We are soft

I saw our biggest man, TBell pull out of a front on contest, when he should have run through a small Collingwood player, who TBell just let get the ball. I was shocked tbh.

1 Like

Inconsistency is a sign of mental weakness. Good players don’t pick or choose when to turn up it just happens. Sure you will get a down time every now and then or your opponent is just better on the day but the gap between their best and worst is nothing like our players. Everyone including me has a crack at Norf but atleast their supporters know what they are going to get most weeks and they are hardly ever blown out of the water. Their players have a crack and atleast fight it out.
We are physically soft aswell. How many tackles do we stick either through strength or poor technique yet when we have the ball how many of our players can bust a tackle?

10 Likes

We have the biggest bunch of mentally soft senior players I have ever seen.

They pick and choose the games where they put the effort. When things go bad they fall apart.

You can see the difference when a young kid comes in, in terms of attitude compared to senior players.

The players involved in the saga seem to have a whole woe is me attitude, like they are doing us a favour by playing for this club. The club seems scared to actually upset them. So they go with the cuddle approach

The same senior players are still inconsistent, and all we hear is “we will back in our boys”. Things will never change if the people in charge don’t have the stones to change

6 Likes

We all know the issues Francis has had off the field but how good does it feel watching him run back with the flight of the ball willing to take what ever is coming his way, I really hope he can come into the senior team soon just for his courage.

Also in the VFL game Mutch laid a tackle with the magpie player running straight at him, sad thing is only a few of the players in the senior side would of been able to lay such a tackle, others opting out.

I was also a bit surprised to hear Woosh saying we had so many players whose best is in front of them.
Trouble is you say tomorrow , tomorrow, and very soon your best is in the past and it wasn’t ever that good.
Seize the farkin moment. Thats what defines you, not some mamby pamby about things will be better at some time in the future.

3 Likes

We 100% need more players with white line fever. Hurley used to have it.

2 Likes

That was the point I decided I’d be leaving a game early for the first time.

1 Like

We sometimes, play to lose. Our mentality is shot before we even get out there.
We need to harden the hell up. Our skills run hot and cold and we are undisciplined.
We do not play team and we are lacking team spirit.

I had a friend, he is dead now, who was a Samurai, trained in Martial Arts in Japan, Raoul Kent. He did each move a million times until it was indoctrinated and automatic in his body. He was so disciplined he could almost make himself invisible in a room so he wouldn’t be noticed. Strong and disciplined and yet, he was a gentle man with spirit.

Good point. Hurls use to be an animal on the field, now he is just another player. This whole trying to turn him into a attacking defender has really hurt him

3 Likes

His first AA year he was an absolute beast, he was elite 1 on 1.

1 Like

There are exceptions.

Smith is not soft. Tippa is not soft
I noticed Collingwood were targeting Tippa. Whenever they got a chance 2 would jump on top of him and ride him into the ground. Several times they came up behind him behind play and gave him a clip. Tippa is tough, and maybe had dished out some physicality earlier in the game. If theres one player who does it’s him, just about the smallest guy on our team.

2 Likes

if we didnt have numbnut joe trying to take a screamer every time and instead bring the ball to ground maybe we would get a few more crumbing goals.

thought we missed green and raz up forward.

2 Likes

Agree on Hurley. He’s our most competitive beast yet he plays on no one.
Put him on someone and let him compete and set the example. We are draining his competitive spirit out of him.

Richmond absolutely used the cattle they had. Yes, they changed the edges of their best 22, but it was around a very consistent core of players, and most of those changes came from players already on their list.

At the end of 2016 they made the fewest list changes (7) of anyone in the league. They delisted/retired 5 players (McKenzie, Moore, McBean, Marcon, Chaplin), four of those players played a combined 12 games for them, so one retirement and dumping some duds. The only teams who delisted/retired fewer players were gws (2) and the bulldogs (4).

18 of their GF team were already on the list in 2016, and the only one who didn’t play seniors in 2016 was Butler. 14 of their GF team played in round 1 of 2016. Of The remaining 8 players from that round 1 2016 team, the players who played double digit games in 2016 were Griffiths, Hampson, Vickery, Miles, and Corey Ellis. Vickery left. Hampson and Griffiths were best 22 players who missed 2017 injured. The tigers definitely relegated Miles and Hunt. Morris missed the back half of 2016 with a knee injury and was repeatedly injured in 2017 so it’s unclear whether they wanted to play him or not.

14 core players, 3 trade ins, 2 injury covers. That’s 19 of their 22 that they intended to play at the end of 2016.

I don’t think any player in the AFL are physically weak. To put their body through the rigours of training / game day is immense, with post career physical issues evidence of the impact the game has on their body.

But if you’re talking about things like 2 way running, blocking, desperation, effort … well, that’s a seperate issue more in line with mental toughness and coaching. Seriously, that coaches like B Scott and Dew have their young teams doing the above says heaps about how those teams are coached / prepared.

Under Hird the team were developing a tough side to their game and ready to launch. Winning interstate games were testament to that.

Can’t believe people are bagging Hurl’s, one of the hardest working players in the team. Clearly, his best involves intercept marks and setting up play. Yes, it would be good if he could do it all but what he does is great!

2 Likes

We need a Sheedy marshmallow moment.

1 Like

we just look really ordinary at the fall of the ball.

opposition seems to get more numbers to contest and much more organised.

i dont know what it is but I think I would seriously look at changing our line coaches.

i think woosha is probably ok as head coach.

1 Like

Anybody else think that we invest in our assistant coaches development to the detriment of the team?

Every year our coaches change the area that they coach…why? Surely some consistency of message to the players would be of benefit. We play like we don’t know what we are supposed to be doing, I am 100% sure this is the reason.

1000 Likes for me please!

3 Likes

Players like Bellcho, Myers and Zaharakis are the epitome of soft inconsistent football.

Even Hirdy gave a parting shot to Zacka in his “retirement” presser.

“I wish you went in a little harder” - Club legend James Hird.

I’m glad the fan base is starting to get stuck into the club and not just blindly accept mediocrity. It’s been good to notice it here, social media and at the games.

7 Likes

Every team has a Zaharakis.