Victorian Infrastructure (bye bye East West link)

All this carry on about how building this new line will create havoc with communters for years. Are the media really that stupid?

First they scream we need new infrustructure, then they throw a tantrum that it will hurt is while it is being built. I wonder how upset these people are when they get renovations done to their house while they are living in it? Imagine having your car serviced and not be able to use it for a few hours? It must cause them heart concerns.

The doofus who reads the C7 news said the disruption could be “months to years”. So which is it?

All this carry on about how building this new line will create havoc with communters for years. Are the media really that stupid?

First they scream we need new infrustructure, then they throw a tantrum that it will hurt is while it is being built. I wonder how upset these people are when they get renovations done to their house while they are living in it? Imagine having your car serviced and not be able to use it for a few hours? It must cause them heart concerns.

There's also the little issue of a no-competition clause with CityLink. Build the airport line and you have to fork out a ■■■■ load of compo to them.

You’re kidding! Which brainiac in Gov signed that?

Kennett when CityLink was built. Think it runs for about 40 years.

I don’t claim to be an engineering expert but DanDanHe’sOurMan said today that the Swanson St Rail Tunnel will be just 10 metres under the road … so just how is it going to go under the Yarra & CityLink Tunnels at the Southern end without a steep steep steep tunnel incline?

There's also the little issue of a no-competition clause with CityLink. Build the airport line and you have to fork out a ■■■■ load of compo to them.

You’re kidding! Which brainiac in Gov signed that?

There’s also the little issue of a no-competition clause with CityLink. Build the airport line and you have to fork out a ■■■■ load of compo to them.

Monorail, Monorail, Monorail

But the Eastern’s still all cracked and broken.

Monorail, Monorail, Monorail

There is a perfectly good bus that goes to the airport.

Goes well in peak hour.

The benefits of an airport line are dubious, unless it goes by a route that would get used regardless. For example, rather than running pure express via the freight line, extend the showgrounds/racecourse line via Highpoint and Keilor East.

People like sexy things, though.

Think you forgot the stop/station that will be required at the TVSC.

With Hirdy winning ALL the flags during his reign over the next decade or so at least, there will be thousands heading out every week for years.

Melbourne Metro tunnel happening

I would rather see them spend millions and millions of dollars on an airport line so I can use it 3-4 times a year. (definitely satire)

Very pro Melbourne Metro. Its the first step to increase the system’s capacity, and a precursor to even considering a rail line to the Airport, Doncaster, Rowville etc etc.

Except of course that a rail line to the Airport will never ever ever happen. A friend of mine works in legal at the Airport. He told me that they make more money from carparking than they do from the entire rest of the operations of the airport (planes, retail etc) combined - by a factor of about 4 to 1.

Basically their business isn’t planes, its carparking and they will lobby the government so hard to ensure that never changes.

The benefits of an airport line are dubious, unless it goes by a route that would get used regardless. For example, rather than running pure express via the freight line, extend the showgrounds/racecourse line via Highpoint and Keilor East.

People like sexy things, though.

I also don’t want it (airport rail), but then again I could walk to the airport from home if I had to so its only from a selfish perspective.

Also a train to the airport would have to utilise existing train lines with an extension to the airport and existing train lines are already at capacity.

An East West tunnel would be great for when I visit my parents in the eastern suburbs so lets build that instead.

Oh and while we are fixing things lets fix the clusterf*%k that is the Bolte Bridge exit, 1 lane from the bridge to the tunnel is ridiculous.

Was in favor of EW link but now that its gone then building a railway link to the airport becomes a priority.

Exactly. Building another farking tunnel? I don’t get it. The airport rail link should be no. 1 priority for any govt, so why do they all sit on their hands when it comes to voting for it? I don’t think I know of one person who doesn’t want it, but once a new govt is formed they do nothing about it.

know many Taxi. Drivers or Car park operators
Was in favor of EW link but now that its gone then building a railway link to the airport becomes a priority.

Exactly. Building another farking tunnel? I don’t get it. The airport rail link should be no. 1 priority for any govt, so why do they all sit on their hands when it comes to voting for it? I don’t think I know of one person who doesn’t want it, but once a new govt is formed they do nothing about it.

I want the tunnel built, and new train lines built, so that all the cars are off the roads that I use and I can drive in peace.

(may or may not be satire)

Also since additional roads cause more congestion, I vote we go back the other way to reduce congestion by filling in the Domain/Burnley tunnels and put extra tram services on Toorak Road instead

(same disclaimer as previous post)

On the political front both sides should hang their heads in shame - Libs for signing when they did and Lab for… well, everything.

Front pages of the papers are a LOL today though (the actual printed papers).

• The Age - “$339m DOWN EAST WEST SINK”
  • The HUN - “$640M FOR NOTHING”

Only a small difference in those numbers. And we wonder why political discourse is so bad.

My concern is the lack of transparency for the numbers. We absolutely should be compensating them for any work they have done. We should not be compensating them for hiring 100 lawyers to maximise their compensation, or for work they rushed out knowing that if Lab got in the project would be cancelled so they wanted to actively maximise their compensation. It’s all one big joke, just a shame it’s for real money.