Welcome Home Harvs?

We also need to appoint some one who wont be unhappy to step down at the end of next year......  Goodwin might want to get a full time coaching job instead....

We also need to appoint some one who wont be unhappy to step down at the end of next year......  Goodwin might want to get a full time coaching job instead....

If he doesn't get a full time job next year, it seems a perfect fit for Goodwin to coach for a year, to gain experience, show his wares, and to step up for a full time job elsewhere the following year. 

If he doesn't get a full time job next year, it seems a perfect fit for Goodwin to coach for a year, to gain experience, show his wares, and to step up for a full time job elsewhere the following year. 

I really have my doubts that James will return at all. I pretty sure he won't step straight back in at rnd 24 next year. Otherwise, Goodwin could join the elite group of being a one year coach who's coached a premiership team. 

I look at it this way.

Harvey was a part of Sheedy's band of brothers who delivered the 2000 premiership.

Of that group of players and coaches there appears to be a return to that group.

Whilst Fletcher remains as a player, his team-mate in Heffernan now sits on the Essendon board and is on the coaching selection panel.

Is there more to come.

Say harvey does get the job...could we see fellow 2000 premiership architect Robert Shaw return?

There is already a fair amount of mail that suggest Lloydy wants to come back if he asked to.

Great. A spud. Just what we ******* need. May as well have just given "Wallet" the job.

I disagree, i thought he did an okay job at Freo, also I dont think he had an opportunity to show his worth. I belive the Dockers said at the time, he was only let go because Lyon was available.

From memory he took over half way through a year and won a couple of games, he then started a re-build and in his third full year got them to the finals and beat up on the Hawks. In his fourth year, the team had an injury list as long as ours in 2012. I think he gets a bad wrap because of the manner in which he was let go, I think he'll add plenty to the coaching panel, thus he's the perfect candidate from outside the club, I dont feel Goodwin is ready.

We also need to appoint some one who wont be unhappy to step down at the end of next year...... Goodwin might want to get a full time coaching job instead....

I really have my doubts that James will return at all. I pretty sure he won't step straight back in at rnd 24 next year. Otherwise, Goodwin could join the elite group of being a one year coach who's coached a premiership team.

He may not step back in straight away (depending on where we finish on the ladder) but he will return for 2015.
He extended his contract until 2016 just before the sanctions were handed down. James Hird will coach Essendon in 2015 and beyond.

Barassi anyone?
Seriously, I'm not unhappy with this potential appointment, there are plenty of better options around but Harvs is Essendon and whilst he has an ego like anyone else, a lot of the better suitors might find it hard to drop their ego WHEN (not, if) Hird returns. I think he did a reasonable job in the west, better than most would give him credit for and whilst Brisbane are showing more heart this season I'm sure our man from Keilor had something to do with that.

Secondly the resolution to this unusual situation is not simple either way you look at it.

No. Just... no.

Great. A spud. Just what we ******* need. May as well have just given "Wallet" the job.

I disagree, i thought he did an okay job at Freo, also I dont think he had an opportunity to show his worth. I belive the Dockers said at the time, he was only let go because Lyon was available.

From memory he took over half way through a year and won a couple of games, he then started a re-build and in his third full year got them to the finals and beat up on the Hawks. In his fourth year, the team had an injury list as long as ours in 2012. I think he gets a bad wrap because of the manner in which he was let go, I think he'll add plenty to the coaching panel, thus he's the perfect candidate from outside the club, I dont feel Goodwin is ready.

Actually Michael Voss's coaching improved once Harvey came on board.  Make of that what you will.

Wait a minute... Harvey is spud, but dean bailey would have been a good choice?
Harvey was a poor list manager... But an above average game day coach, which is what we are after.

Wait a minute... Harvey is spud, but dean bailey would have been a good choice?
Harvey was a poor list manager... But an above average game day coach, which is what we are after.

Bailey is a good coach. When his employers let him be.

Not saying he is the answer, but he's worth a look if you ignore the non tanking saga.

But it'll probably be someone else though. We have enough taint already really.

From memory he took over half way through a year and won a couple of games, he then started a re-build and in his third full year got them to the finals and beat up on the Hawks. In his fourth year, the team had an injury list as long as ours in 2012. I think he gets a bad wrap because of the manner in which he was let go, I think he'll add plenty to the coaching panel, thus he's the perfect candidate from outside the club, I dont feel Goodwin is ready.
He did a rebuild with Mark Johnson and Solly and a Carr (did they also get John Barnes as an assistant?). Then that failed, miserably, so they stopped letting him have any say at all, from then on they went OK.
Fair to say he learnt off Sheedy.
4 years and a bit, 1 finals win, 40%, meh.

From memory he took over half way through a year and won a couple of games, he then started a re-build and in his third full year got them to the finals and beat up on the Hawks. In his fourth year, the team had an injury list as long as ours in 2012. I think he gets a bad wrap because of the manner in which he was let go, I think he'll add plenty to the coaching panel, thus he's the perfect candidate from outside the club, I dont feel Goodwin is ready.
He did a rebuild with Mark Johnson and Solly and a Carr (did they also get John Barnes as an assistant?). Then that failed, miserably, so they stopped letting him have any say at all, from then on they went OK.

how many finals have we won in the last 10 years?

All the more reason to get a good coach. Your comment typifies this club at the moment. we've won none so get someone that has won one. I don't think so.

Let's go the whole hog and get Schwab then

I hear Coleman is hanging around the front of the MCG looking for a gig.

Better not be ■■■■■■ bailey, no tanks

Barassi anyone?
Seriously, I'm not unhappy with this potential appointment, there are plenty of better options around but Harvs is Essendon and whilst he has an ego like anyone else, a lot of the better suitors might find it hard to drop their ego WHEN (not, if) Hird returns. I think he did a reasonable job in the west, better than most would give him credit for and whilst Brisbane are showing more heart this season I'm sure our man from Keilor had something to do with that.

Secondly the resolution to this unusual situation is not simple either way you look at it.

barras is starting to get dementia i think (((  sad

and we also need a coach who might be there for more than a year if this asada stuff attacks hirdy again , im sure there are still people angry he didnt cave in like a sack of spuds and will have 1 year to prepare their next assault.

I think Solly was ok for them, in particular when you consider it was in a time when they lost a lot of players with experience, furthermore I think Connolly got him to the club. Anyway every club has one or two bad trades etc., however to be fair let‘s see who he brought into the club and who he developed over those years. Some are playing at other clubs at the moment, however a very large bulk are playing this weekend. Those with asterisk played finals under Harvey.

I don‘t think Harvs gets enough credit for the foundations he set in place at Freo.

Palmer

Mayne*

Johnson*

Hill*

Suban*

Ballantyne

Clarke

Walters*

De Boer*

Pearce

VanBerlo

Broughton*

Morabito*

Fyfe*

Roberton*

Barlow

Silvagni*

Goodwin seems bound for Brisbane which some say is a good thing as Goodwin was a part of "the not a good look, club" both at Adelaide and Essendon.  It is time for a changing of the guard and for us at the EFC to clean up our act.