VFLW - Round 1 vs Saints @ The Hangar, 10:30am Sunday 28 February 2021 - free entry

I’m still waiting for the payment for the men’s report.
As soon as I see that’s been received I’ll put it up straight away.

1 Like

Get your ■■■■ together, VFL(W).

I can see Fark Carlton released their team on their own site earlier today. I’m not sure that anyone else has. The VFL(W) site has had one article put on it in the last four months (announcing the VFL would exist in 2021).

You’re making the AFL look like it has good governance.

2 Likes

Thank you, SportsTG.

Some urine-extracting here: McIntosh at CHB and Heil at HBF. But Barba on the ball :heavy_check_mark:

But no Simone Nalder in the ruck??? In fact, despite it being stated she is playing this year, and being present at training and the practice match last week, she is NOT in our squad list on the EFC site. WTF? @Catherine_Lio ???

Valerie Moreau, the tiny Canadian who played for us in our first year, is a forward pocket for them.

1 Like

And Eloise Gardner at full-back – nine days ago Coburg announced she was playing for them!

OK, I’ve been assured Simone is fine and will be back shortly. Just incompetence by whoever entered the squad list on our site.

Big hit for this game, though.

In searching for info on replacement Taylor Moss, I found this game in which she kicked four goals. Never stop sucking, Bendigo…

Game preview from DraftCentral has no strong opinions. and says little Ugle provides “grunt”.

Essendon vs. Southern Saints
Sunday February 28, 10:30am
The Hangar

Essendon is set to unveil its shiny new facilities at The Hangar on Sunday morning, hosting the Southern Saints in what should be a competitive clash. Gunning for an AFLW license, the Bombers remain standalone but have built a strong list with more continuity than other sides heading into 2021. The Saints have their St Kilda alignment to lean on, but are looking strong in their own right after a solid preseason.

Anchoring Essendon’s side will be skipper Georgia Nanscawen , who is part of a terrific spine in the red and black. Cecilia McIntosh lines up down back, while Courtney Ugle provides some grunt, and Mia-Rae Clifford gets a fresh start up forward. Of the up-and-comers, Eloise Ashley-Cooper and Alana Barba have already performed well in the sash, with a host of young prospects set to filter through Essendon’s lineup as the season progresses.

Tara Bohanna (full back) and Deanna Jolliffe (rover) will lead the Saints out as co-captain Frankie Hocking has not been named. Georgia McLean is one to watch off half-back having crossed from Casey, while Poppy Kelly and Alice Burke are the only St Kilda AFLW players to feature in the lineup – both named on the interchange bench ahead of three emergencies from the senior squad.

The Saints have not put a ceiling on their potential and promise to open the game up with unpredictable ball movement. The Bombers’ continuity as a group and greater poise with such experience could well play a factor in this clash, with both sides backing their cohesion after so long away from competitive action.

1 Like

Sunny, low-20s, light wind*… the season starts in two hours at Tulla.

*both teams will likely be confused. At least we’re used to playing in the dry, unlike the Sandy opposition.

1 Like

Both teams warming up already.

DeMatteooooo (listed as an emergency) is part of the warmup.

5 Likes

Unsurprisingly after last week’s warmup five goals, Clifford is warming up with the forwards.

1 Like

Team out. DeMatteo not amongst them.

@Catherine_Lio’s dog is being unsocial.

2 Likes

A couple hundred in attendance.

1-2-3 Bombers!

2 Likes

We are kicking north. There is no wind of consequence.

Barba in the middle. Marianna Anthony on the near wing.

Barba gets the first disposal.

Saints have some very big girls.

We get a quick break forward and Quigley makes two good tackles. The second tackle forces them to throw it. Bad set shot from pretty close in is only a point.

1-0 we lead.

Nice contested mark by Eloise Gardner in defence.

1 Like