#16 Josh “Fridge” Begley

Link

Joshua Begley was unsuccessful in making this year’s Vic Metro squad, not representing Vic Metro during the AFL Under-18 Championships. He did however receive an invite to this year’s AFL Draft Combine, one of 80 to receive an invite.

Making a name for himself as a forward, kicking 16 goals from his first four games this season, Begley has since showed prowess playing primarily through the midfield. Begley has featured in the bests for Eastern in eight of a possible 12 games and has 23 goals to his name so far this season.

Against the Geelong Falcons, he had his lowest disposal total in any game in which he has not kicked a goal this season, with 16 touches, eight contested possessions, eight tackles, five clearances and one score assist for the game.

Playing through the midfield against Geelong, Begley lined up at stoppages against one of next year’s gun midfield prospects in James Worpel, overall breaking even, with Worpel like Begley not achieving his regular numbers through the midfield.

Begley at 187cm, 87kg is already very strongly developed physically and is someone who has a presence to him out on the field. He wins first possession at stoppages, tackles aggressively, marks strongly overhead and crashes packs.

Analysis

Begley has proven to be an effective ball user this season. He is not only a good finisher around goal and from set shots but also hits his targets by foot over a variety of distances. At stoppages he also dishes out well by hand to teammates.

His most pressing deficiencies are a lack of pace, agility and endurance. Begley seems to have dropped some weight and covers the ground better than he did earlier in the season, but further work is still needed. He also often feels more influential earlier in games, which again comes back to his fitness base.

With a few pre-seasons into him, the hope would be that he develops an AFL body and improves his running ability while still retaining his power game that makes him an impactful player.

Begley at this stage is seen as someone who will come under consideration in this year’s draft from the third round onwards.

How many consecutive brownlows?

“Yeah woosh. We’ve found this kid out east. Hes a bit fat. Bit of an unfashionable mover like Swanny. But hes kicking goals like you wouldnt believe, times his leads, can outmark and outposition anyone his height, is a beautiful kick on the run and at goal , has surprising running power and can hurt blokes like a freight train around the stoppages”.

“Wtf? We can barely score and You’re gonna risk letting him get to pick f#$&ing 30???”

So far this kid is apparently like Parker, Crameri, Bell, Dickson, and Derek Kickett, haha. To add to the confusion my first impression from highlights was Paul Chapman.

I’m going Dane Swan

Rockliff

ALL THE PLAYERS

So far this kid is apparently like Parker, Crameri, Bell, Dickson, and Derek Kickett, haha. To add to the confusion my first impression from highlights was Paul Chapman.

I’m going Dane Swan

he is the best player to have ever played Australian Rules football.

Kicks well on both feet and knows where the goals are. Exciting prospect

Nice video. He makes the game look extremely easy.

Thought the same thing

Yeah some seemingly effortless plays in that

Anyone saying our draft crop lacked X-factor & excitement should watch the vid and look at his results from the combine.

Thought the same thing

Beautiful kicking action with easy power. If this kid statrs kicking across his body we know our development is farked.

Nothing wrong with his agility or acceleration to my eye.

Like the look of this kid. Someone said Luke Parker, good call. Very exciting prospect based on that 3 minutes of footage

Looks a good prospect.

all he does is KICK GOALS KICK GOALS KICK GOALS

One thing I don’t like.

When he’s on his left, he breaks with the trend and kicks with his left. Aren’t all kids supposed to kick with the outside of the preferred?

Yes…this is sarcasm.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-01-18/draft-prospect-joshua-begley

Recommend everyone to have a look

What a beautiful long kick for goal he is from a set shot or on the run. And the season racking up possessions in the midfield too means he could be anything.

Such a big body already. Will be so hard to stop when he gets a head of steam up.

Can see why they are so excited about him.

Dodoro just said that "Darren Bewick's opinion on him sold us. We hope he is right"

Get around him.

it's a justifiale strategy i reckon.

Agreed, especially when you consider the value of picks 20-40 is very flat, you’re guessing to some degree at that point https://hurlingpeoplenow.wordpress.com/2016/10/10/the-hpn-draft-pick-trade-value-chart-v2-0/