve had a good look at Mynott and I liked what I saw, He seems a natural footballer and, what I really like, he keeps cool under pressure. He needs another preseason in the gym but could be a serious chance to get AFL games next year.

5 Likes

Some great work between Redman and Mynott through the middle today.

If hes mentally up to it (in himself I’m talking) then it might be good to play him the next two matches leading into the bye

Seems to have that knack of snagging goals too.

Frang BOG and he is not a mid ? Must have been a super performance.