Weight loss

Weightloss update

After what I call a rough patch (A friend’s child’s birthday, Chinese New Year and Shrove Tuesday at work) I still managed to lose 7kg in 3 and a half weeks and my waistline has shrunk another 0.5cms (now 106.5). After the rough patch I still burnt 1kg

I’m still not doing overly exertive exercises just staying on my feet and getting an average of 11,000 steps during the working week. Using my fitbit to monitor my eating plan, I’ve been allowed 2000 calories to get to my weight goal by June (wether or not I get there at that time is yet to be seen) and yesterday I ate about 1400cal. (2x shakes and chicken wrap with small serve of chips.

I reckon if you’re a normal average Australian your problem will be as much about portion size than what you’re eating.
Check the guidelines for how much meat and how much carbohydrates you should be having daily (on average). Often we’re way, way out.

I myself have done the ‘IBD flare-up into reaction-to-prescribed-drug-fuelled-bout-of-chronic-anxiety’ diet and lost about 12kg over the past 2 months. Really really really hating my body.

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know how Weight Watchers works? There's one I walk past most days at lunchtime and there is always a group of about a dozen women sitting around in a circle. What do they actually do?

Apart from the fact that I’ve never seen a single male in there, the other thing I’ve noticed is that none of the women seem to be very much overweight. I can’t recall seeing anyone that I would call obese (unlike the lifts in my building, where I would genuinely estimate that one in every three or four women who get in is definitely obese, and at least another one is noticeably overweight), and they mostly look like average sized women.

Anyway, do they do motivational talks, or prescribe diets, or sell prepared meals like Light and Easy, or what?

It’s pretty much just a simplified version of calorie counting.
You get X “points” per day you have to stick to, a steak is worth Y points and a piece of broccoli is worth Z points, and so on. As you lose weight, your allocation of points per day decreases.

Mrs AP mostly used that pre-wedding and lost about 15kg (ish) over about 11 months. It worked for her because she was still able to have some bad stuff - it just counts for big points so you naturally have to plan for it.

There’s a book and/or app. No idea what the meetings are for, really.

Mrs bonzo has gestational diabetes. We freaked out at first. We cut all high GI foods out of her diet…brown rice instead of white…wholemeal breads etc. Her sugar levels are almost perfect now. If it gets a little high all she needs is a walk around the joint and it drops down again.

I’m a skinny ■■■■■■■ so ive never had to worry too much, although middle age has caught me and the spread was happening. Its taught me a lot and I must admit has me fascinated ( the diabetes not the spread)
Got the whole family on the same foods as her and I , for one, are feeling much better for it.

Weightloss update

After what I call a rough patch (A friend’s child’s birthday, Chinese New Year and Shrove Tuesday at work) I still managed to lose 7kg in 3 and a half weeks and my waistline has shrunk another 0.5cms (now 106.5). After the rough patch I still burnt 1kg

I’m still not doing overly exertive exercises just staying on my feet and getting an average of 11,000 steps during the working week. Using my fitbit to monitor my eating plan, I’ve been allowed 2000 calories to get to my weight goal by June (wether or not I get there at that time is yet to be seen) and yesterday I ate about 1400cal. (2x shakes and chicken wrap with small serve of chips.

I reckon if you’re a normal average Australian your problem will be as much about portion size than what you’re eating.
Check the guidelines for how much meat and how much carbohydrates you should be having daily (on average). Often we’re way, way out.

I myself have done the ‘IBD flare-up into reaction-to-prescribed-drug-fuelled-bout-of-chronic-anxiety’ diet and lost about 12kg over the past 2 months. Really really really hating my body.

I’ve been that diet lot’s, very effective! Often too effective!
Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know how Weight Watchers works? There's one I walk past most days at lunchtime and there is always a group of about a dozen women sitting around in a circle. What do they actually do?

Apart from the fact that I’ve never seen a single male in there, the other thing I’ve noticed is that none of the women seem to be very much overweight. I can’t recall seeing anyone that I would call obese (unlike the lifts in my building, where I would genuinely estimate that one in every three or four women who get in is definitely obese, and at least another one is noticeably overweight), and they mostly look like average sized women.

Anyway, do they do motivational talks, or prescribe diets, or sell prepared meals like Light and Easy, or what?

It’s pretty much just a simplified version of calorie counting.
You get X “points” per day you have to stick to, a steak is worth Y points and a piece of broccoli is worth Z points, and so on. As you lose weight, your allocation of points per day decreases.

Mrs AP mostly used that pre-wedding and lost about 15kg (ish) over about 11 months. It worked for her because she was still able to have some bad stuff - it just counts for big points so you naturally have to plan for it.

There’s a book and/or app. No idea what the meetings are for, really.

Motivation and moral support.

Went away to Dubai for five days with my wife. We booked in all you can eat and drink (Alcohol) restaurants for each night. Ate to my hearts content and can't remember how much I drank...thought I was going to burst each night. After the trip the next morning I was too scared to weigh myself after a heavy five days....lo and behold I forced myself to take the plunge and get on the scales and suffer the consequences so I can get back on track. Unbelievable....lost over 1/2 kg. I put it down to the fact that each night I started with heaps of sushi followed by whiskey and coke and sashimi followed by whiskey and coke then some grilled fish followed by whiskey and coke and then more whiskey and coke and so on....Had no bread or sweets until only a small amount on the last day and very very small amount of rice with one of the many pot dishes followed by whiskey and coke. On the last day had to be helped by my wife to walk back to the hotel. Didn't (couldn't) have any breakfast nor lunch so dinners were the only meals and was careful not to have too many carbs. As the week wore on I was using less coke in the whiskey too. To sum it up had a great five days away and it didn't cost me any weight gain...I reckon the alcohol killed all the fat molecules...Go figure!!!

Was it diet whiskey?

funny

Went away to Dubai for five days with my wife. We booked in all you can eat and drink … To sum it up had a great five days away and it didn't cost me any weight gain...I reckon the alcohol killed all the fat molecules...Go figure!!!
Was it diet whiskey?
funny
I won a knockout trivia quiz on the basis that I knew vodka was not calorie-free…

Doco on SBS @ 8.30. “The Diet Myth”, … “turns conventional wisdom on it’s head, … we now know some bacteria are our allies”

Went away to Dubai for five days with my wife. We booked in all you can eat and drink … To sum it up had a great five days away and it didn't cost me any weight gain...I reckon the alcohol killed all the fat molecules...Go figure!!!
Was it diet whiskey?
funny
I won a knockout trivia quiz on the basis that I knew vodka was not calorie-free…
Really? Really? People didn't realise that? Idiots.

FYI alcohol (the ethanol part) 28kJ/g

(Fat 38kJ/g, Carb 17kJ/g, Protein 16kJ/g)

Doco on SBS @ 8.30. "The Diet Myth", ... "turns conventional wisdom on it's head, ... we now know some bacteria are our allies"

whonwpuldve thought, fecal transplants are the future of weight loss

It was the last question, only two of us left. She answered first; I was gracious enough not to burst out laughing.

My other favourite trivia quiz moment was another yes/no knockout moment. The very first question was ‘is the Great Wall of China visible to the naked eye from space?’ I was urgently gesturing to my table’s members to vote ‘no’. 60 people got knocked out and my team was instantly 8 of the last 15 standing.

Doco on SBS @ 8.30. "The Diet Myth", ... "turns conventional wisdom on it's head, ... we now know some bacteria are our allies"

Just watching that now. Headline news!! Fibre is good for you and junk food is bad.

Who would have thought?

whonwpuldve thought, fecal transplants are the future of weight loss

Yep, … seems the key to shedding the kegs is to get a little ■■■■■■ about it …

Just watching that now. Headline news!! Fibre is good for you and junk food is bad.

Who would have thought?

It’s more than that though … avoid anti biotics unless absolutely necessary, … throw away your anti bacterial bullshitt, let you kids play in the dirt … & even eat it… eat veg straight out of the ground, without too much washing, avoid fibreless crap … etc etc

Stinky cheese eh? … The stinkier the better.

Could that explain the french paradox??

And he was eating Agave I think? Tequila just got added to the morning smoothie, for health reasons

Every time j see this thread I just think Margery Dawes off little Britain and cravings.
Hello fat fighters!

Every time j see this thread I just think Margery Dawes off little Britain and cravings. Hello fat fighters!
Did they rip that off 'League of Gentlemen' too? Such an extraordinarily creative show, no idea how they avoided the lawyers. About 3 or 4 of their main repeated sketches were ripped off a show from 3-4 years earlier.

I was thinking the other day how there was a few similarities with Pauline.
What are the other sketches?

I think I need to start.

Weight sitting about 90, which has put me into the obese category.