Vinyl LP's & 45's

Edit: responding to Mendozaaa’s post.

It’s definitely a risk. Many still are mastered with vinyl in mind, and a cutting engineer should be able to change the levels and even song order of a digital recording set for digital playback, to make it sound great on vinyl. But yeah, it’s something to be very wary of.

Would there be any way of telling the difference?

I’d paste this article here but it’s a bit long. Warning it gets a bit techincal as well.

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

All Vinyl gets ‘mastered’ to some degree as it has to meet the technical limitations of vinyl or it simply won’t play or will skip severely. Whether it’s any good or not depends on the listeners ear.

1 Like

Although there’s heaps out there that do this - not all do. It’s rife with reissues (especially classics)…most new records/albums are mastered for both Vinyl and digital mediums.

We use Discogs to a certain degree, most stores do. And popsike is also helpful. I know some stores will price according to the medium discogs price and then add what it would cost to send it to Melbourne. Which is cheeky…

Generally speaking it’s a common sense thing with pricing. Just cos something says it’s worth $80 this week doesn’t mean we can sell it at that price tomorrow. And as socks_and_sandals said…German rates are some of the best in the world. We try to buy our new stock from distributors in Germany.

Hambo, check out Licorice Pie records. I’d consider it to be the best record store in Australia. If you don’t know it it’s on Hight St near Greville. Dave or Joe are very knowledgeable and I go here when I wanna discover something new and interesting. Always ask them for tips…Joe is a legend, does a weekly show on RRR and is a massive bombers fan…(I know he reads bomberblitz too haha).

4 Likes

I used to love going to Licorice Pie before I left Melbourne 14 years back. Glad to hear it’s still great.

I think it would definitely be case by case. I’ve played new records that have sounded flat or cold, and just listened to the digital download on my stereo instead. If you want to buy newly released vinyl or a reissue you can always google it and see if anyone has talked about it in an audiophile forum. I just take the chance it’s gonna be fine and usually it is; I’ve never been disappointed enough to complain or return something.

1 Like

Ok, I have a late 70’s/early 80’s Boston picture disc. Really good condition. Any lovers of US stadium rock, please contact me with reasonable offers…

ps sorry for turning blitz into ebay-lite

Joe’s a Bomber!? He’s gone up even higher in my estimation. I used to love going in and having a chat with him on a Sat morning when I lived a bit closer to it. Licorice Pie is indeed great. Good range of jazz, good little soul/funk section and gems in the 12" single crates. Never bought anything there that couldn’t be deemed as less than what may be Very Good+ condition for a fair price.

1 Like

There will be people here that will buy off you C J assuming they can afford to do so. Put me on the waiting list.

Little tangential to topic but found this at Caloundra (Qld) markets. Crafted out of vinyl and the guy is an Essendon supporter

New photo by David Collins
2 Likes

BUMPETY BUMP BUMP BUMP

So, I’ve recently been trawling thru Discogs.
Not sure why it’s taken me so long.

Found some great bargains at the cost of literally hours of extensive searching.
Time consuming, but fun nonetheless.

Am looking at some modest upgrades to my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.
It’s the Espirit, so it already has the Acrylic Platter.
At some point I’ll have to change my Stylus, and may upgrade from the Ortofon Red to the Blue.

Apart from the above, my main question directed at the Blitz vinyl community and HiFi enthusiasts, is…

Would a (modestly priced) dedicated Phono PreAmp provide benefits ?
I’ve only ever owned Amps/Receivers with built in Phono Stage.
FTR, I currently use an ONKYO Home Theatre Receiver from the early 2000’s…

It was the Flagship at the time and is a deadset beast, but I’m not sure how good the internal Phono preamp is ?
It hardly would have been a priority in a home theatre receiver of that time period !

Whilst I don’t expect Blitzers to be familiar with my exact system.
Mine is more a general question of whether a Phono PreAmp is a reasonable upgrade for the dollars.
I expect some of the regular contributors to this thread with extensive Vinyl collections, are far more familiar with this hardware than I am.

@mrjez
@Zimmer
@swillay
@Tezza_the_King
@davethedon
@crumbs
@Albert_Thurgood
@CyberBomber
@Azza78
@GRR

Before jumping down the Online Forum rabbit hole, I thought I’d throw it open to the regular contributors in this thread ‘pinged’ above.
Feel free to respond if you have anything to add.

It was about time this thread was bumped anyhow :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Also…

@Soulnet
@Captain_Jack
@swoodley

Offer still stands.
No hifi restoration places I call want a bar of me.

My dad used to be a DJ through the 80s,90s and early 2000s. He had a Mobile disco business and was always flat out on weekends. He sold all his gear when he finished but kept all his vinyl. He recently passed away so my mum had all his LPs and was looking to sell them. There was over 1000 Vinyl LPs with with every big record you could think of from the 60s,70,80,90s. I told her I would sell them for her online even if it was one at a time to get the best value for her. A week later she sold them to some record collector who came to her place and sold them to him ( he sounded like a used car salesman to me) with out telling me🤦. The collection would have been worth a small fortune but she won’t tell me what she got for them which tells me she got ripped off.

3 Likes

I have a massive vinyl collection and recently had that conversation with my kids who have a mild interest in vinyl themselves. It’s a hassle dealing with offloading large collections piecemeal especially when online selling usually means postage. With the prohibitive cost of sending parcels interstate or, worse, overseas you find that only truly collectible stuff sells to dedicated collectors - and the lesser stuff gathers dust. I expect much of my collection will end up in a skip- even my silver vinyl Saturday Night Fever double album. :smirk:

3 Likes

Sorry bltn, I’m sitting on a par with you for knowledge about this, running my ProJect Debut Carbon into a modest Denon receiver which does the job wonderfully well, so I’ve never researched this.

Keen to read what other posters might say.

1 Like

I had 1600 records at one point and identified about half I wanted to sell off.

A great way was to pay for a small table at a record fair to get rid of the rarities at a fair price and then accept that more regular stuff was better to just sell off as a bulk to a record store. I even remember posting a for sale list in a music forum at first come first served, and then organised drop offs/pick-ups around town.

I used to do eBay but had some trying experiences with posting, and decided it wasn’t worth it.

4 Likes

Not wedded to vinyl, just got the tail end of it. But like early days with non programmable CD players, you’d listen to a whole album, in order (obvs no need to change sides).

A much superior experience than simply hitting random on Spotify.

I love seeing the retro setups tho. Great work guys!

5 Likes