We flogged the floggy flogs (and Hawthorn too) - review thread

There wasn’t a fair bump in that entire clip…not even under 1980s rules.

8 Likes

Most of that clip involved him punching blokes in the head with their back turned, proper dog!! Would be charged with assault in this day and age

2 Likes

That clip clerly validates the hit on Bruns as l remember it, the one which ulitmately led to him being charged and de-registed as a player, since the chumps missed it, and didn’t report him, therefore the tribunal couldn’t suspend him. He hit Bruns from behind, as he did so many others.

1 Like

The mystery being why the cops singled out that particular assault to lay a criminal charge.

It amazes me that Matthews can comment on various hits and incidents in the modern game all high and mighty. The fact he does it with a straight face is laughable. He was a thug and took dirty cheap shots all the time. He was a fantastic player, but in my mind will never be the greatest because of stuff like that shown in the video. Champions have class, he had none.

8 Likes

Much to the chagrin of the commentariat Matthews never won a Brownlow. But back in those days, dirty players didn’t win the Brownlow.

That changed in the '80s with thugs like Dipierdedrongo and Williams getting it.

4 Likes

Difference being that Merrett does not drop the knees and raise the arm contributing to the contact… Some of the head knocks he’s copped this season have been agricultural to say the least, and many of them gone unrewarded. He’s a tough little bugger.

Bruns was knocked out, maybe received a broken jaw. There was a huge public outcry over a classic piece of thuggery. The cops were interested/called in because the tribunal couldn’t touch him under the pwers they then held.

2 Likes

It was also 50 metres off the ball. Totally unprovoked. And Bruns did have his jaw broken.
I happened to actually see it - only because it was in line with the play down the far end.

Still the worst act of premeditated violence I’ve seen at AFL level.

3 Likes

From recollection, Bruns’ broken jaw was a bad one and his family were furious. He also may have been a teenager at the time. Geelong and Bruns’ family may have elevated it to the police?

Lethal got off on appeal anyway. The worst thing is that he has shunned Bruns ever since. Refuses to have any contact with him (unless that has changed). Not owning your actions is juvenile & in this case cowardly.

2 Likes

Got a lot of the Ablett jnr about him.

1 Like

I didn’t grow up in the era of watching Matthew’s so I never realised what a thug he was. Most of that is pretty disgusting and not too far removed from king hits.

Fkn grub.

1 Like

Just watched the reply. Putrid game between two middle of the rung teams. Disposal and goal kicking terrible by both teams. Need to get much better in those two areas, in particular, if we are to make a serious push for the 8.

so many late fists/forearms to the jaws of people not looking. quintessential coward punches.
what a farking dog.

4 Likes

Lethal has a mantra, “No eplanations, no excuses.” At least the is consistent on that score. What can’t be so easily explained is how many Brownlow votes he picked up over the length of his career, there were lots of them.

Bruns was a deadset sniping thug too and I had no sympathy for him.

One of the many who knocked out Daisy Williams.

Did you think Ron Andrews was tough? Duckworth, how about Kevin Sheedy?

Is that you stratts?? Upto much over the next fortnight with your time off?

No mate. I’m just able to appreciate that players of a different era can be very tough and also dirty. But let’s leave it at that.

1 Like