Welcome to Essendon - #49 Jaiden Hunter - cower before him, 2024

It would have been great if he kicked it, and he is generally a pretty reliable set shot. But it was far from a sure thing. Can’t be srsed re watching it but a lot of things went wrong after his mark for us to lose that game.

3 Likes

Personally I blame Jones for the Pies winning the flag this year.
Stay with me on this had jones kicked that goal pies wouldn’t have won that comeback game giving them confidence to run down teams and therefore started the Collingwood run over the last two years.

8 Likes

And we probably still have Rutten as coach and Campbell and Brasher still running the show.

Good luck at Essendon, Jaiden. It’s just a bitter symphony (and the drugs don’t work, they just make it worse).

2 Likes

2 Likes

so we’ve recruited a ruck/defender to play as a forward

2 Likes

Look at those noodle arms

1 Like

Delist /s

2 Likes

To give him some credit, it was at the very end of a gruelling game and he looked buggered. The point should have been enough and the many of his teammates may as well have immediately run straight down the race. Just horrible to watch

I’m sure that was about 30m out. But it seems to get closer and closer every year.

8 Likes

This has probably already been asked and answered, but why exactly are we cowering before him?

2 Likes

6 Likes

I was there. I as just inside the arc.

Ruined everything for the next 15 years.

3 Likes

How will Hunter and Langford go in the forward area together ?

Close enough isnt it?

1 Like

A considered question requires a considered answer.

Langford has excelled at playing forward flank, normally considered a tough position to hold down. I dunno if Langford’s deodorant is no good, but how he manages to get on his own so often is uncanny. Long may he keep doing what he’s been doing. I doubt that any change of team make-up is going to effect the way Langford is currently playing.

Hunter is a relatively unknown quantity (therefore a messiah) but should his few glimpses of quality output convert to sustained senior AFL forward craft and he is regularly selected to play. I would move 2MP to center half forward and plonk Hunter at full forward.

Reason:
To break opposition foward press, I suggest having a more roaming 2MP as a marking option at our goal side of the press. Hunter’s 196cm 93kg frame to try stay goal-side of the press and of 2MP. When Hunter is within our 50m, to mark or bring the ball to ground for crumbers.

The question is, if Hunter proves to be “a player”. Which talls will be selected.
2MP
Langford
Hunter
Stringer
Jones
Weideman
Martin

Resting ruck forwards
Draper
Bryan
Goldstein

Swing men forwards
Cox
Baldwin

6 Likes

We’d been giving them a good run up to that point. But then Geelong suddenly woke up and proceeded to stomp us into the turf with much ease.

1 Like

It’s been a few years but we may well have a good problem to solve finally. Our forward line balance. Straight up, I always prefer natural forwards.

So all things equal I’d like to see us starting 2024 like:
Perkins 2MP Martin
Stringer Langford Manzie

And with the odd injury, form and reshuffle, come the bye it might well be:

Gresham Jones Guelfi
Langford Hunter Menzie

As we near season end for mine it could be:
Perkins 2MP Gresham
Langford Hunter Menzie

Net result? I reckon Menzie, Gresham, Langers and 2MP are all likely locks. Hunter the bolter. Martin will migrate back to midfield. And so during next season and for a variety of reasons it’s for Harry, Guelfi, ADJ, Tex and Jake to chalenge for, or reclaim their positions.

2 Likes

The season end forward line could be anything. Very hopeful.

Our forward line looks better without String in it. For mine, he only plays when AFL fit and in form. On past experience, I don’t expect him to be playing many AFL games.

I believe we have decent forward coverage, and a 50% String doesn’t offer a lot, as we have seen.

That of course assumes we lessen the player breakage factor.

4 Likes

Lessening the player breakage factor.

Someone mentioned that “a fit and firing Stringer is a wonderous thing to behold”. But that sight is as rare as rocking horse ■■■■. And yep, his historical lack of fitness and susceptibility to injury may cost him a place in Essendon’s best 22 this season.

Let’s at least hope there’s selection pressure on Jake to present in better condition.

2 Likes