Waving Scarves Initiative

Like everyone else it seems I just hate manufactured ‘atmosphere’.

When it happens organically it’s a thing of beauty… ie jacket waving.

4 Likes

I like the kiss cam. Shoot me (or kiss me, I guess)

Well put Darli

I agree with all that has been said. On the flip side though, a lot of the kids love that stuff.

You’ve never been to New Year’s Eve I take it?

Agree with mosts comments here. Don’t mind them pushing the scarf waving after a win, but not during breaks.

On the kiss cam, I find this a little disturbing. I’ve seen ones where they stay on a “couple” who won’t kiss, trying to cajole them into doing it. Or in my words, bully and peer pressure them into it. Yeah, what a good image for a club that is pushing for diversity and equal rights to have a system that bullies people to act heterosexually for the crowd, even if they don’t want to…

3 Likes

It’s a joke.

we’re not there to be the entertainment for other fans. we’re there to watch.

stop this yank bullshit.
@Catherine_Lio @Paul_Cousins is this an afl directive that we have to be so manufactured in creating an atmosphere?

5 Likes

scarf waving at any time when its manufactured is cringey as ■■■■. kiss cam is the worst new introduction to the footy since the powers that be deciding that playing “good time” 50 times over at half time was a pleasant experience

2 Likes

Some of the things said above are absolutely valid and the club is aware.

In terms of stopping this ‘yank’ stuff, sometimes people like things that others don’t. I’m not a fan of Kisscam at all - but the people involved at games seem to get a giggle out of it.

If we never tried new things we wouldn’t have some of the games/traditions we know & love as a club. Not everything will work, and not everything is going to be loved 100%.

Except flash mobs. Everyone loves flash mobs.

8 Likes

I hate to get too technical here, but if you want to amp up the crowd, could you maybe just show clips of Essendon smashing whoever our opposition happens to be that week throughout history?

Jimmy’s goal against West Coast, Carlisle’s (too soon?) goal against Freo, Long’s goal against Carlton (heh heh heh, and Lonergan’s tackle…and Wallis’s bump…and that idiot celebating a point)…
The '84 prelim against Collingwood…

Seriously, it’s not rocket surgery…

8 Likes

I missed the lead up - did we not show Lloyd clips as the weeks comeback hero?

Seems like a missed opportunity…

Also, the audio on video at Etihad leaves a bit to be desired IMO.

Oh, I’d be happy with the visual.

1 Like

It’s even simpler. Just Tippa highlights.

7 Likes

1.Get a decent air raid siren and crank it loud before the game, the current one sounds like a dying cat.

2.Kids come down the aisles at the end of the game to see the players and maybe get a free footy from one of their heroes, would be nice to see our boys get around the ground a bit more instead of just the cheer squad area.

3 Likes

Here’s one we prepared earlier

2 Likes

Yeah so that on a 17 second loop

2 Likes

A proper PTSD inducing one.

6 Likes

I confess, I stayed home.
Bad Wim.

But out of interest, did it have him smashing Cornes?

I hope both part 1 & 2 of these were on the big screen.

No.

It was the same video that went up on the website during the week.

And maybe half the eventual crowd were in their seats by then.