#14 Jordan Ridley -- ADDITIONAL 3 YEARS (till 2029)

Its the Essendon farewell tour, Cant understand why we do it tbh

3 Likes

Itā€™s probably a safety thing. Itā€™s delisting, but you still get another year to look at them to make sure. Long Iā€™d persevere with ahead of Morgan. He just has that bit of class when he has the ball that makes you think there is a player there to work with.

1 Like

Excited to see this bloke play.

I think its a lack balls to make the decision to just cut and move on, done it with Hams, Steinberg, Mckernan, Eades. Just make the hard call and move on. Iā€™d much rather we have another crack at a bloke like Tippa or Draper, I think thats what the rookie draft is for, not making sure that this player might turn out ok.

2 Likes

I might be alone, but I like the delist and rookie move.

Every year we make the call on 6-12 guys. The very last one we think might give us something going forward we give that extra lifeline. Itā€™s the last spot on the list, and we can delist them the next year.

Itā€™s not the worst strategy. McKernan for example I feel has been important for us in 3 games this year. For the last spot on the list, Iā€™d suggest thatā€™s good value over a 10 year period (or however long weā€™ve been re-rookieing blokes).

2 Likes

Yep, there is definitely more than one way to use rookie list spots.

McKernan was unlucky to be forced onto the rookie list according to Dodoro at the time, they wanted the draft pick and got Dylan Clarke who seems a chance to make it as an inside mid which we desperately need going forward.

McKernan getting a midseason promotion reinforces this view. Eades was contracted this year, and was much more of a roll of the dice. Jake Long is the tough call this year, but we know he wonā€™t be a rookie, he needs to show something and soon as far as being a worthy senior player is concerned,

1 Like

In the case of Morgan id give the club some slack. Due to his injuries he hasnā€™t had a fair run at it.

Has the tools to be a player but time will tell

Looking forward to seeing him at Windy Hill this wknd

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing him on Channel 7 from my couch :slight_smile:

Very keen on Ridley

1 Like

Heā€™s already shot ahead of Jerrett & Morgan in the space of a few games.

1 Like

Plus Jay Neagle, Tyson Slattery, Kurt Aylett.

I mean, just because it didnā€™t work the first 7 times, doesnā€™t mean it should be stopped!

I do understand it for Mckernan, and even Steinberg to an extent. These are guys who had played AFL, and can come straight in to senior footy to provide depth.

Morgan hasnā€™t gotten anywhere near senior footy while on the senior list, why on earth would it be different on the rookie list?

Itā€™s a waste of a spot.

5 Likes

Heā€™s been here all of 18 months and been injured for 9? of them

I donā€™t really know what else to say. He was rated inside the top 40 of his draft, it doesnā€™t make sense to chop him at the first opportunity. Not like weā€™ll have much of a squeeze for spots.

Also Iā€™d love to know the hit rate for 3rd+ round rookie picks to even play 1 game.

3 Likes

Then why cut him at all? Iā€™m not even meaning to comment on Morgan specifically, Iā€™d have no issue if he got more time on the main list.

But if the decison is made at the end of the year to not keep him on the main listā€¦ Well then, the real decison on him has been made, the rookie list is just a way of delaying the inevitable.

Cut him, or donā€™t cut him. Stop wasting time with a half measure that has a strong recent history of never working.

1 Like

I think rookie spots might change next year and be on the main list.

1 Like

Weā€™re waaaaay more likely to find a decent player in the rookie draft by picking a previously undrafted player compared to drafting a delisted Essendon player.

Howlett
Hocking
Crameri
Baguley
Ambrose
Tippa
McKenna

vs

McKernan?

3 Likes

Well under the new CBA signed off last week theyā€™re now available to play senior footy at any stage, so weā€™re pretty much there already.

1 Like

What he said, 100 percent spot on

I sort of see the logic of a Rookie list spot for Morgan if we think he has the talent and itā€™s just his injury issues that put him in doubt. Rookies usually involve a bit of a speculative element, so it would make sense to persevere if we think injuries are the only thing holding him back and we genuinely donā€™t know whether he can overcome them.

If weā€™re sure he has the talent and we think heā€™ll come good, he should stay on the main list. If weā€™re not sure of the first bit, or certain his body isnā€™t up to AFL intensity in the long term, heā€™s probably in line to be cut altogether.

Where is Mason Redman in this discussion, by the way?