VFLW - round 9 vs Pies at Windy Hill, Saturday 6 July 2019 at 12noon

FFS. Ump blindsided, guesses, is wrong.

Luckily they kick it out on the full.

1 Like

Kirby Hicks stood up under pressure this quarter.

A Svarc run with no one to kick to comes undone. On the rebound they get a mark thirty out.

6-26

I think I’m abandoning ship :frowning:

2 Likes

Huge tackle by Nanscawen. Speared her victim back three metres!

1.0.6 trails 4.2.26 at half time.

0-20 that quarter. Our approach was still good but it opened up a little and Collingwood is top of the ladder for a reason.

Continuing coverage on video stream - see link in about post five

Thanks @theDJR for the coverage so far.

3 Likes

Final score 3.2.20 loses to 6.4.40

We were 8 down with five minutes to go.

Essentially we tied them 20-20 for three quarters, but lost the second quarter 0-20

Very good effort against a usually dominant team.

2 Likes

I left my water bottle in the stand. At the MCG now, and thirsty.

1 Like

Official bests: Nalder, Fogas, Nanscawen, Audley, Hicks, Currenti

Goals to Fogas, Stassi, and Stepnell.

Their best was Lambert, who kicked the margin of three goals (from the midfield?) and will presumably continue to rack up VFLW and AFLW Best and Fairests. She also moved to equal-top VFLW goal scorer today.

Reminder: their previous two games went 79-1 and 83-9…

Stats are up in the VFL app.

Their Jaimee Lambert was the dominant player with 25 disposals and 3 goals. The next two are Nanscawen and Audley on 18 each, after which there is only one player over 13 (for both teams).

We had the top four individual tacklers (Nanscawen and Currenti on 13, and Audley and Malliaris on 10) though the overall total number was similar.

The team stats are very similar, apart from 17-24 for inside fifties.

Two interesting inclusions of “highlights” below, being grossly illegal tackles on us. You’d hope the second one results in a suspension.

Next week we have the bye (but play GWS AFLW at The Hangar).

Then we face Darebin, who are a much dwindled force… they lost 1-79 to Collingwood…

Simone Nalder has rucked one-out for Essendon for almost the entire season so far and is starting to produce some big numbers at stoppages. The 29-year-old had a round-high 40 hitouts in the Bombers’ loss to Collingwood and now ranks equal-first in the VFLW for total hitouts-to-advantage alongside the Western Bulldogs’ Nicole McMahon.

ROUND 9 STATS LEADERS

HITOUTS (40): Simone Nalder (Essendon)

GOALS (3): Jaimee Lambert (Collingwood) and Danielle Ponter (NT Thunder) – BOOOOOOOOOOO x 2

1 Like

Our Maighan Fogas gets VFLW play of the week #5 for her goal.

The problem is their Lambert got #2 with two freak goals…

1 Like