Violence Against Women

Be warned, this is very distressing. The guy got 5 years, 3 1/2 with parole and could be out in 2 years due to detention already.

Distressing video shows man brutally beating pregnant woman before driving through service station window

And the guy who drove his bus into a bridge got 5 years.

Highly negligent, but an accident. The bus driver, that is.

Another one. The stigma of homelessness seems to dull people’s response to a truly horrendous crime.

1 Like

This story, for some reason (be it the complete injustice of the situation, the failure of society to protect the most vulnerable or something I can’t quite put into words) just makes me feel so empty.

She deserved far better than what life handed her.

3 Likes

53 women have died at the hands of their partner this year.

1 Like

thats a fair number in a well educated and free society.

and by fair i mean awful.

3 Likes

White Ribbon goes belly up and calls in the liquidators. Most of the money donated was being paid to staff and various bonus schemes. Could be interesting story, but I think the media will go fairly soft.

2 Likes

Employee expenses up $1m on last year for same revenue. Looks like a looting.

White%20ribbon%20expenses

2 Likes

Some of the very big charities only allocate a relatively small percentage to the charity purpose.

1 Like

Red Cross policy and practice limits administration to 10% of income. Red Cross also has many off budget volunteers.

2 Likes

Averages out to something like $140,000 per employee.

1 Like

It would be different to charities that distribute money to programs and other charities etc. I think this orgs purpose is awareness, therefore with marketing and other campaigns they should be spending close to all they receive.

However the huge rise in wages in one year is very odd.

1 Like

If a lot of their work was employing people to go out and speak at schools, functions, and provide education then using the charity funds on employees makes sense. The big jump doesn’t.

Yes, but then you would expect to see a line item in their P&L showing

• Awareness campaigns - megabucks.

If they were spending lots on programs they would be boasting about it, the fact it is hidden here suggests they were not spending much.

Could get political as well since Govts have given them money.

2 Likes

A lot of these organisations in not for profit are pure scumbags and throw a ■■■■ tonne of money away. My mother has a friend who has worked for several of these groups, the stories aren’t great. The government really should be cracking down on them.

3 Likes

The government, they too are a part of the problem. Not enough supervision.

1 Like

l give up, who is to supervise the govt?

Obviously, not supervising themselves, as if often the case.

$4m to pay staff for an entire organisation and you’re calling rort?
Really?
12% of that was given to a sports team that doesn’t farking exist.

It’s sad that such a noble cause has gone under. It’s not like there wasn’t a need.

Edit: lol. Just saw this was an old thread bumped because…?

I’ll restrain my yelling at clouds.

So maybe it might be time to mention this Celeste Manno thing?

There have been some pretty disturbing crimes against women in Melbourne in the last few years, but this one is the worst surely.

It’s not a case where she wasn’t safe walking out at night or whatever, it’s a case where she wasn’t safe sleeping in her own bed in her own house at 4am. From a dude who she barely knew and last saw a year prior.

Farking horrible

1 Like