We saw him first!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-16/irishman-in-demand

CLUBS are lining up to interview Irish prospect Conor McKenna after his starring role for the European Legion last week in London.

The 18-year-old was almost best on ground in the Legion's combined game with the AIS-AFL Academy, in which he kicked four goals and showed his speed and run.

It was his first ever game of Australian football and his talents didn't go unnoticed, with up to six clubs believed to have interviewed him in recent weeks.

He was first identified at December's talent combine in Ireland, where Essendon sent a scout to take in proceedings.

The Bombers have continued to speak with the 178cm player and monitor his progress, and the young Gaelic player from Tyrone said he had also spoken with a number of other clubs.

"Geelong, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs and West Coast have all been talking to me in the last week," McKenna told AFL.com.au.

"It was strange at the start but all clubs are asking the same questions about my family and background, what I think of the experience, and whether I want to go to Australia.

"I do definitely want to come over.

"It'd be an unbelievable experience if I get a chance to go. It's a good thing I suppose that there's clubs talking – you're a better chance to get over."

Tour diary: part one
Tour diary: part two

Things are moving fast for McKenna, who finishes his education in Ireland in the next few weeks.

He had only one session with the Sherrin before his week with the European Legion, where in two games with and against the Academy he had a chance to showcase his skills and see the opportunities an AFL career could present him.

"I found it harder during the training sessions because you overthink too much, but when you're out on the pitch you just do things you can and it works," he said.

"I like running with the ball in hand rather than waiting for it."

Coached by Sydney Swans premiership player Tadhg Kennelly, McKenna has quizzed the Irishman about his own experiences in moving to Australia, and feels more confident for the chat.

"He said his first two years were horrible and he just wanted to go home but he stuck at it and he's one of the top players in the AFL," McKenna said.

"I just hope to do the same and go over and have a good season."

Port Adelaide's Irish recruit Daniel Flynn also played for the Legion last week and appears likely to resume his AFL career with the Power after returning home in March.

Flynn has also told McKenna of the challenges that come with the move, but he isn't perturbed.

"It's still something I want to do. Worst comes to worst, you go over for two years and come home, but you can go and love it for the rest of your life," he said.

Twitter: @AFL_CalTwomey

Quinn mk II or the new Pearce Hanley?

"Almost best on ground"?

Quinn was an underrated ruckman

Will never forget that goal Quinn missed from the goal line vs Adelaide in the elimination final in 09.

Is he a rookie B list prospect or main list through the national draft?

Daniel Flynn played two NAB Cup Games for Power. He looks a VERY likely prospect. A tall defender type with good speed, hardness and decent skills.

Daniel Flynn played two NAB Cup Games for Power. He looks a VERY likely prospect. A tall defender type with good speed, hardness and decent skills.

Didn't he go back to Ireland for family/personal reasons? Apparently is keen to get back now.

Nah

i liked quinn. 

oh, this isn't the bad call thread? 

"Almost best on ground"?

His side got beaten by 12 goals plus.  If he was really 'almost' best on ground against the best 18yos in Australia in that sort of game, then it's a pretty big feather in his cap to be honest.

"Once bitten, twice shy" is the recourse of the knee-jerkers and weak-willed. Quinn didn't work out. This guy might. He needs to be assessed on his own merits. Add in our draft penalties and it is certainly worth looking at any opportunity for new talent.

Yep, all it costs for an international rookie is money. I'm all for it if they reckon there's a chance he can work out, pretty sure it's a B list spot.

He'd be a rookie B prospect.

You'd never take them via the main draft for the simple reason that you can pre-sign them 12-18 months ahead of time if you really want to via the rookie system or you can play guessing games with the other teams chasing him and hope you don't get pipped via the draft. Besides this was the first off-season since 2011 that a club hasn't lost an Irish recruit over the Christmas break, so I can't see many clubs eager to risk a ND pick on them.

He'd be a rookie B prospect.

You'd never take them via the main draft for the simple reason that you can pre-sign them 12-18 months ahead of time if you really want to via the rookie system or you can play guessing games with the other teams chasing him and hope you don't get pipped via the draft. Besides this was the first off-season since 2011 that a club hasn't lost an Irish recruit over the Christmas break, so I can't see many clubs eager to risk a ND pick on them.

Interesting, thanks Dunlop.

I wonder how keen we are on him then? would be nice to have a Pearce Hanley of our own! :P

I reckon Quinn cop way to much stick on here. We’ve drafted guys who have grown up playing the game that Quinn would run rings around.

He won a Vfl b+f if be happy with that

Quinn was (and still is it seems) a soft target.  Did he turn out to be a good player?  Nope, not at all - but he played more games for my club than I ever did, and he gave every impression of trying his guts out every time he donned the sash.

Better to have tried and not been good enough, than to have squandered your talents... cough...Garlett...cough... Lovett... cough... Fevola... cough... Mitch Thorp etc. etc. etc. 

Quinn was (and still is it seems) a soft target.  Did he turn out to be a good player?  Nope, not at all - but he played more games for my club than I ever did, and he gave every impression of trying his guts out every time he donned the sash.

Better to have tried and not been good enough, than to have squandered your talents... cough...Garlett...cough... Lovett... cough... Fevola... cough... Mitch Thorp etc. etc. etc. 

Wouldnt put Fev in the same categories as those others.
He was a gun. Lost a couple of potential years but hardly squandered.

Didn't he go back to Ireland for family/personal reasons? Apparently is keen to get back now.

I believe so. He is a decent prospect.

And we need tall defenders before anything else because?

And we need tall defenders before anything else because?
Because we've got a 42 year old in the side, and our only options in reserve are broken undersized bloke, a slow undersized bloke and a stick insect?
Why do people want us to build a Carlton list?