Wally sacked

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-09/bombers-sack-wallis

ESSENDON assistant coach Dean Wallis has been sacked by the club as part of a restructure of the Bombers’ football department.

Wallis was told of his termination at a meeting with club officials on Monday.

The dual premiership player confirmed the news to AFL.com.au and expressed his disappointment at the club’s decision.

“Basically I won’t be re-contracted for the 2014 season and I’m moving onto greener pastures,” Wallis said.

“Anyway, that’s life and that’s what happens.”

"I will probably explore other options outside of football, but I’ll never say never. Twenty-seven years in the industry and probably the way it finished is a little bit disappointing. but that’s the way the club has chosen to go and I respect that."

Former teammate Steven Alessio was charged with delivering the news to Wallis.

“That’s the tough part of this industry, telling people they’re no longer required,” Wallis said.

"I’ve sort of been involved with that with players, and no doubt it would have been a tough job for ‘Ses’, if he was the message man, which he no doubt would have been. I think it would have been tough for him.

"It’s been a tough year all round but my motto is ‘everything happens for a reason’, and the next chapter of the Wally journey begins.
"That’s the exciting part. You don’t look backwards, you look forwards."

It caps off a disappointing year for Wallis, who was implicated in the notorious supplements scandal of 2012, accused of failing to accurately record the substances taken by Bombers players.

Essendon is yet to name a senior coach to take over while James Hird serves his 12-month suspension, and Wallis insists he doesn’t know who will be appointed.

Wallis played 127 games for the Bombers over 14 seasons at the club.

He continued at the club as an assistant coach before moving to Fremantle as an assistant in 2008.

Wallis returned to Essendon as a development coach in 2010 when Hird was appointed senior coach.

In 2011, Wallis was suspended for 14 games and fined $7500 for betting on AFL games.

Wouldn't have wanted the task of delivering the bad news.

Tony Sheahan called it. Again.

I believe the reason was he lied about being a database administrator on his CV.

Wouldn't have taken Nostrodamus to predict it though.

Looking on Seek for a DBA position.

Disappointing finish for Wally, hopefully he can come back to the club in a lesser way in the future. Despite his misgivings I believe there is always room for people like him in a football club, I also think a club owes anyone who has played in two premierships.

:(

Its probably best to part ways for club and Dean.

1/ Database Administrator skills

2/ Its probably best if  he doesn't have an official role with the EFC when we draft his son under father son rule.

Was only slightly surprised, but more than a little bit disappointed when he got brought back.

Might be the greatest bloke in the world, but he always seemed to have F-ups follow him around a bit too much to just be wrong place wrong time.

Similar to Corcoran.

Have to wonder whether either would get a job anywhere else, on merit.

Only about a year or two late. Astounded he was kept around after the gambling thing.

It's more fair than if they had sacked James Byrne, the guy who they bought in to replace him.

Not fair that someone could do something wrong, get suspended, have a great, capable bloke come in and do a good job, then have that guy lose his job when "one of the boys" serves his penance.

o wait

Sport Media: Essendon sack Assistant Coach, continuing the fall-out from the Essendon supplement scandal

What actually happened: Contract not being re-newed

Another victim of the ASADA disaster  :P

also

Where's Wally?

It's more fair than if they had sacked James Byrne, the guy who they bought in to replace him.
Not fair that someone could do something wrong, get suspended, have a great, capable bloke come in and do a good job, then have that guy lose his job when "one of the boys" serves his penance.
o wait

Controversial

He was kept on after the gambling misdemeanor so he can’t complain that the club hasn’t’ looked after him. I wonder if things would be different if he had of kept accurate records.

Maybe there was too much of an old boys club operating at Essendon. A new broom, a fresh start, new location and facilities and a re-invigorated administration may be one positive outcome of this sorry episode

Opens the way for a new development coach; part of the grander plan.

Finnish your spreadsheet and F Off

o wait

At least Hirdy was trying to make the club better, the F was Wallis doing gambling?

Considering the club gifted him 12 of his 14 seasons as a player, it was probably time to stop the Wally charity.