We flogged the floggy flogs (and Hawthorn too) - review thread

Agree with most of this, ecept for the part about pretend. They were genuinely tough, but they were part of a long line of Dawk thug/mug players. A pity really as they were good enough not to have to resort to such tactics. Different era provisos apply.

1 Like

Yeh that’s fair enough, they were hard at the footy but you will find it hard to find a time where Matthews ever wacked a bloke without them having their back turned

3 Likes

I could only watch on TV as we were away for the weekend. When the game finished I was very happy to win, but very disappointed with how we let Hawthorn back in several times when we had them down on the floor with our foot on the throat. Including in the last quarter.

After a day and a half, I’m still annoyed about that, and also about the inability of some of our forwards to kick a set shot (J Laverde, that includes you at the top of the list); but I’m more positive. We’re a team in development. I wish we hadn’t had that crap from the club before the season started about being premiership contenders because we weren’t then and we’re not now. We’ve got some great players in our team, but some gaping holes and some players who show potential but are far from having arrived.

The one thing we do have that I don’t think any other team has to the same extent is speed. McKenna and Saad are well known racehorses, and they both have many more attributes than only speed. Parish and Shiel are lightning around the packs and McGrath is not far behind — although I think he still has more to offer than we’ve seen so far. And then in the forward line we’ve got Fanta (when fit) and Tippa, who doesn’t actually have that much straight line pace but his first movements are lightning quick and he’s got strength.

The players who are still developing include Laverde, who’s getting more of the ball but not making much of an impact; Begley, who has everything needed to be a star but is not getting many touches yet; Langford, who is already pretty good but could be much better; and Guelfi, who is getting better with every game he plays.

Gaping holes. Consistency, for a start. We go missing for periods during games, and top teams don’t do that. Key forwards. Mitch Brown is adequate but not a star; McKernan is hit and miss; Daniher is not available. A big-bodied, tough and talented midfielder.

It was good to beat Hawthorn. I can’t see us beating West Coast in Perth; but I can hope.

4 Likes

Two weeks ago we ended Bolton’s career when we broke the Blooos. This week Clarko talks his team and tis game up big time. Cut throat, last man standing and all that, in a cheap attempt to get his players fired up. Ask Ben Stratton how effective that tactic worked.

Instead we got another turning point in the storied history of our competition with the Dawks. We have done similar things to them in the past, just as they have done to us. It began with the 3 flag games in the 1980’s. Then we completely knocked them out of the running in 1990, when they were reigning premiers. They never recovered their balance from the mauling we gave them that day.

They will point to the Line in the Sand game, led by Vanturdberger, the worst captain in AFL history, and one of the worst players on their list at the time. That s how desperate they were to become relevant again. Look at their antics that day, google Campbell Brown, hopeless and a sniper, actually a hopeless sniper, l laughed at his tears.
Enter Clarko and a raft of # 1, draft picks and many an astute trade and they then become the dominant team of this century, while we struggle with the end of the Seedy era debacle, Knighs and the saga.

Friday night l believe saw another shift in the ongoing history of these rivals. We are still building, Dawks are slidig. It looks like it will be a long, slow slide.

8 Likes

Apparently he can pinch hit as a small defender.

25 Likes

Apparently he did it to Charlie Cameron last week too and he had bruises, they were talking about it on the footy rub.

Stratton’s a serial offender, we complained to umpires about it at half time but they said they didnt see anything.

Carey also said that the hawks list is poo and Carlton currently have a better list and closer to a premiership, and will be hard to attract players without lure of success.

Maybe he thought you were screaming Boooooourns and he was not a fan of the decrepit billionaire Monty?

1 Like

Adam Saad v Hawthorn

36 Likes

What the hell was it with the umps paying marks to kicks that went like 8m

Just re watching the game, for a dirty player Stratton sure squibs quite a few contests

2 Likes
5 Likes

I haven’t done anything

6 Likes

Redman is legit class. His composure under pressure is just amazing for a guy as inexperienced as he is.

I would have no issue with him taking the kickouts

11 Likes

Kickouts should only ever be him, Saad or Conor.

1 Like
6 Likes

For most Hawthorn fans, Platform 14 at Southern Cross is the western edge of the earth.

5 Likes

I think we tried to control the ball and play low risk tempo footy when we had a strong lead. Right idea. Problem was our skills weren’t good enough to beat the Hawthorn pressure and we started turning it over. Hawthorn had to play reckless attacking football when they got their hands on it, which was hard to defend. We didn’t counterattack aggressively when Hawthorn stuffed up, so didn’t take advantage of the gaps their aggression created. Our lack of attack meant they were bound to narrow the gap. Add the umpires into the equation it’s easy to see why we lost our lead.

Long story short, don’t take the foot off the gas as we aren’t good enough to keep control of the ball.

7 Likes

Looking at the TBC / Puoplol exchange, it looks like Poppy instigated the exchange wit a flea bit sized kidney punch. Couldn’t have been too much force involved as Tommy was not phased by it, and didn’t even react, perhaps he didn’t even feel it. TBC handled him with complete contempt, patronizing. No wonder Tom was laughing at him.

2 Likes

I laugh every time someone kicks to the opponent of either Saad or Hooker (if he’s not let his man run 100m from goal). Guaranteed fail.

Shiel’s two-armed celebration of Saad’s spoil is gold.

14 Likes

Mate they don’t even know what it is. Or where we are for that matter.

Stratton needs a suspension to help him get himself sorted. That’s a very dangerous deliberate act to do. What is McKernan got injured as a result of that?

yep - the dirty pincher needs a break

5 Likes