VFLW 2021 squad

Yes, that was definitely reported. But she’s explicitly shown as remaining on their list in today’s article here:

1 Like

The mysterious Gloria Elarmaly (signed in 2019, yet to play a game) gets a mention, as does Fede Freak Frew.

Prespakis, Gillard, and Slender made the All-Australian team (note this is nominally only based on performances within the state games, not from performance overall through the year).

Georgie Prespakis (Victoria Metro/Calder Cannons)
Date of Birth 13/03/03
Height 168cm
Exciting midfielder who excels in the contest at stoppages and kicks with penetration. Strong overhead and an aggressive tackler, she averaged 28 disposals (20 contested) four marks, eight tackles and 8.5 clearances in matches against Victoria Country and WA. She hails from the Sunbury Lions Football with her sister Madison, a current superstar with Carlton, no doubt inspiring her on the journey towards the AFLW. Another current member of the NAB AFL Academy.

Tahlia Gillard (Victoria Metro/Calder Cannons)
Date of Birth 12/12/03
Height 190cm
Ruck still developing her craft at stoppages and is mobile and very capable overhead. Emerging from the Essendon Douta Stars, she was very prominent in Victoria Metro’s win over Western Australia after also leading her team in the ruck against Victoria Country averaging 12.5 disposals, 15 hitouts and three marks across the two games. Another member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

Tara Slender (Victoria Country/Bendigo Pioneers)
Date of Birth 11/03/03
Height 175cm
Key forward from Strathfieldsaye Storm who can also play midfield or in defence. A left footer who is strong overhead and athletic, averaged 10 disposals and 2.5 marks in the Championships. A girl not to mess with she also is a seven-time national champion in karate! A current member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

1 Like

She won’t be the #1 pick: a QLD club has that, and has conned Charlie Rowbottom into nominating into that state.

by Sarah Black

Georgie Prespakis in action during the U19 Champs between Vic Metro and WA on April 15, 2021. Picture: AFL Photo

BEING the little sister must be tough sometimes.

Being the little sister of an AFLW best and fairest winner would be even more difficult.

Georgie Prespakis has steadily been making a name for herself in her own right over the past few years, dominating junior football ranks, an ever-present threat round the stoppages in her long sleeves and blonde ponytail.

She’s two-and-a-half years younger and four centimetres taller than Carlton star Maddy, and like her older sister, Georgie won’t be waiting long to hear her name read out at Tuesday’s NAB AFLW Draft.

“When I started at Calder Cannons, it was obviously a bit like, ‘you’re Maddy’s sister’, but now I’m used to it, it’s not a big deal,” Prespakis told womens.afl .

"If anything, it’s probably sort of a good thing. I’m proud of what she’s achieved, and she’s done some amazing things already in the AFLW.

“But I’ve made my own name for myself and I hope that I can hopefully take that into the AFLW and do good things just for myself, not for anyone else, really.”

The two don’t really talk too much footy outside of exchanging the usual pleasantries (e.g. good game, well done), but Georgie, a member of the NAB AFLW Academy, has been able to get an excellent insight into what’s required at the top level.

“It’s been a long process for her, and she’s looked like she’s had so much fun along the way especially at Carlton, but it goes to show how much hard work you got to put in, too,” she said.

Prespakis played juniors with the boys in Romsey (uninterested in anything below under-10s as she wanted to tackle), and then crossed to Sunbury when she was around 14, playing in the under-18 youth girls’ competition.

Quickly ushered into the Calder Cannons development program, she took out the then-TAC Cup best and fairest at just 16 in 2019.

Following her NAB League season this year, she has lined up for Essendon in the VFLW, playing four games and named her side’s second-best in the Bombers’ two finals thus far.

“I love to be able to win a contested ball. I love to be able to win my own footy, but especially just being able to transition from the back line and the forward line (as a linking player),” Prespakis said.

“A tackle can be something special too, especially when it’s a chase-down tackle when you didn’t think you had it in you. Not so much kicking a goal, after a goal I don’t really know how to celebrate, I’m a bit awkward.”

Prespakis is currently working at Strathmore Secondary College, assisting in the PE department (where she isn’t afraid to help out the losing team during class matches) and has a burgeoning footy photography hobby.

“It’s just so soothing, it’s just enjoyable, it’s so relaxing,” Prespakis said.

“It’s not pressured, you can just go to the local footy and get a good photo here and there, and if it’s a pretty good photo, you feel good about yourself, and other people enjoy the photos.”

1 Like

Also, since I haven’t been able to do any game milestones recently: the best person at our club turned 25 this week.

And if you don’t know who that is: GET OUT.

(or just go to the first post of this thread, it’s pretty obvious)

1 Like

The captain says always leave enough space in your baggage to nick a doona.

1 Like

So pretty much all of the mock drafts have Prespakis, Yassir, and Slender in the first 15.

Our only non-NAB League woman mentioned has been Barba; and so far only as an honorary mention outside pick 30.

I am going to cling to the repeated comments about Prespakis leaving whoever drafts her once we arrive in:

1 Like

Alex… SHUT. UP.

Here are the top prospects from Vic Metro and the VFLW.

Alana Barba – Essendon VFLW

Midfielder/Forward – 26/09/2001, 166cm

After being overlooked on draft day twice, Barba has enjoyed a breakout season in Essendon’s VFLW side, who are still in the premiership mix.

She flew under the radar as a forward in her draft year, only kicking three goals in 11 games for the Calder Cannons and averaging 12 disposals and seven tackles. It couldn’t be a more different story in 2021 however, where Barba has become one of the most eye-catching players in the VFLW.

Barba is one of the premier midfielders of the competition, averaging 16 disposals, seven tackles and two clearances. More importantly though, she’s kicked 10 goals in her 16 games.

There are not many players more dangerous than Barba in a stoppage inside 50. If she can find separation from the contest, she’s likely to score from anywhere. An understated type off-field, she lets her play do the talking, a key part of Essendon’s high-intensity pressure gamestyle.

Bombers teammate Mia-Rae Clifford spoke to The Inner Sanctum about Barba in the pre-season.

“She’s already got a good footy IQ, she’s fit and like a lot of these young kids she can already kick left and right. She’s got the attributes of an AFLW player,” Clifford said.

“Teams will rue the day she didn’t get a shot when she’s on a list, that’s for sure.”

A team like St Kilda or North Melbourne would be a good fit for Barba. The Saints would love another hard-nosed midfielder alongside Rosie Dillon to free up Georgia Patrikios, who can also rotate forward and provide a strong scoring option at ground level.

VFLW Bombers fall to league leaders
Barba is one of the best midfielder/forwards available in 2021. (Photo: Essendon FC)

He then goes on to mention 6 NAB League Girls and 2 other VFLW women. No one has mentioned Nanscawen and the list of people who have nominated is annoyingly not public.

1 Like

@theDJR @Catherine_Lio what is the time line for the AFLW expansion announcements?

Knowing the AFL… probably after it’s too late to join the 22/23 season?

1 Like

I believe it isn’t for another week or two… :frowning:

1 Like

#2 Prespakis to Geelong
#7 Friswell to Geelong
#16 Yassir to Richmond
#19 Slender to Norf
#27 Snell to Footscray
#42 Gillard to Melbourne

Faaaaaaark me, if we had a license this year and got to keep this disproportionate group (plus others who missed out, such as Lennox) it would have been HUGE.

Barba too old and not shiny enough? Get farked. The idea she’s not in the best (and most flexible) 500+ players in the country is ridiculous.

2 Likes

If Geelong try to block Prespakis and friswell from playing our last two vflw games I RIOT. Especially against them.

1 Like

“The latest lockdown means the rebel VFLW Grand Final cannot be played before the AFLW Draft, which is set down for next Tuesday, July 27, and the AFL has written to all AFLW clubs to declare that any player drafted must be allowed and encouraged to complete the VFLW season before joining their new team.”

2 Likes

I see what you did there, and I approve.

2 Likes

(Snell and Gillard not shown.)

3 Likes

Congrats to the girls that got selected. Well done.

Hey, I didn’t know you could do double bold!

Essendon’s women’s football program has received a glowing endorsement, with six VFLW Bombers selected in Tuesday night’s AFLW draft.

Star ball-winner Georgie Prespakis headlined the group as the No.2 pick (Geelong), with Zali Friswell (pick No.7, Geelong), Emelia Yassir (pick No.16, Richmond), Tara Slender (pick No.19, North Melbourne), Elizabeth Snell (pick No.27, Western Bulldogs) and Tahlia Gillard (pick No.42, Melbourne) also finding new homes.

All six draftees have balanced playing commitments with Essendon and their respective NAB League clubs this season, featuring mainly in the back half of the VFLW season and the Bombers’ maiden finals campaign.

Prespakis, the younger sister of Carlton’s Madison Prespakis, has been a driving force in particular in Essendon’s journey to a preliminary final, averaging 18 disposals and 12 tackles across the Bombers’ two finals games.

VFLW operations manager Charlotte Miller said the Bombers’ strong representation at the AFLW draft was a testament to the strength of their women’s football program, with Essendon poised to enter the AFLW competition as early as 2022.

"It’s really special for us and it shows the depth and strength of our program. It’s really exciting for us to see these girls get picked up but also quite devastating to see people you’ve spent time with and energy developing then go off to other clubs," Miller said.

"We understand that’s (development) the purpose of our program right now and that will change (with an AFLW licence). Hopefully we’ll get to see these girls in the future again."

The six draftees will be allowed to complete their VFLW finals campaign with Essendon, as the Bombers prepare for a preliminary final against Geelong at Windy Hill on Saturday.

Should Essendon prevail, it will face Collingwood at North Port Oval on Sunday, August 8 in the VFLW Grand Final.

BOMBERS TAKEN IN AFLW DRAFT

Georgie Prespakis
Pick: No.2, Geelong
Position: Midfielder
Drafted from: Calder Cannons/Essendon
Games played with Essendon this season: Four

Zali Friswell
Pick: No.7, Geelong
Position: Midfielder
Games played with Essendon this season: Seven

Emelia Yassir
Pick: No.16, Richmond
Position: Forward/mid
Games played with Essendon this season: Six

Tara Slender
Pick: No.19, North Melbourne
Position: Forward
Drafted from: Bendigo Pioneers/Essendon
Games played with Essendon this season: Three

Elizabeth Snell
Pick: No.27, Western Bulldogs
Position: Forward/mid
Drafted from: Bendigo Pioneers/Essendon
Games played with Essendon this season: Four

Tahlia Gillard
Pick: No.42, Melbourne
Position: Ruck
Games played with Essendon this season: Three

1 Like

Happy for the girls but kinda sucks that when we enter we will have a weakened AFLW squad

I think she was inspired by that day I went to my first (only) Calder Cannons game up at Crazyburn and gave her a “meh” rating (LINK). Others then said it was her best game to date, showing how insightful I am…

Convert your chances this weekend, kick three, and put us in the grand Final, thanks.

Geelong draftee Zali Friswell on July 28, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

NEWLY drafted by Geelong, powerful runner Zali Friswell will line up against the Cats this weekend, representing Essendon in the VFLW preliminary final.

The last two weeks of the season were delayed following a COVID-19 lockdown, leading to the unusual situation which will also see Georgie Prespakis rep the sash against their newly acquired hoops.

“It’s going to be pretty weird going against the Cats,” Friswell told womens.afl .

“But for this weekend, I’m in the Bombers squad, so I just have to try and win that, even though I’m against the Cats.”

Friswell was a somewhat surprise selection at pick No.7. While she was definitely in the mix to find a spot on an AFLW list, the midfielder herself was shocked at how little time she had to wait.

“I’ve had a dream to become an AFLW player ever since I was little, so it was pretty surreal for it to come true,” she said.

"When my name was read out, it was pretty surreal, I wasn’t expecting to go with pick No.7. But I’m happy to go to the Geelong Cats and I’m pretty excited.

“My family was jumping around in shock, my dad just started screaming, it was pretty funny.”

Friswell had a chat with new Geelong coach Dan Lowther while her phone was lighting up with messages of congratulations.

“Patrick Dangerfield contacted me, Maddy Keryk and a few of the AFL and AFLW players, Joel Selwood, there were about five or so AFL players, which I didn’t think would happen,” she said.

“It made me think the Cats is a home environment, and it made me feel welcome.”

Friswell, who played her junior footy at Aberfeldie before graduating to the Calder Cannons, will be making the trip down the highway with teammate Prespakis.

“I’m happy I get to go to the club with Georgie, I’m pretty close with her. I’ve played with her for the past three years – she knows how I play and I know how she plays, so just to have her in my new team is pretty surreal,” she said.

Zali Friswell competes at the NAB League testing day in January. Picture: AFL Photos

The 17-year-old topped the charts of the Combine invitees who completed their 2km time trials independently through the Strava app, running an incredible 7.08 minutes.

Running has always been a strength, with the time the second-fastest ever by Combine participants recording their run through the app (due to lockdown conditions).

She nominated contested footy, kicking on her left (opposite) and backing in her speed and agility as areas she wants to improve.

“I’ve been running in cross country and athletics ever since primary school, just for fun,” Friswell said.

“I love running, I go out for a run, do long distances, so I was pretty happy with the Combine time. But I feel I can get even better.”

1 Like