We flogged the floggy flogs (and Hawthorn too) - review thread

Lang, McGrath, Parish, Begs, Clarke… all the same age and playing together, often through the middle.

Lot to be said for that

7 Likes

Zerrett only 23, and Guelfi 21 also

Redman 21

The way the umpires see Stratton

The way everyone else see him

15 Likes

I never blame umpires for losing a game, the shaking post was close, bit there are always plenty of other reasons why you lose. But we can still highlight the terrible umpiring crisis the game is afflicted with. I’m not even going to go down the old tired road of “they hate Essendon”
It’s just mind numbing and it happens in every game to every team, every week. #sackgil

As said Merrett and add McGrath, we are finally on the verge I believe of a football dynasty. I truly believe this. Sadly we might have to wait another season, but it is finally believable now. You can see it coming

There’s a lot I question about Worsfold, but he’s 100% correct about that ■■■■ Tom Browne. An outright cumstain on the underpants of life.
John is barely able to conceal his disdain for the botoxed b astard…

5 Likes

Incidentally, there seems to have been little written about Ambrose’s game. On the way in, our car all agreed that whoever was on Gunston (we concluded Ambrose or Hurley to be most likely) would go a long way toward to determining our fortune.
That was one of the most ineffectual Gunston games I can remember. Other than one arsey leg-break for a goal I barely sighted him.
Kudos to Ambrose for this night (in fact, for most of his work this year…)

10 Likes

Agreed, although I’d say we’ve still got a way to go. What really frustrates me with the kicking is two elements.

Firstly
Why do our players get worse in the senior team? Look at the number of incisive kicks Zac was doing in 2016 vs 2019. Redman when he came into the side was doing cutting kicks; I’m not sure if I saw one yesterday. McKenna’s kicking now vs 2017 or 2018. Begley wasn’t trying to hit Belly who is 1 vs 3 in the corridor when he started. Francis at the end of 2018 vs 2019. Hell, I remember Zaharakis being miles better 5 years or so ago.

Why do they digress? It’s like when they get into the senior team our coaches break them of good kicking. Clarkson would cherish them and build around them.

Secondly
Why do opposition teams know our game plan better than us? How many times did we kick long up the line, or to the wing from D50, and Hawthorn had multiple talls and we didn’t? This is either players not doing the game plan, or not obeying it. But it’s simple damn footy.

And then when it doesn’t work our players can’t adapt. As I said before, we were dominating the clearances. So can’t breach the Hawthorn defensive set up 65m from goal? Put it into touch 60m then. But no, keep trying this same rubbish.

1 Like

“Things that happen within the rules are outside the rules”

???
Has he been chatting to Malthouse during the week?

1 Like

Teehee. Just messing.

1 Like

Wow…how good is Redman. Tough as nails and a magnificent kick. Doesn’t lose a contest.

Saad, Mckenna and Redman…all can be all Australians at some stage of their career.

12 Likes

Sometimes it’s good defensive setup. Trap a team on one side of the ground. Take away easy options and most teams will go long down the line when under pressure. Make sure your talls are waiting.

Zerrett, Shiel, Parish, McGrath, Langford, Heppell and Clarke as a collective is a better midfield group than 2000.

Clarke has added another layer that our midfield never had. I understand that he has done it for only two games, and there is always the risk of him being dropped (for Myers)…but I am confident that Clarke will be a good player for a long long time.

If we can get out game plan into place…we can dispose of teams like Freo, Carlton and Hawthorn by 50-60 points.

As of today? This is such a ridiculous statement. This midfield group have struggled to win multiple games in a row, let alone multiple finals.

If you mean they could develop into a better midfield group, then sure, it’s possible. There would need to be some sharp improvement.

8 Likes

This is still true tho.

1 Like

Lid off thread for you my friend.

4 Likes

We used to have a poster on here, B.D. Stratton, aka Brenda. Any relation to little-prick Stratton, the Whoreborn pinch king ?

1 Like

I haven’t seen her post since about the time Chappy left…

1 Like

Punishment for Stratton should be to remove a finger. If he does it again you keep taking them off. Before long he will likely end up like this.

3 Likes