VFL - Round 3 vs. Fark Carlton @ Windy Hill 12:05 PM Sunday 2 May 2021

1 Like

Hickman is one to keep an eye on imo.

4 Likes

How old is o’kearney, goes ok too

1 Like

Hint: first screen shot should include just 10 players if you want Blitz to show the two images the same size.

1 Like

Of the senior listed players:

• Cahill probably our best (albeit mostly playing around the midfield). Made a few mistakes but worked hard - I don’t think he’s suited to defence.

• Ambrose looks fit, competed well but didn’t get a lot of opportunities - not sure forward line is his go but the coaches seem set on keeping him there.

• Brand and McBride showed a bit at different stages, IMO. Both are good sizes and could be fair units in another year or two.

• BZT had a few really good moments but was poorly beaten a few other times. Has some tools to work with but too often misjudged the flight of the ball in the windy conditions.

• Eyre is nowhere near it atm - struggled to have an impact and dropped a few marks he’d like to have taken. Just needs games, along with some more support.

6 Likes

Five year bump! And DayTripper once made a post about footy!!!

3 Likes

Yeah nah

No.

Has Eyre ever had to play ruck before ? done a fair bit of it today.

Played there occasionally as a junior. Looked better today than he did back then.

1 Like

I think he’s being called upon to fill a gap…not much more.

Guys like Eyre, Brand & McBride will all take a couple years to really develop their fitness & size. I am not expecting a lot from them this year.

1 Like

I do not envy our forwards in the VFL… They really get some very average delivery.

Haven’t read the thread and not sure what was said on the broadcast but thought I’d offer a bit of insight on today - we lost two this morning sick before the game meaning two guys came in very late and backed up for us, then lost Cutler, Harrold and Tynan before halftime meaning we were down to one on the bench for the entire second half. Waters and Cian then succumbed to niggles they’d carried most of the day in the last meaning we actually finished with 17, and I believe 11 rotations total for the entire second half (normally over a hundred a game at VFL level). I mention this not as an excuse but to really give the group a bit of a pump up for gutting out a really difficult day against good opposition. We still want to win those games of course but the group could’ve dropped their bundle but didn’t and should be proud of the effort to keep putting in, showed a lot of character.
We might need a pickle juice sponsor after the amount we got through today though.

Edit : one of those we lost this morning was our ruckman meaning Cian who’d never rucked got thrown in there along with Eyrey.

35 Likes

Sounds like no luck at all @Paul_Cousins
Pretty hard to be competitive with only 17 blokes.

1 Like

Thanks! Was wondering what happened with McLarty. Hopefully those injuries aren’t anything too serious.

2 Likes

Spot on, they did not drop their heads

2 Likes

Thanks for that info @Paul_Cousins.

I think they struggled when they lost confidence, and why wouldn’t they when they know very well those injuries have occurred. But they were still trying when I headed to the G.

2 Likes

Yep Sam and Angus Baker were the two who had to withdraw this morning.

2 Likes

Does Essendon have any recruiting rights to our VFL players?