Watters sacked by Saints - throw another dwarf on the barbie

Watters sacked by Saints

Watters is believed to have been told his fate shortly after 11am on Friday morning in a meeting at the club.

He was coach for two seasons but 2013 was a poor season for the club with just five wins and reports of rifts between Watters and both senior players and the club's management.

Former Port Adelaide premiership coach Mark Williams, head of development at Richmond this year, is the strong favourite to be his replacement.

http://www.afl.com.a...acked-by-saints

Wow.

Pathetic club

What a terrible club! 

Weird.

Rabble of a club.

Also very very hypocritical. They were that burnt and butthurt by what freo did to Harvs to get Lyon now they have shafted Watters to what it looks like get Chocco

What is wrong with sacking a spud during the off season?

I don’t understand why you’d buy into a someone’s plan for 2012, 2013, the 2014 trading period and then sack him just prior to the draft for 2014.

Doesn’t make any sense.

Was just on SEN this morning setting a few things straight, or attempting to. Wow.

In an article in the Age yesterday it was apparently flagged that the Saints would part company with Watters soon.

Stay away from our coaches thanks!!!

I don't understand why you'd buy into a someone's plan for 2012, 2013, the 2014 trading period and then sack him just prior to the draft for 2014.
Doesn't make any sense.

I can see 3 possibilities.

1) He lost an internal power struggle -  Hi Pelchen and Saint Nick

2) He made changes to the plan you had agreed on which were unacceptable

3) You suddenly realised he was a douche and should really have been set alight mad monday.

I don't understand why you'd buy into a someone's plan for 2012, 2013, the 2014 trading period and then sack him just prior to the draft for 2014.
Doesn't make any sense.

3) You suddenly realised he was a ****** and should really have been set alight mad monday.

Or all three.

Definitely has a stench of the players having far too much power within the club.

Surely the Saints are in as big a mess as Melbourne were/are and require the AFL to intervene.

Timing of the sacking is absolutely ridiculous, wait until all the other clubs searching for a new coach have been able to pick over and select who they believe to be the best canditates. Engaged in free agency/trade period with a particular coach with a particular focus in mind, then sack him a couple weeks out from the draft.

Clear there were problems with Watters months ago but the Board didn't have the balls to make a decision on way (sack him) or give him their full support (extend his contract) at that time. Ongoing leaks about player disatisfaction with him, much loved key players being shipped out of the club and other big name, clearly loved players shopped around on the market and clearly poor working relationship between Watters and Pelchen and the Board's decision to back Pelchen pretty much made Watters position unteanble.

However, they should have bitten the bullet months ago instead of letting this drag on and on and thrash their already pretty ***** brand even further.

The Saints were rushed into appointing a coach after Lyon jumped ship without notice, so I reckon it was on the cards from the moment he was given the job.  The timing is the surprising factor.

How many coaches has the likes of Riewoldt seen in his time at St. Kilda?  Must be some kind of a record for a one club player.

Doesn't make any sense.

3) You suddenly realised he was a ****** and should really have been set alight mad monday.

It's 3 that has me scratching my head.
1 seems likely, perhaps he lost his support base with Laidley and his fitness guy leaving.
I mean, maybe they just came to the conclusion that he's not the coach/leader they thought he was, but were okay with the impossible list management they lumped him with.

Meh

Doesn't make any sense.

It's 3 that has me scratching my head.
1 seems likely, perhaps he lost his support base with Laidley and his fitness guy leaving.
I mean, maybe they just came to the conclusion that he's not the coach/leader they thought he was, but were okay with the impossible list management they lumped him with.

It's St Kilda wim.

This club will never again win a flag.

Wow who was expecting that?

There turning into Melbourne

I feel sorry for their fans