Weight loss

Next you’ll be sayin Froot Loops aren’t real Froot!

Get into a routine.

I can’t maintain healthy eating without being in a strict routine. It’s way too easy to eat junk when you’re not prepared (and because, lets face it, it tastes way better).

Working at home vs working in an office is big for me when it comes to eating. Without a full kitchen and fridge at my disposal I’m forced to eat whatever I prepare in advance, and if I’m putting some time/thought into what I eat I’ll actually force myself to eat healthy.

Of course, semi-frozen chicken and some lame as vegetables for lunch is SUPER boring but it’s way healthier than toasted cheese sandwiches with double cheese…

Oh and as much as eating may be more important than exercise, exercise is awesome. I ride my bike like crazy so that I can still pig out on the regs.

But then I have the metabolism of a teenager and the build of a meth addict so I’m not the best to give advice.

Heh. That made me laugh. On a Monday morning. Thanks.

Best advice I ever heard

“Good bodies are made in the kitchen not the gym”

Quote H Lectre, 1991.

I’ve lost 38kg so far since April. If anyone wants to hear what has helped me, read on, otherwise carry on with the rest of your life.

• If you’re going to start, accept that the changes you make are going to be permanent. Not “do this for a few weeks then go back to KFC”. Part of this is accepting that you’re going to be tired, grumpy and hungry most of the time (you won’t be, but you’re ready for the times you will be).

• Don’t go bananas with exercise. Start with someone you can do with a little tiny bit of discomfort. Build from there. So like go to the gym once a week, add in a second visit after a while. Or start with a daily walk on your lunch break. Again, it’s building lifelong habits, not a “do this for a while then back to the couch” season. I started with going to the footy oval and running a lap, walking half, running full, walking half, etc for 10 laps total. Now I’m doing 15km-18km runs once a week to prepare for a marathon. Build it up slowly.

• Fight cravings. They’ll pass. They get less frequent, then they go altogether. This happens after 2-3 weeks. You’ll get through it, I believe in you.

• If food is a comfort/de-stress/sign-of-love-and-affection kind of thing, go and see a psychologist if you’re serious about changing your life. For me this has been the difference between this round of weight loss and those in the past (where I ended up piling it back on).

• Eat a bit less of everything. The amount you’re currently eating is more than you need.

• Look for better alternatives to what you eat. Have a banana instead of a bag of chips. Almonds instead of a chocolate bar. Brown rice instead of pasta. Do some homework.

• Don’t deny yourself everything, just make some compromises. I’ll get a burger for dinner, but won’t have chips.

• Plan your eating. Pre-make some meals for those days you come home and CBF cooking. If you’re going out to a party, eat some decent food beforehand so you’re not snacking all night.

• Share your new-found food knowledge with your partner and friends. Prepare them some awesome meals you’ve learned to make. This has been the best and most enjoyable part of it for me.

I'd suggest trying to stick with food that will be filling and not cause snack cravings. I've found having a good breakfast stops the snacking between breakfast and lunch.

Get into a bowl of oats every morn. Low GI, heaps of energy & keep you sated for ages.

I’m an ‘on the go’ breakfast kind of guy so sit down breakfasts don’t go well.
I usually have an Up And Go drink with a few muesli bars and that keeps me from snacking.

Okey doke. So Oat smoothie it is then.

Try 1 banana (or half) 1 egg, 1 to 1 & 1/2 cups milk, + half a cup of oats in a blender.

Add milo, or honey, or strawberrys instead. You can even throw in yoghurt.

Here’s some other ideas. You’ll never get bored.

I guarantee, anyone who does this for just a week, won’t just change their waistline… it will truly change your life.

can we just confirm the recipe, is it
1/2-1 Banana (thought these were high in sugar)
1 egg (egg and white?)
1-1 1/2 milk (assuming full cream is allowed)
ill probably just add some frozen berries

whats the rest of the meals for the day?

You want fruit bananas, not the little lollies

Fruit bananas. Love it!

Well done simmo.

good thread. Good luck billy and you’re not alone. I’m at stage zero. Know I need to do something and need to start. 94kgs - need to lose 20.

38 kilos is a serious chunk of weight Simmo.

Well done.
Sounds like you’re going to keep it off as well !

Walk while reading bomberblitz. You’ll be healthier but really angry.

Walk while reading bomberblitz. You'll be healthier but really angry.

Belting carnts till the early morn

simmo forgot a key step.

if you want to eat, shitpost on blitz instead.

There’s various diet plans that involve counting points instead of kilojoules (I think there may be plans that don’t do this however). The meetings are about “weighing in” and support. Some do guest speakers to. I do know of men who have done it, but the support part tends to lean more towards women.

There's various diet plans that involve counting points instead of kilojoules (I think there may be plans that don't do this however). The meetings are about "weighing in" and support. Some do guest speakers to. I do know of men who have done it, but the support part tends to lean more towards women.

Thanks, Megz. I haven’t seen them weighing in; maybe this happens in a part that’s not visible through the window. Nobody looks as though they’re having a very good time. I guess I don’t think I’d much enjoy sitting around with a bunch of people I hardly know talking about how fat I feel.

I wonder what Oprah will do to it. Branch out into prepared meals, perhaps? Light and Easy seem to be going quite well at the moment.

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know how Weight Watchers works? There's one I walk past most days at lunchtime and there is always a group of about a dozen women sitting around in a circle. What do they actually do?

Apart from the fact that I’ve never seen a single male in there, the other thing I’ve noticed is that none of the women seem to be very much overweight. I can’t recall seeing anyone that I would call obese (unlike the lifts in my building, where I would genuinely estimate that one in every three or four women who get in is definitely obese, and at least another one is noticeably overweight), and they mostly look like average sized women.

Anyway, do they do motivational talks, or prescribe diets, or sell prepared meals like Light and Easy, or what?

My ex-gf was with them for a while. It’s a points-based calorie counting type diet, basically, and you can earn extra points by doing an amount of exercise over a certain threshold. There’s a little book they give out that has the ‘points’ value of almost every type and brand of food imaginable, and you have to keep below your daily limit. They also sell a range of diet foods - frozen dinners, lo-cal desserts etc - in supermarkets etc, with the points value displayed prominently. Mind you, lots of their food ends up at my local NQR, so I’m not sure how popular it is. I suspect they have some scheme or other where they’ll provide you with all your meals from their range as well.

The meet-ups are i think an effort to make it more of a social thing, part misery loves company, part motivation by not wanting to look bad in front of the group.

I tried all these diets, all at once, ate everything mentioned and put on 10 kg!

That’s the problem with diet advertising. They don’t say it explicitly, but the implicit message is, You can really pig out on all this delicious stuff day after day and you’ll look like Elle McPherson in a couple of weeks!

It’s not surprising that most people who sign up don’t last the course.

Statistical fact (at least as of 2011): less than 10% of people with a Fitness First gym membership use it over a 6 month period, and something like 70% have never used memberships they have paid and signed up for

There’s a gym chain in the US I was listening to a podcast about, all of their gyms have 10x more members than the place can hold at once. Because they know no-one turns up. For the ones who do they come to use the massage chairs while the workout gear is hidden in a back room.

It’s the most cynical business model I’ve seen and it works a treat. When the first one opened up near by I gave it three months. Now there are 4 of this style of gym within a 5k radius. The idea that enough people will pay for something they won’t use is mental.

It’s actually a more common business model than you’d think too. Costco bases their stores around the idea of you having a membership and never coming in

This is why the gym idea isn’t mine. My problem is that I overestimate people. In my mind, there is no farking way that people would sign up for this kind of deal. That’s why I’m sweating my box off in suburban Perth and the good people behind JETS probably live in Port Douglas.

Wife wanted KFC after a rubbish nights sleep last night (due to sick child)… I cooked steak and vegies… got the evil stare but she can thank me later :wink:

Wife wanted KFC after a rubbish nights sleep last night (due to sick child).. I cooked steak and vegies... got the evil stare but she can thank me later ;)
Good lad

I wonder if mentioning that having intercourse leads to more calorie burning will lead to more of it… might be pushing it…

1 Like
I wonder if mentioning that having plentiful, vigorous and lengthy intercourse, leads to more calorie burning will lead to more of it.. might be pushing it..

fixed

I wonder if mentioning that having plentiful, vigorous and lengthy intercourse, leads to more calorie burning will lead to more of it.. might be pushing it..

fixed

And you canvassed the idea on blitz. That will seal the deal