Former #40 Will “Snello” Snelling

He is another wonderful addition to our young emerging midfield group.

These are our current midfielders in that under 22 group;

Parish - 1997
Redman
Guelfi
Snelling

Mcgrath 1998
Draper
Clarke
Ridley
Begley
Mutch

Ham 1999

Mozzie 2000

2 Likes

Thats the core 2020s. Right there.

1 Like

It would good to get someone burrowing in at stoppages and tackling everyone in sight I reckon

1 Like

Then you add in Heppell, Shiel, Smith, and Merrett with Stringer, Fantasia and Walla making cameos.

Not to mention Lang 'n L.AV.*

*Yes, LAV … eventually.

Give him 49 next. It was good enough for one of true true greats… for a while.

Wish I knew his number changed. Watching v. Wweerriibbee I thought this Dale Marshall is pretty good. Where did he come from? Now I know.

2 Likes

JUST PLAY HIM. HE HAS SPEED AND REASDS THE PLAY AS WELL AS ANYONE. PLAY HIM.

2 Likes

Was pretty good yesterday, wouldn’t be worthy of a call up just yet based on that game alone however he has now put together a solid month.

I’d still stick with Begley for now

It’s time, Begley has had over a month and really hasn’t done much at all.

In our top 3 verse Eagles.

I’m not sure of his tackling stats but seems like he is a key reason why our forward pressure has been elite 2 out of the past 3 weeks

2 tackles total last week. 1 inside 50.

1 Like

I’m a fan of Snelling as a pressure forward who can rotate through the midfield. Been very impressed with his work at the contest in the last few weeks.

3 Likes

Has Snelling actually played much as a forward in the VFL or has it mainly been as a mid and he’s just snuck forward a few times?

2 Likes

Yea but to be fair we didn’t even have a top 3 we were that bad against the eagles. He did kick 3 in a shocking team effort so I’ll give him that, but overall he’s virtually had no impact. Time to head back to seconds and time for someone else to have their shot

It looks like only a matter of when, not if for Essendon’s mid-season rookie recruit Will Snelling.

Jul 12 2019

8:10PM

Will Snelling on the run for Essendon in the VFL this year.Source: Getty Images

Melbourne midfielder Kyle Dunkley became the second player from May’s draft to play when he made his debut on Sunday, following Western Bulldogs recruit Ryan Gardner last month, but Snelling is banging down the door in the VFL right now.

The 21-year-old played one game for Port Adelaide in 2016 before being cut at the end of last year, but after amassing 33 disposals and seven tackles against Coburg on the weekend, he is edging closer towards an AFL return.

Live stream the 2019 Toyota AFL Premiership Season on KAYO SPORTS. Every match of every round. Live & anytime on your TV or favourite device. Get your 14 day free trial >

Will Snelling celebrates a goal against Werribee in the VFL.Source: Getty Images

The midfielder has averaged 27.2 disposals and 6.6 tackles in the five games he has played for the Bombers’ VFL team since arriving at Tullamarine at the end of May.

And his form extends well beyond that patch.

In the month before Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro plucked him out of the SANFL to fill the spot on the Bombers’ list vacated by Devon Smith, Snelling averaged 36.3 disposals, 13.5 tackles and 8.5 clearances for West Adelaide.

He amassed 15, 16 and 16 tackles in his final three games for the Bloods.

With skipper Dyson Heppell set to return from a foot injury for Saturday night’s clash against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium, Snelling might struggle to break in this weekend.

But it won’t be long before John Worsfold’s rewards his 2019 form.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the-stunning-sanfl-vfl-stats-that-could-lead-to-afl-spot-for-essendon-midseason-recruit-will-snelling/news-story/d4ed40b2eed34f4c35814223b359fdea

3 Likes

Cometh the moment, cometh the Mingma

1 Like

In W. Snelling
Out D. Smith (injured)

1 Like

Fast, agile midfielder, tackles through the roof. Seems like a strong candidate for a small forward position, with the odd rotation through the midfield. So who does he come in for? Tippa or Fanta? Fanta is not exactly setting the world on fire . Maybe sore . Time for a rest?

BRING